• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin G5

Tx
Had someone ask me a question. Can you put the exp version of the g5 in a certified pa-18? It’s not ifr, and didn’t come with one stock and isn’t required equipment. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally I'd be the first to say yes, lol. But since there is a blessed off version, I'm guessing that you might get some pushback from a fed, if the notice. Talk to your IA and see if he's cool with doing your annual if you install the exp version.

Web

Normally I'd be the first to say yes, lol. But since there is a blessed off version, I'm guessing that you might get some pushback from a fed, if the notice. Talk to your IA and see if he's cool with doing your annual if you install the exp version.

Web

Yeah Tom...just look in the mirror and ask your IA....

My dad has an experimental one as backup in his airplane, for reference.

Tim

I would say yes since the PA-18 is not going to be used for planned IFR. The G-5 would only be an extra going along for the ride adding to the empty weight.

I bought one of these, about same $ as a exp g5, but is leaps ahead of it in capability, synthetic vision, can provide an ILS type synthetic approach (flight director or fly through boxes) to any runway in its navigation database, and grass strips are in it, thats another advantage over the g5, this can navigate with and g5 cant. This is approved in your certified plane, GRT Mini GA https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/grandrapidsefis11-14250.php

A GDL50, a Garmin Pilot subscription, and a smart phone you likely already have in your pocket is a better solution for most guys. Or use an iPad mini if you want a bigger screen.IMG_0153.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 689
Last edited:
I think its nice to not have to fiddle with phones or tablets, my grt mini is always in the panal and hardwired to the plane which means no charging. Jump in press direct to and go. Takes about 30 seconds to fire up and ready to fly. And when SHTF I have a solid screwed to the panel stand alone AHRS that doesn't require wifi, just push a couple buttons and I am set up with a gps derived (not faa approved but has always been spot on when I tested it) precision approach type guidance to my home grass strip or any airport in its database.

Last edited:
If I initiate GP on my iPhone, which would already be on, the GP screen takes 3 seconds to open and populate. No fiddling required.

My favorite mount is a Nato Mount and with an iPhone 8 or newer (those with glass backs) Nato makes a magnetic holder with wireless charging. My battery life doesn't warrant the wireless charging but if it did? Easy solution.

Had someone ask me a question. Can you put the exp version of the g5 in a certified pa-18? It’s not ifr, and didn’t come with one stock and isn’t required equipment. What do you guys think?

I installed a pre-STC G5 in my C180 with this FAA policy as the basis of approval:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.seaerospace.com/documents/FAA_vacuum_replacement.pdf
[/FONT]
Two different inspectors at the local FSDO were asked about this, and neither had a problem with it.
One did say that the $150 back-up battery was required. so I included one.

Exactly the point I was trying to make; "I installed a pre-STC G5 in my C180 with this FAA policy as the basis of approval:" Pre STC.

If you get push back it will be because there is an 'approved' version available now. If you're cool with the experimental version, then fly it and let us know what you think of it.

Web

Sipping a Woodford rocks in the back of an airliner with my iPhone. Pretty cool tech to have in my pocket. Or my plane.

IMG_0037.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Exactly the point I was trying to make; "I installed a pre-STC G5 in my C180 with this FAA policy as the basis of approval:" Pre STC. ...

I disagree.
A field approval will often be denied, if an STC is available for the same item or mod.
However, we're not talking about a field approval--
this is an installation in accordance with an official, published FAA policy.
Whether an STC'd version of the G5 is available now or not,
IMHO installing a non-STC'd (ala "experimental") G5 as a minor alteration with just a logbook entry is still 100% legit.

$1500 and it knows heading and wind. I am blown away. It says AHRS, so that must include an inertial platform. This would have been a million bucks a quarter century ago.

The GRT Mini alone will display the aircraft's Track but no heading. It needs a compass input from a remote magnetometer for the mag heading ($260) and then it will display heading and provide current wind information.

GRT talks about a $300 heads up display too that uses an automotive Heads up display called the Hudly to display some really advanced stuff if thats your thing.

So, this (link) implies that the GRT- MINI GA can be used in certified aircraft as a backup. Since there is no primary AI, etc in the normal super cub, could you still do it under the terms they describe?

sj

As long as the instrumentation required by the type certificate is installed, anything else is just fun stuff. Mark it 'for reference only' if you need too. Legal as long as you're not claiming IFR capable or other craziness.

Web

So, the GRT- MINI GA can be used in certified aircraft as a backup. Since there is no primary AI, etc in the normal super cub, could you still do it under the terms they describe?

sj

The GRT mini is approved for install in certified a/c via PS-ACE-23-01-R1

Am I missing something or does the GRT not have a battery backup - nice feature of the G5..

sj

Internal battery backup is listed as an option 'for all MINI models'. On the link that you posted, click on 'Options'

Web

I would say yes since the PA-18 is not going to be used for planned IFR. .

I was not around at the time, but there is an old archived thread here that debated whether a suitably equipped PA-18 can be used for IMC flight. Lots of FARs were quoted. My conclusion after reading that thread is that the PA-18 indeed can be used in IMC if it has the right instruments. Even though it was never specifically certificated for either VMC day/night or IMC day/night in the old days. There have been a plane or two whose owners specifically went after and got IFR certification.

Back