• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin G5

Believe if one has say a turn and bank cub equipped from factory, then one can only replace turn and bank with TSO unit. Cannot use experimental stuff to replace any factory equipped instruments with non TSO ones, per my IA. If you keep all then the experimental is ok, but then why do it?
John

Has nothing to do with factory install or not. 'Required equipment' refers to that which is required by the type certificate.

The FARs and CARs set out what engine and flight instruments meet MINIMUM standards, i.e. piston engines are required to have a tach, oil pressure indicator, and oil temp indicator. All aircraft are required to have an airspeed and altimeter. Some type certificates specifically call this out and some may not. Anything required, above these minimums will be called out in the type certificate for EITHER the engine or airframe. A good example is a Cessna 185. In addition to the minimum instrumentation called out by CAR 3, a vertical speed indicator is required and since it has a constant speed prop, a manifold pressure indicator is required. And if you look at the type certificate for the continental 520, a single point CHT is required.

If you wanted to REPLACE any of these instruments, a 'certified primary' instrument is required. Think of the CGR-30P and the JPI 900 series instruments. All engine instruments in one package and certified primary. Problems arise with some of the older styles like the JPI 700 series as not all of the systems in the unit were certified. I've seen them installed in Cessnas, replacing the CHT gauge, and the manual states that the CHT system is not certified primary in that unit. So that unit is not legal for that aircraft unless a certified primary CHT is also installed.

On the flight instrument side, a good example is a vertical speed indicator in a Cub. It was never required to be installed as it is not listed as required equipment in the type certificate. If the owner wants one installed it does not need to be 'certified primary'.

The rule is, to REPLACE a required instrument, a certified primary instrument is needed. To ADD an instrument, above what's required, does not require a certified primary unit.

Web

And while we’re at it, what really is “certified”? Any of you guys with Cessna (ARC) radios ever look at the data tags on them? No TSO on the great majority of them yet you are legal to fly IFR. I suspect many of the flight instruments in Cessnas and Pipers from the ‘60s and 70s were delivered with non TSO instruments. That’s because much of that stuff was “certified” on at least one TC and that certification carried over to other installations. It all comes down to the certification basis, and the operating rules. If the Cert basis doesn’t specify a TSO item, then all you need to do is show compliance to the Cert basis and you are good to go. It gets back to the Major/Minor question. If it is a minor alteration, you only need acceptable data, and a log book entry. If it is Major, then you need Approved Data, and that can come in many forms. The problem I see is way to many times someone calls a minor alteration a major and gets tied up trying to find approved data when kits not needed. Use the flow chart in AC43-210a, and document the decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Web, excellent explanation that even I can understand! Thanks!

sj

Ugh. The list of non TSOd avionics is miles long. The big manufactures have gone around that by STCing everything now.

Web

Back