Thread: NX-CUB First Impressions

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up NX-CUB First Impressions

On Tuesday at New Holstein, nearly everyone was away at the Washington Island Flyout. I'm glad I chose to stay behind this year as Brad Damm, Cubcrafters VP of Sales and Marketing stopped by in the new controversial NX-Cub and let me take it around the patch a few times.

First, I should say I have flown the "normal" X-Cub before and was impressed the with fit and feel of that machine even with the rather rough conditions I flew it in Yakima, so I was familiar with how it feels sitting in it, except now, even the most vertically challenged can see over the nose when stopped.

One of the first things you notice is how easy it is to get in and out of. Those of you with floats/amphibs know how much that helps the climb in, this is even better since you start from the ground.

This is a market survey airplane and they are still working on a LOT of tweaks, like this new 393i engine which Brad said was more than 215HP. I followed Brad's instructions about setting the mixture for best power before launching, and I was on my way!

When ever I fly a "new to me" plane, I have a series of things I do. Coordination rolls (often mistakenly called "dutch rolls" even in a recent bush flying book), Steep turns, super slow flight, a number of different stalls including accelerated. I don't record a bunch of numbers when I do this, so for you number nerds out there you will be disappointed. You will also notice I don't do a "cruise speed" test, because for me it is not about that.

After all that I can say that this thing flies and responds exactly like you would expect a carbon or xcub to fly, in fact it is one of the smoothest flying machines I have flown to date. It takes off like a rocket for a 1300lb airplane (see video below) and the ability to hold the brakes when you land is a game changer. There was a decent crosswind that day and I chose to try it out on the crosswind runway and as you would expect - although I still did all the standard tailwheel x-wind corrections since you totally forget you are in a nosewheel after take off - it was a breeze to land.

When anyone talks about any new airplane, the cost comes up. This is a market survey plane so I don't even know if they have a price in mind yet. It would be a great primary training airplane in my opinion, as well as a great airplane for folks who just can't seem to get then hang of the tailwheel thing or are not as spry as they used to be to climb in and out of a tailwheel cub.

If you are really concerned, Brad says that it is NOT that big of a deal to convert it back to conventional gear - although the gear legs are different. They are also trying all kinds of different tire options from 31" mains all the way down.

For me, this airplane is the perfect bridge between the nosedragger and the taildragger, but if you happen to get stuck on the bridge, you will not be disappointed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nx5.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	43839
    I am clearly giddy with anticipation!

Name:	nx6.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	43840
    All the experts had to check out the castering nosewheel configurations. Taxing was as easy as you might expect it to be!

Name:	nx7.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	43841
    The big engine makes that CC smile much bigger!

Here is a video of Brad departing. That is just the air clearner that got knocked loose that you see flying off the plane.

I would say to any "naysayer" that they ought to fly this airplane. It may not change your mind, but it will put a smile on your face!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks Chicken Hawk thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    CC puts out excellent products. They will have no trouble selling every milk stool they produce. Its up to the skeptical's to get used to seeing them around. Good report Steve.
    Likes SJ, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I got to fly it at Camp Cubcrafters. Neat little spot, nice flying airplane. They should develop an STC to put those ailerons on regular Supercubs. It's pretty easy to drag the tail on takeoff. That'll get your attention on concrete.

I wonder about handing that much performance and capability to someone who is unable or unwilling to learn how to fly a tailwheel Cub. It is not a superhuman feat. A specialized training program might be necessary. Tailwheel snobbery? Perhaps, but I get that way sometimes. Talk to me about beer.
    Thanks Eddy Lewis thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Must . . . Resist . . . Urge . . . To . . . Post.
    Likes mike mcs repair, SJ, tomv35atc, jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How come I am unable to see the video of Brad taking off in the new CCub I just have a black box. I have looked for a better place to ask this question but couldn't find one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evroosevelt View Post
    How come I am unable to see the video of Brad taking off in the new CCub I just have a black box. I have looked for a better place to ask this question but couldn't find one
    Likely your browser is blocking it, here is the direct youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4zMYzfR5xM

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything that gets more people flying, people flying longer in life, puts smiles on faces and improves performance must be regarded as a win!

Trainer???

I must argue that point.

Training, especially primary training, in high power planes with high lift do not require any understanding of lift or need for planning. Push throttle, pull back and it climbs, no need to think ahead about where updraft or down drafts are, density altitude... power will overcome a myriad of pilot's deficiencies.

Especially with float planes- students are not required to learn to find that sweet spot on the step, and proper technique to make a plane fly.

No comment on the plane itself, it will take some getting used to.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes bob turner, skywagon8a, G44, jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Bob, can't resist. The word puke comes to mind. Hopefully the survey will report it's the answer to an imagined question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Anything that gets more people flying, people flying longer in life, puts smiles on faces and improves performance must be regarded as a win!

Trainer???

I must argue that point.

Training, especially primary training, in high power planes with high lift do not require any understanding of lift or need for planning. Push throttle, pull back and it climbs, no need to think ahead about where updraft or down drafts are, density altitude... power will overcome a myriad of pilot's deficiencies.

Especially with float planes- students are not required to learn to find that sweet spot on the step, and proper technique to make a plane fly.

No comment on the plane itself, it will take some getting used to.
    I think a 172 is probably one of the best floatplane trainers out there. Underpowered just enough so student really has to learn the float aspect yet comfortable enough for 2 average sized adults.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, SJ, jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
    I got to fly it at Camp Cubcrafters. Neat little spot, nice flying airplane. They should develop an STC to put those ailerons on regular Supercubs. It's pretty easy to drag the tail on takeoff. That'll get your attention on concrete.

I wonder about handing that much performance and capability to someone who is unable or unwilling to learn how to fly a tailwheel Cub. It is not a superhuman feat. A specialized training program might be necessary. Tailwheel snobbery? Perhaps, but I get that way sometimes. Talk to me about beer.
    Come on, post your famous quote. Even Jim Richmond laughed.

Cathy and I flew it as well. What a hoot. Lots of power and locking the brakes up for really short landings was un-nerving at first.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Who'll be the first to try water skipping?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Come on, post your famous quote. Even Jim Richmond laughed.
    The high performance Cub for people who don't deserve one.

That's pretty snobby, I know. We all enjoyed the plane because we flew it like a Cub. Drive it on like a Cherokee and see what happens. That's the market this plane is aimed at, rich spam can drivers looking for a shortcut to backcountry adventure flying. I can't fault CC for it, they've just identified a market and are developing a product for it. It'll sell.
    Last edited by txpacer; 07-28-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Likes FdxLou, Steve Pierce, jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
    The high performance Cub for people who don't deserve one.

That's pretty snobby, I know. We all enjoyed the plane because we flew it like a Cub. Drive it on like a Cherokee and see what happens. That's the market this plane is aimed at, rich spam can drivers looking for a shortcut to backcountry adventure flying.

It's is white and the " Milk Stool" nickname hasn't been used in awhile

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes supercrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it’s cool. Needs 2 more seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I walked past the NX at OSH and seeing the cowl and style of nosewheel I did not even consider it to be a factory built plane. Granted it had a crowd around it as most everything at OSH does so I did not get a good look at it nor did I want too.
    Personally I feel a bit more time on the drawings could make a far better nose wheel system both functionally and more important aesthetically.
    Neat Idea though with true value to it's mission. And yes I do not see this as a trainer but a multi use plane for a different customer than found here.
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Seemed to function just fine to me when I slammed it down. Could use a fairing maybe.

Name:	IMG_20190724_160526.jpg 
Views:	1796 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	43907
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes OLDCROWE, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder how long before we see the first one on the Wentworth site? Inevitable somebody will find the limits of that third leg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Seemed to function just fine to me when I slammed it down. Could use a fairing maybe.

Name:	IMG_20190724_160526.jpg 
Views:	1796 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	43907
    Steve, what is that device behind at the top? Some sort of a lock or adjustable friction tension device?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeps the nose wheel from swiveling into the prop. There is a quick release pin and a microswitch that lights up a warning on the panel.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks skywagon8a thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts on this are the biggest problem is that there are few places to get "quality" tailwheel instruction. Most places offer a tailwheel endorsement with minimal or poor instruction and won't rent the airplane solo. Had a guy here buy a Pacer and his instructor had just gotten his tailwheel endorsement and thought he was ready to teach. You know that ended up with a busted up airplane on the first landing. There is a good market out there repairing or rebuilding Carbon Cubs as a lot of buyers don't get quality instruction. I've had three guys call me in the last few months trying to find a shop to rebuild their brand new Carbon Cubs. I've also been involved in the RV world the last 30 years and it's the same thing the tailwheel crowd sneers at the trike crowd but when it comes down to it they fly the same.
    Vans RV7 finished 2008
    Backcountry Super Cub finished 2011
    A&P Aircraft rebuilding, Building assistance
    1956 Supercub complete rebuild

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I think this thing is fantastic and I hope CC sells a ton of em. Not my cup of tea but it will enable a whole lot of people go out and fly and have fun. Its not all about flying off beaches and short rough strips with big tires, that kind of flying is fun but flying off nice grass strips in a 2 seat tandem airplane with a stick in an airplane that is easy to fly could be a very attractive proposition for many. This thing could be bigger than expected or on the other hand it could be a flop.

Kurt
    Likes OLDCROWE, Chicken Hawk, jprax, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    “Flip Flop Flyer” hat futures appear to be trending down after the introduction of the NX.
    Likes SJ, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    “Flip Flop Flyer” hat futures appear to be trending down after the introduction of the NX.
    Don't be too quick to say this. When I was working for a flight school, one of the students managed to ground loop a Cherokee.
    N1PA
    Likes SJ, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Don't be too quick to say this. When I was working for a flight school, one of the students managed to ground loop a Cherokee.
    Darwin rearing his head I guess. Natural selection is strong among pilots
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Darwin rearing his head I guess. Natural selection is strong among pilots
    As I recall his objective in learning to fly was to become an airline pilot. I never learned if he made it.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess if we are gonna resort to nosedraggers, we better figure out how to mount these on top. Then we can have a big flyin. Lets call it "wings at Woodstock".

Name:	Noel_RTT_Love_Hate_GJ_2.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	44303

Just funnin folks.
    (Ps. I want royalties if CC starts puting tents on their cubs)
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Likes justme liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    Inevitable somebody will find the limits of that third leg.
    Must . . . Resist . . . Urge . . . To . . . Post.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Was he solo or with an instructor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Was he solo or with an instructor?
    As I recall it was solo. And there was airplane damage.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like he's qualified

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, we had a kid on a solo flight get a Warrior pure-D sideways off the side of the runway at ~ 40 knots. Grass flying everywhere. I was sure that nose gear was coming off.....nope. He’d have got away with it, but left main gear hit a culvert.....and came off. I could not believe how tough those airplanes are.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a solo student lose a Tomahawk on landing, stood it straight up on its nose when it hit the plowed field next to the runway. It balanced on the spinner for what seemed like an awful long time before it fell back on the mains. New prop and it was flying again in two days.

Post Thanks / Like
    We fixed a Cardinal that had a prop strike once. Have seen several Cessna and a Chorekee go off the side of the runway. I've done some dumb stuff but I always seemed to do it in style.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes OLDCROWE, windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at Carbon Cubs dreaming about what to buy next. I am sorry the nose wheel just looks wrong!