Thread: Best Guess Value of a Clean PA-18-95

Post Thanks / Like

Best Guess Value of a Clean PA-18-95

Hello,
    I am new here and am really impressed by the valuable information I have found on this site. Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can send my way.
    I currently own an RV7 and have owned a Citabria 7ECA, but am new to cubs. I am looking at a 1958 PA-18-95 to teach my son to fly. I am seeking information on this airplane and was hoping for a best guess on it's market value.
    Here are the specs:
    - 1958 PA-18-95
    - Excellent condition overall.
    - Less than 300 hours on the C-90 engine and < 3750 total hours. It is flown regularly.
    - Full electrical system with light weight starter and alternator.
    - Garmin SL40 and a Status ADS-B out transponder.
    - 2 x 18 gal fuel tanks.
    - Metal prop.
    - Empty GW is about 950 lbs.

I appreciate any thoughts on the value and any advice on what to look for or things to be cautious about.
    Thank you,
    Chuck

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the max GW is 1500 on that cub (I could be wrong). So depending on weight of you and your son you may come up short on fuel. Not a big issue if you are both lighter. Sounds like a nice trainer, BUT, you really need to find a good IA that works on cubs for a good eval. Where are you located?
    DENNY
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    I think the max GW is 1500 on that cub (I could be wrong). So depending on weight of you and your son you may come up short on fuel. Not a big issue if you are both lighter. Sounds like a nice trainer, BUT, you really need to find a good IA that works on cubs for a good eval. Where are you located?
    DENNY
    Two 200 pound guys still leaves room for a little more than 4 hours of fuel. Also ditto on finding a trained pair of eyes to take a look for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Best Guess Value of a Clean PA-18-95

Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    DENNY
    I’ve got an owners manual for the 95 and 135 at home. I’ll look at it tonight. I believe the weight limit is high than that.

Edit: You were right, some reason I was thinking it was more.

Jeremy Lee
    Last edited by JeremyLee89; 07-10-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1500 sounds right

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    1500 gross and likely heavier than 950. The one in question belong to a fedex pilot near Memphis Tennessee?

Post Thanks / Like
    Cubber, that is correct. This is located in Memphis. I am also a FedEx pilot in Memphis, just trying to get smarter on these airplanes. If you have any info on it, I’d love to hear about it. It seems like a great airplane. I just don’t know what I don’t know at this point. I’m also curious about its value. Cubs seem to carry a bit of a premium compared to Champs/Citabria. I’m sure everyone on this forum appreciates that. But how much of a premium.

thanks for the info so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t wait too long. Stock 95s are becoming rare! If you decide you don’t want it, tell me where it is. Is Sheffie still at FedEx?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an article I wrote on pre-purchase of a Super Cub. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

My Dad is in Memphis and is very experienced in tube and fabric Pipers. I would read the article, ask the correct questions and I could help with any questions. I really like the 90 hp Super Cubs. Lots of fun times in them including a trip to Alaska.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! Thank you Steve.
    Thanks STaylor2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got back from looking at Mac's 95 in Memphis. it is still available. I passed on it. Chip D

Post Thanks / Like
    the empty weight was 970. on the last W/B.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also reviewed the one in New Mexico. he was at 58K and now he is at 56K. It is a full yellow 95 versus Mac's which is White and Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    I have been caring that Pre Purchase paper you wrote me with every time I go looking. It is a great check list when your eyes start getting to big looking at the shinny plane. Ha s I known your dad is there I would have looked him up. My miss. Chip