• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New from Cub Crafters

You grumpy old men remind me of the horse and buggy crowd when automobiles took to the road. Enjoy the marketing experiment and embrace something new. Demand will drive supply.

Gary

You grumpy old men remind me of the horse and buggy crowd when automobiles took to the road. Enjoy the marketing experiment and embrace something new. Demand will drive supply.

Gary

Ha! I still think the twin cub is the coolest thing of all.

I also flew it and the FX3 back to back yesterday. The nose dragger is an alcoholics airplane. Drink a box of beer and you can still land it. Point it at the runway and stomp on the brakes. Two notches of flaps, wait a few seconds and pull back. That’s it. No s@&t. Aileron feel is between a cub and an RV. More like an RV. Engine sounds angry as hell and pulls just as well.

The FX3 is more my style. Pretty sweet but you can’t get away with what you can in the NX. Dump the flaps at 3’, stand on the brakes and it acts like a taildragger. Just ask Sasser after he had to pull the back seat sling out of his brown star. Guess I should have given him a little heads up on short final:p

Good conversation and fun. Now I'm seeing a special ski on the nose for winter, 3-blade prop for clearance, and larger tires for cushion. Floats too. Beats my 78 yr old Taylorcraft by a few feet and forget crosswind problems.

Gary

Over the years there have been many very cool experimental Cubs built by members here. Did any of them ever build a nose dragger Cub? Not that I'm aware of. If they had? They'd have been laughed at universally. But Cubcrafters does it and it's the next big thing? People are funny.

I mean it’s kind of unfair having the nose wheel cub with the bigger engine. Of course it will perform
Better. Put the big engine in the tail wheel and have a true back to back comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC is just going with the others when it comes to swapping a tail wheel location. Most all did it eventually and even Boeing saw the need.

If CC put a small wheel on the tail spring so it could be held on the ground the comparison would be interesting at the same horsepower.

Gary

I think there is some interesting gear geometry going on with the new nose-wheel Cub. The nose wheel is out on the front of the engine and the mains stayed in the same position as the tail wheel version. A Cessna for example has the nose gear mounted on the firewall and the mains shifted to the rear.

I'd like to see this Cub with the cowl off and see the structure that supports the nose gear.

I'm not a motorcycle guy but I imagine there were similar negative comments when the trikes started to appear - both two wheels in the front and two in the rear. I like to see innovation in GA and that's what this is. It isn't for me or most of the SC.org members but it is nice to see the research and engineering that went into this.

Did you confirm main gear geometry? My understanding from early on was that the gear was turned around? Maybe just a misunderstanding on my part?

Pb

EDIT - Verified this info - Original idea didn't match the CG, so the result was the NXCub does have it's main gear further aft than the XCub and different gear legs.
They are "convertable". Meaning, owners will be able to purchase a kit to transform either version into a trike, or into a taildragger, should they or a future owner so choose. This kit is only available on the 393i models. (Older carb models would interfere with a nosegear)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
I kind of wonder why the nose gear is not bent forward so the elbow does not eat pavement or rocks, and the tire can absorb some impact.

I understand it can be converted back to conventional gear. One salesman said for 2k a buyer could get the conv. gear.

I understand it can be converted back to conventional gear. One salesman said for 2k a buyer could get the conv. gear.
Not sure of the pricing and that sounds maybe thin given you have to replace the main gear and install a different lower front cowling and install a tail wheel assembly.

Last edited:
I hope cub crafters has the good sense to IFR certify it if they build it. If your going to spend all that money for an airplane might as well be able to file.

I understand the tail wheel and spring comes with the conversion. The lower cowling does not need to be replaced.

I wonder if spring or air pre-load can be added to the nosegear? It appears to compress easily and from an engineering perspective maybe that's to protect the mount. We like to adjust stuff.

Gary

Back