• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2019 Oshkosh Review

I am in the affirmative camp. Each trip to Osh is unique. This trip I had the pleasure of taking 3 first timers and I assume they will all return. Took my 83 year old father for what will likely be his last trip. Road in Doc with my son and friends. Saw the coolest fireworks show I’ve ever seen, met Mike Patey and saw Steve Pierces cub! And I spent close to 5K with vendors. Can’t wait to go back!
Sounds like a fantastic trip. Sorry I missed you. Is my Cub as ugly as I post? :lol:

Eddie Foy
Understand completely what you said
Also get the attraction to all the noise by most
My only point in all this is to say that for what it costs in fuel in one of the noise events EAA could easily provide an area where folks could showcase their talents and products at a reasonable cost
After all that is what originally brought all this together
And yes osh is the best ever

Don't know about Sun-n-Fun but Oshkosh seems to be going strong and maybe even getting bigger every year.
Back in the day, the Arlington Fly-in near Seattle was billed as the third largest fly-in in the country (behind those two),
but it has been getting smaller & smaller over the past several years.
Why is it shrinking and the other two growing,
and what if anything can be done to reverse that trend?

Don't know about Sun-n-Fun but Oshkosh seems to be going strong and maybe even getting bigger every year.
Back in the day, the Arlington Fly-in near Seattle was billed as the third largest fly-in in the country (behind those two),

I can't t speak to why one venue grows and another deminishes, but...

It's been pointed out before that we have effectively locked out most of the kids and adults who might have been interested in flying.
Take down the fences around the general aviation portion of our airports. Take kids for a ride. Be more open about aviation with your acquaintances. Too often I see pilots act as if they were in some exclusive fraternity when around nonflyers.
I aspired to fly after an old guy I met at an airport took me around the patch once. I think I was 12. Couldn't believe I was in the air, and was amazed that anyone could afford their own private aircraft.
Here I am, 60 years and quite a few aircraft later. Liability be damned. I give anybody who looks interested a ride.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using SuperCub.Org mobile app

If you have an interest in aviation then Oshkosh will always have something for you. Simply ignore or walk past what is not of your interest. Yes, miracle ladders and household product vendors seem out of place and annoying but until they exceed the aviation content of the show I ignore them as well. I have been going to the EAA fly in since 1963 when it was in Rockford. I have missed many but have made many as well. There is a lack of homebuilt airplanes but still something for everybody. Seems to be an unwritten rule that a monsoon comes through and wipes out the campground and makes life more challenging but that is Oshkosh. Glad to hear of good attendance and as Mike Vivion posted, lots of young people. We need 'em.

Sitting in a tent in a rainstorm is just part of the Oshkosh experience. Or New Holstein 20150718_053102.jpeg

Attachments

• 20150718_053102.jpeg
    20150718_053102.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 223
Steve, your cub has character! Watched you guys fly on Friday night, stopped by the stol corral once but it was deserted . Can’t wait for next time!

EAA just announced that a total of 10,000 airplane visited Airventure this year. 1,000 of those were homebuilts.

show me anywhere else that number or diversity of airplanes can be seen, most close up.

MTV

950 Van's RV's..... Of course I'm being facetious but only a little. I should have said in my post there is a lack of scratch built homebuilts at OSH. In the older times builders built from raw materials. EAA was founded on that. Many that attend OSH think that you open a box and it comes out mostly finished. Probably my grumpy old man coming out but I still appreciate all homebuilts and restorations.

Last edited:
don't know about sun-n-fun but oshkosh seems to be going strong and maybe even getting bigger every year.
Back in the day, the arlington fly-in near seattle was billed as the third largest fly-in in the country (behind those two),

move it to the middle of the country

I live in the United States of America. Thank you to all service men and women past and present. Isn’t our country great! Especially those load and fast cool jets!

i would like to see all the aerial applicator companys there and have water pattern demos up and down the runways at least 3 of the days. couldnt resist.:lol: i guess we all have different likings but it has nothing to do with veterans.

I loved it as always (even though it got cut short by minor family emergency). There’s something for everyone. Due to the weather closing the field on Monday I took my floatplane to the seaplane base....I camped in vintage with a sc.org friend (thanks Denny). I left Wednesday (too soon) but at least I flew in some of the nicest weather this summer��. I got to watch my buddy Rick and the one and only Steve Pierce in the STOL competition on Tuesday...great job guys. Wish I’d have had more time to visit... maybe next year.

i would like to see all the aerial applicator companys there and have water pattern demos up and down the runways at least 3 of the days. couldnt resist.:lol: i guess we all have different likings but it has nothing to do with veterans.

They did it but don't remember how many days. Thrush and Air Tractor were there. They filled the Air Tractor up with a water hose shutting down a toilet trailer for over 2 hours. They got a water trailer the next day. Pic and story from the pilot/engineer from Air Tractor.
FB_IMG_1564572912051.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1564572912051.jpg
    FB_IMG_1564572912051.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 437
Back