• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any experience with the Fuel/Cargo pod Airglas has?

scottsville

Hi everyone,

Looking at getting a cargo pod for my super cub. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the airglass cargo/fuel pod? Also how hard it is to install and also uninstall?

Thanks Scott

No idea on how hard to install/uninstall. But I have flown a lot of cubs with this pod at work. It seems like a pretty good compromise pod, if you want options for both stuff and fuel. But the cargo section of the pod is small compared to other, cargo only cub pods I have seen. The advantage of the cargo only pods is the ability to allocate all the space to cargo, or use bags for fuel if need be. But the combo pod is great for refueling convenience, since you pump the fuel up to the wing tank in flight.

Happy shopping.

I put one on when I bought my second cub. Put it on under duress but needed to meet the contract- was glad I had it almost every flight!!!

Other than the fuel tank port, it is simple! I did the install myself, took less than a day.

The fuel port on the tank is the tough part, my plane had previously been plumbed for a fuel pod.

To easily lift and hold it, use a floor or transmission jack with a soft cloth as padding.

Now, some lessons for easier use: DO NOT PUT WEIGHT ON THE FILLER NECK. It will crack the gelcoat when it flexes. That includes fuel cans, fuel noses from pump, feet or anything else! NO WEIGHT.

You can squeeze stuff into the pod that will be tough to get out due to the door, so be careful with anything that might get hard when inside- fish stiffening up, animal, wet gear in the winter freezing.

Bore the drain holes, it will make your life easier.

Keep the crate! You may need it.

If doing lots of float to wheel changes, the cotter keys in the aft fly wires are a real bugger. After the first goat rope I just unscrewed the fly wires from the top fork and left the forks in place all year around, saved me over an hour each way on changes.

Water rudder pull up line will need to go through a pulley attached to the spreader bar to prevent the line from rubbing and scratching the tank. I used a braided nylon so if it did touch some it was less damage.

On first use, add fuel in increments and mark the side so in the future you know how much fuel you have. Burn the fuel out of the pod early on so WHEN your transfer system has issues you are not left trying to move fuel by hand.

On occasion something will get into the check valve and allow fuel to siphon from wings to belly, overflowing the belly. Make sure the check valve is where you can access it without a total tear down.

Buy the fuel pump from NAPA...

Does any of that help?

SummitRacing.com is a good source of high volume fuel pumps, made for race cars with high demands. The one I use cost around $100.00 and it will empty a 5 gallon bushbag in less then 5 minutes. I've never checked the amp draw, but the EarthX battery never seems to notice, even after pumping 20-30 gallons.

yes. Thank you! Would of never thought of the check valve or the filler neck! Awesome advice. Thank you for your time!!

Back