• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking for Opinions Regarding Wing Recovering and Mods

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I am planning recovering of my wings on Santa's Super Cub in January. Roger Meggers has kindly agreed to do the work for me. Here are the mods I am planning for the work he will be doing:

1. Install 24 gallon fuel tanks
2. Install an X-brace in the cockpit
3. Install the 2 ton STC mod

I already have ADS-B in and out, already have VG's, already have Whelen strobes on wingtips.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on any other things that might/should be done during the project. I appreciate any input you might offer.

Thank you!

Randy

I see you're really going for it on the GW, 2 tons!
definitely put lights in both wings. For some dumb reason I didn't.

Add the front spar attach beef-up to go with the gross weight increase mod rear spar attach enhancement (whew, too many adjectives there!)
Oh, and the Attlee bolt-in tail x-brace .....

Yep....and like Tom Ford, put one light fixture in each wing so you get a wide wigwag

I cut the factory landing light box in half and duplicated it on the right wing, aero led with built in pulse, and aero led strobes. With the lower draw on the lights you can put smaller(lighter) wire in. Might be worthwile to ditch the stock butt rib, replace with a univair stamped rib so you can put nut plates for the wing root. And change the other tank bay ribs to dakota, they are beefier than stock. The tie downs mike suggested, and leave the factory ones off when you put the wings back on

The factory ones are critical if you want to use a wing jack. And a secondary tie down point won't hurt if you ever park in seriously high winds. I'd keep 'em.

There's no evidence that flashing lights in both wings are better than a flashing light in one wing. One on the cabane works damn well, too.

Last edited:
The factory ones are critical if you want to use a wing jack. And a secondary tie down point won't hurt if you ever park in seriously high winds. I'd keep 'em.

There's no evidence that flashing lights in both wings are better than a flashing light in one wing. One on the cabane works damn well, too.

Every time I go to a controlled airport the saw how great the landing lights show up. I can see an airplane with a pulse in each wing further away than one wing. If you’re head on that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am with Stewart on all accounts. Most just like the looks of the wig-wag, but if you are serious about using them for collision avoidance, they should be pointed aft! Cirrus drivers are quite busy poking at screens.

The statistics I spout out at every ground school - from memory - 3/4 of all collisions are within 5 miles of an airport, and 82% of them (thank you Rod Machado) are a faster aircraft overtaking a slower one.

Every time I go to a controlled airport the saw how great the landing lights show up. I can see an airplane with a pulse in each wing further away than one wing. If you’re head on that is.

But I'm with you, IMHO wigwag on both wings shows up best.
Kenmore has these on their Beavers,
which is what led me to
install a single flashing LED landing light in the wing of my C180.
I'm told it shows up pretty well from a distance,
but not as well as Kenmore's.

Stamped ribs inboard and outboard of the fuel tanks

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Back