• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drag Wires

Sarpy

Hysham, Mt
Guys: I’m starting to order some stuff for the Cub project. I’m a bit confused about drag wire size. I was thinking 1/8” as a 6-40 nipple is supposed to thread on the ends yet the holes in the strut are drilled for 3/16” where the #4 compression strut is located. Plans say to place drag wire inside the compression tube. Now I’m confused.....are we talking 1/8” or 3/16” or are we saying 1/8” goes in the four bays and 3/16” goes inside the compression tube?

Thanks for any guidance,
Sarpy Sam

I have 2+2 plans and Wagabond plans. No sport trainer plans. But the Wagabond plans have something like what you are talking about:

wag wing cropped.jpg

I added the red arrow to what looks like a drag wire going through a compression strut. I have no idea about that arrangement. The 2+2 I'm building has an "N" strut there instead.

The drawing doesn't seem to specify the size wire. I do note that the sport trainer wing kit has drag wires of different lengths. Probably a good idea to call Wag to find out the size.

Vic

Attachments

• wag wing cropped.jpg
    wag wing cropped.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 467
Here is the full drawing of the Wagabond wing, if that helps.

wagabond wing.jpg

Attachments

• wagabond wing.jpg
    wagabond wing.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 452
I have 2+2 plans and Wagabond plans. No sport trainer plans. But the Wagabond plans have something like what you are talking about:

View attachment 43805

I added the red arrow to what looks like a drag wire going through a compression strut. I have no idea about that arrangement. The 2+2 I'm building has an "N" strut there instead.

The drawing doesn't seem to specify the size wire. I do note that the sport trainer wing kit has drag wires of different lengths. Probably a good idea to call Wag to find out the size.

Vic

thanks for the interest Vic. The plans don’t seem to specify the size as far as I can tell. The Piper Service manual calls them a 6-40 rod which I think is 1/8” with 40 threads / inch. I can live with that but why call for a 3/16” hole for the drag wire located inside the #4 compression strut at the lift strut fitting? It sure seems to me that that should be a 1/8” hole.

your plans are quite similar to mine except that I’ve got the longer wing with one more set of drag/anti drag wires.

Sarpy Sam

Vic: I had originally looked for 9/64” rod but put the mic on the wings that I’m disassembling and come up with 1/8” on the drag wires. Since the wings are supposed to be ‘39 models, I wonder.... They’ve been repaired numerous times and I couldn’t prove that they’re original.

Thanks,
Sam

Back