Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Oshkosh Review

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Oshkosh Review

Call me OLD SCHOOL yeah i deserve it but after just returning home from the show one of the things most notable is ABSENCE!!!

Gone are the days when the show was more about the builder along with new venders showcasing their new stuff

Now the show seems to be more of a tourist attraction, yes the noise of the jets is cool but in the A B C D hangers is mostly about flight schools and
    furniture and empty booth spaces
    Guess show management has priced out small business
    Will i return,yes but likely will start going maybe every other year
    Thanks Cattle cub, 8GCBC thanked for this post
    Likes flylowslow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more with you C-YQK. I've been going since the early 80's and now only go every few years for the same reasons you stated.

On the plus side, it is now a great place to go if you want to do some car shopping or buy a massage chair

Paul K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, i used to go all week, now its only for a few days, and that's mostly to walk the vintage area.

For me, what will be interesting to see is how long the vintage aircraft stick around. Not only because its an aging fleet of planes but also the demographic. I dont see many people my age (under 30) interested in the older planes.
    Likes super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I went was 1988. 100 plus degree temps, and the usual storms. I was giving Kitfox demo rides for Dan Denny, company founder. He slipped me 25 bucks for every ride I gave, and I gave a lot. Too many, I guess I got burned out on the crowds, heat, and long lines for even the porta potties. Since then, during the event, I make a special effort to make a epic flight in Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana. 32 degrees the other day at Henry's Lake! Breakfast at Bridger! RON in Butte, then on a cool Sunday morning a 9032' ridge landing near the Gravleey Range on the way home! With one brake, it turned out.
    But I missed Oskosh, again, boo hoo. Best way is to have friends that go, with similar interests to yours, then debrief them upon their return.
    Thanks 8GCBC, botto thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Old Blue has a good point. 20 years ago nobody would sell their plane abroad. Nowadays all the American antiques are steadily being sold around the world.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    New Holstein sure is nice that time of year...
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes wireweinie, FdxLou, rmac, Chopperguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it was a good show but not what it used to be vendor wise, there were several that I wanted to meet with that were unfortunately absent.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    New Holstein sure is nice that time of year...
    New Holstein was EPIC this year!
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes SJ, FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I got there Sunday night and left Thursday morning. This is only my second time going, and first time flying in so maybe I am still quite enamored by the whole thing. I walked the ABCD exhibit hangars twice, spent some money at Wicks and spruce, and yea there was some hummingbird feeders and other random stuff that I was wondering why they were there. Spent some money at the fly market also, got a double inertia reel 4 pt harness for $19!

For me it was about the people and the airplanes. Matt Younkin, Kirby chambliss, patty wagstaff, Julie Clark in her final year.. Also very proud that SC.org was quite well represented at the STOL expo got to rub elbows with all those guys. I talked to Mikey McBryan and saw DTD, met and talked to Kevin Lacey, Randy Apling who is a real nice guy, Steve pierce, Kevin, Cory, Trent, Hal, Steve Henry, pops dory the list goes on...
    Got to drool all over the twin mustang, and a bunch of other very cool planes.
    Still pissing myself about the f35 pass at 100 ft and .94 Mach, and during the fray concert Monday night as the f22 was doing laps pointing his afterburners at the crowd and hammering around turns, all I could think about was I wonder how big his smile is right now?!
    I had an awesome week between New Holstein and Oshkosh, had a tear in my eye as we passed Fon du Lac on the way home because I did not want it to be over! Already making plans for next year.
    Thanks FdxLou, jaypratt thanked for this post
    Likes Bearhawk Builder, 40m, tcraft128, Sam D, SJ and 4 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The weather this year was fantastic once the show started. Great weather for sleeping in a tent. Lots of airplanes of all types there. And LOTS of young people, which is precisely what Aviation needs right now.

A friend rode out with me.....took us three days because of thunderstorms, but a great flight nevertheless. Good company and a good airplane.....what more could you want? Wound up camped just down from a bunch of SC.org types!

On arrival, notam said field was closed except to aircraft with “Tundra tires”. My partner looked down at my 8.50s and asked if they were tundra tires. I responded that they could be......landed and taxied to parking.

i met up with many old friends, which, with the airplanes, is what Oshkosh is all about to me.

Yes the exhibit barns barns were a little thin, but there was still waaaaay more stuff to see and do than you could do in one week anyway.

And Airframes AK was there!! How cool is that?

You know what they say about the difference between a jet and a pilot: The jet stops whining when it gets to the airport.

Ill be back. And can’t wait!

MTV
    Thanks jaypratt thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, cubdriver2, FdxLou, KevinJ, windy and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you have a chance to see the Titan powered S-21 fly? Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sunday morning I’m sitting in a friends yard 1.3 miles east of 18-36 watching the mass exodus going to the south. I would estimate half production half LSA homebuilt. Of the 100 plus that have flown over 2 Supercubs!! The mix of aircraft is the neat part.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a positive side, here is one of our members who was very happy to be working this past week, Maj, Jake Papp in front of his office.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7887.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	43891
    Last edited by CharlieN; 07-28-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the gyrocopter manufactures mentioned he didn’t go this year since it hasn’t helped with sales in the many past years of going, but it takes most of his staff away for 2-3 weeks in prep, travel and time at the show from building and selling. So can understand if it costs more than they make by attending.

Anyway, I prefer seeing the planes and events more too!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePA11 View Post
    One of the gyrocopter manufactures mentioned he didn’t go this year since it hasn’t helped with sales in the many past years of going, but it takes most of his staff away for 2-3 weeks in prep, travel and time at the show from building and selling. So can understand if it costs more than they make by attending.

Anyway, I prefer seeing the planes and events more too!

Dave
    Dave,

Agreed. I've spoken to a few of the vendors about this. The problem is that they often don't know when something someone saw initially at OSH caught their interest, and they eventually bought it. Those folks said they don't really expect to sell airplanes at OSH, but to get folks interested, and hope that interest will result in a sale later.

Nonetheless, exhibiting at OSH is expensive and takes a lot of people to prepare, transport and man an exhibit. As one manufacturer told me last year, "Hell, I can't afford NOT to come to Oshkosh, my customers all expect me to be there."

MTV
    Thanks G44 thanked for this post
    Likes Chicken Hawk, G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I go for the people. I walk through the buildings and look at stuff but I like looking at airplanes and talking to people. I go every year and have for longer than I can remember.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks FdxLou, jaypratt thanked for this post
    Likes CharlieN, 40m, jaypratt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I go for the people. I walk through the buildings and look at stuff but I like looking at airplanes and talking to people. I go every year and have for longer than I can remember.
    When Steve got diverted to talk to someone he saw walking the other direction (squirrel!), I told Cathy, "Just keep walking, he'll catch up. If you stop every time, he'll never learn."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
    When Steve got diverted to talk to someone he saw walking the other direction (squirrel!), I told Cathy, "Just keep walking, he'll catch up. If you stop every time, he'll never learn."
    She said it worked too.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not gone in three years but I am still stunned at what EAA is able to pull off. Sure it could be better here or there but I challenge any industry to have a better showcase than Oshkosh does for general aviation. They have to make the tent big enough to get the mass to cover their costs but still keep some kind of a theme. To me the military aspect goes wayyyyyy overboard but I know that is just me and yes their are vendors that seem out of place but if they see value then they are helping offset the price for the others. What I don't understand is having a booth and then staffing it with people who just sit and look at their phones. Those are probably the same companies that complain it isn't worth it.
    Where else can you get 600,000 people together (an estimate I realize) together with at least some interest in flying? The volunteers and organization of that event is stunning to me. Thank you EAA for putting on an event where so many people with an interest in aviation can come to play.
    Thanks CharlieN thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been going to KOSH since 1983, not every year but most of them. In 2017 we had the Blue Angles roaring overhead from sunrise to sunset, what a bloody irritation. At least I got many images of them flying formation with DOC. The F35s, can they not fly without afterburners on? Apparently not. Does the military pay for a major part of this show, maybe I will ask but I sure hope they do.

Is the military at this show to try and recruit our youth? Unfortunately most of our youth at that show can no longer pass a hearing test so they are no longer eligible to serve.

It was nice this year to actually see some top level aerobatics rather than old airplanes with jet engines that can not perform a true aerobatic manuver.

Having the helicopter perform maneuvers well beyond what many current show planes can, that was great. A couple of performers going right down to the hard deck like used to be done, that was very nice to see.

Seeing a parade of homebuilts like they used to do, fine with me, there are even a few of us who still build our own planes still just as I did when I first went there and still do now.

But many of the "acts" placed in front of us, I would much prefer to meet up with Steve and talk shop with him, well if we could hear each other with the unnecessary noise above us.

And with all that said, this is by far still the greatest aviation show on earth.
    Likes Cattle cub, marcusofcotton liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Charlie N
    I apologize if the "military" annoyed you. I spent 23 years of my life in the military so that you could attend Oshkosh and speak English. Afterburners still give me a woody. Others? Apparently not!

"Jet Noise...The Sound of Freedom!"
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 07-29-2019 at 05:33 PM.
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes 40m, DavePA11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Charlie N
    I apologize if the "military" annoyed you. I spent 23 years of my life in the military so that you could attend Oshkosh and speak English. Afterburners still give me a woody. Others? Apparently not!
    They have their shows that our planes are not allowed in. 75 years ago my father was doing his 99 missions in a B-25 My uncle did not like his tour in the North African desert all so so you could play with your little jets. And I am still in the Airforce reserve.

Post Thanks / Like
    EAA=experimental aircraft association

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you don't have to endure "unnecessary noise" when you are doing Reserve duty. You sound bitter for one in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    They have their shows that our planes are not allowed in. 75 years ago my father was doing his 99 missions in a B-25 My uncle did not like his tour in the North African desert all so so you could play with your little jets. And I am still in the Airforce reserve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's re-holster our pistols here fellers... ain't nobody needing to be shot.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks reliableflyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a discussion, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a curmudgeon, I very rarely watch air shows anymore. The jet noise is annoying to me but I realize there are a lot of people who love that stuff. I did stand and watch when the Blue Angels flew over when passing through from one air show to another and the missing man always overcomes me.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks WWhunter thanked for this post
    Likes AKjurnees liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    I admit that the post I responded to struck a nerve. I watched with rapt attention as the F-22 "burned" the crowd. Also as the Hog maneuvered almost silently. The "play with your little jets" pissed me off. I can give you the names of at least 12 mates that we buried during my career. Yes, we played occasionally. But the majority was training to stay alive or dodging bullets and Sams.

And that is all I have to say about that!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the affirmative camp. Each trip to Osh is unique. This trip I had the pleasure of taking 3 first timers and I assume they will all return. Took my 83 year old father for what will likely be his last trip. Road in Doc with my son and friends. Saw the coolest fireworks show I’ve ever seen, met Mike Patey and saw Steve Pierces cub! And I spent close to 5K with vendors. Can’t wait to go back!
    Thanks CharlieN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you I wish my Son and I could have gotten there we will try again next year
    EV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rice farmer View Post
    I am in the affirmative camp. Each trip to Osh is unique. This trip I had the pleasure of taking 3 first timers and I assume they will all return. Took my 83 year old father for what will likely be his last trip. Road in Doc with my son and friends. Saw the coolest fireworks show I’ve ever seen, met Mike Patey and saw Steve Pierces cub! And I spent close to 5K with vendors. Can’t wait to go back!
    Sounds like a fantastic trip. Sorry I missed you. Is my Cub as ugly as I post?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks Rice farmer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie Foy
    Understand completely what you said
    Also get the attraction to all the noise by most
    My only point in all this is to say that for what it costs in fuel in one of the noise events EAA could easily provide an area where folks could showcase their talents and products at a reasonable cost
    After all that is what originally brought all this together
    And yes osh is the best ever

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about Sun-n-Fun but Oshkosh seems to be going strong and maybe even getting bigger every year.
    Back in the day, the Arlington Fly-in near Seattle was billed as the third largest fly-in in the country (behind those two),
    but it has been getting smaller & smaller over the past several years.
    Why is it shrinking and the other two growing,
    and what if anything can be done to reverse that trend?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Hyrdflyr
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Don't know about Sun-n-Fun but Oshkosh seems to be going strong and maybe even getting bigger every year.
    Back in the day, the Arlington Fly-in near Seattle was billed as the third largest fly-in in the country (behind those two),
    but it has been getting smaller & smaller over the past several years.
    Why is it shrinking and the other two growing,
    and what if anything can be done to reverse that trend?
    I can't t speak to why one venue grows and another deminishes, but...

It's been pointed out before that we have effectively locked out most of the kids and adults who might have been interested in flying.
    Take down the fences around the general aviation portion of our airports. Take kids for a ride. Be more open about aviation with your acquaintances. Too often I see pilots act as if they were in some exclusive fraternity when around nonflyers.
    I aspired to fly after an old guy I met at an airport took me around the patch once. I think I was 12. Couldn't believe I was in the air, and was amazed that anyone could afford their own private aircraft.
    Here I am, 60 years and quite a few aircraft later. Liability be damned. I give anybody who looks interested a ride.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Sent from my R1 PLUS using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes CharlieN, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have an interest in aviation then Oshkosh will always have something for you. Simply ignore or walk past what is not of your interest. Yes, miracle ladders and household product vendors seem out of place and annoying but until they exceed the aviation content of the show I ignore them as well. I have been going to the EAA fly in since 1963 when it was in Rockford. I have missed many but have made many as well. There is a lack of homebuilt airplanes but still something for everybody. Seems to be an unwritten rule that a monsoon comes through and wipes out the campground and makes life more challenging but that is Oshkosh. Glad to hear of good attendance and as Mike Vivion posted, lots of young people. We need 'em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting in a tent in a rainstorm is just part of the Oshkosh experience. Or New Holstein Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150718_053102.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	43913

Post Thanks / Like
    Tool Time has a good story about FedEx Lou and a quality tent at N.H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, your cub has character! Watched you guys fly on Friday night, stopped by the stol corral once but it was deserted . Can’t wait for next time!

Post Thanks / Like
    EAA just announced that a total of 10,000 airplane visited Airventure this year. 1,000 of those were homebuilts.

show me anywhere else that number or diversity of airplanes can be seen, most close up.

MTV
    Likes Chesney, Rice farmer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    950 Van's RV's..... Of course I'm being facetious but only a little. I should have said in my post there is a lack of scratch built homebuilts at OSH. In the older times builders built from raw materials. EAA was founded on that. Many that attend OSH think that you open a box and it comes out mostly finished. Probably my grumpy old man coming out but I still appreciate all homebuilts and restorations.
    Last edited by Cub junkie; 07-30-2019 at 03:24 PM.
    Likes skipster liked this post