Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Icom A200 Antenna Cable and intercom grounds

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    Bad call with the inductors. It's a band aid over a noise issue. Fix the source of the noise as that is the actual problem.....
    I agree that it's always best to fix the actual problem.
    But if that proves problematic, what's wrong with a band-aid?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Because the problem is still there. Machines don't heal up. In fact they get worse as components wear. Cover up the noise and in time it will come back, usually because it gets worse.

Take this subject (noise on audio) and take it to an extreme. Starts out as noise in the headsets. If you cover it up with filters and inductors, the noise is still there, even if not audible. If the source of the noise puts out a stronger signal (think about alternators or magnetos) as they wear out, eventually the noise will become audible again as it exceeds the capability of the filter. If it gets even stronger, it will manifest itself as scratchy LED displays and flickering digital screens, etc.

'Band aids' get you out of a jamb. They buy you enough time to get the issue fixed correctly.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I'll try to snag a video of the interference - that might help with pinpointing the source.

I'll also run a temp ground from the housing back to the battery ground for a quick check to see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Temporary ground made no difference. I did get some video, but need to trim and upload them. Iíll do that after our bedtime routine with the little guy.

The great news is that I confirmed I have zero EMI with incandescent bulbs. In fact, I pulled the tail LED bulb and put an incandescent bulb back in there as well.

My hangar neighbor was working on installing some G5ís in his Cherokee, so I asked if I could use his plane to isolate the bulbs as the issue. His plane received the same radio interference as mine.

Heís going to take those LED bulbs to work and run them on a scope for curiosityís sake, so Iíll report back with what he says if anyone is curious.

Other than the outcome of the LED bulbs, I think i can close out this project.
    Thanks wireweinie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Brand or model of the noisy lamps?

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    Brand or model of the noisy lamps?

Web
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...kaAp0uEALw_wcB

https://www.pilotlights.net/led-bulb...12v-24v-bay15s

I have both the model with the reflectors and without. They all make noise. The company was responsive and sent me the set without the reflectors to try. All of them made noise. Not sure if I just got two bad sets in a row or what.

Post Thanks / Like
    Videos of LED Nav bulb interference:

https://youtu.be/-PA0bmtP1SI

https://youtu.be/DYNEElzusF8

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Temporary ground made no difference.
    did you DISCONNECT the original airframe ground and replace it with a isolated ground back to battery?? or just add a wire??

Post Thanks / Like

Icom A200 Antenna Cable and intercom grounds

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    did you DISCONNECT the original airframe ground and replace it with a isolated ground back to battery?? or just add a wire??
    The nav light is grounded through the housing, through the wing to the fuselage, so I pulled the housing out of the wing and ran an isolated ground back to the battery from the housing, outside the wing. No change.

Iím back to incandescent position lights and have zero interference.

Looking through the reviews on AC Spruce, it seems like Iím not the first person to experience radio interference with these bulbs. Plus they made identical interference on another airplane. I think the problem is effectively isolated to the bulbs. Iím pretty curious what they end up looking like on the O-scope!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post