• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CUBCRAFTERS DEBUTS NEW CC393i POWERPLANT FOR XCUB

I heard if one puts the cub type gear and AOSS on the Xcub it slows it down about 15 mph. Not sure how the spring gear works on short field rough stuff. Doubt one can plop it in without AOSS really short? How slow do they fly all flapped up for short field work compared to the CC version?
I know they are fast, but had two friends buy them, groundlooped them quickly, and both previously had Husky's so not new tailwheel guys. they insisted something is different in how they fly when loaded.
Anyone have experience in them for facts on real life speeds and performance? Compared to supercub?
John

Last edited:
I have been flying an FX3 and at full throttle and 2200 rpm I was cruising 130-135 mph. I haven't bar hopped it but landing it at different strips around here and Arkansas I believe I can take it anywhere I take my Super Cub. Those speeds and the G3X and auto pilot were nice on my trip to Arkansas and back. The 30 mph head wind made my groundspeed 90-100 vs the 60 mph my Super Cub would have been making.

Most FX2s and 3s I deal with and work on have 3x3 gear and Acme shock struts. They feel as good as AOSS or better when dropping it in short. The X Cub I have only flown around the patch on 26" Goodyear's. It was fast and comfortable. My favorite thing about the FX and the X Cub is the ailerons. The semetrical air foil ailerons are lighter feeling, faster in in response and more effective. I don't use as much top rudder when yanking and banking through the twists and turns of the river.

I have quite a bit of time in A1, A1B AND A1C Huskys. I see the FX or the X Cub to be just as docile as the Husky or any Cub or Super Cub on the ground. I guess they all have their place

Bottom line for me, great airplanes for those who can afford them. Problem I see is sometimes the people who can afford them don't take the time to learn to fly the airplane. Like my beater 75 Plymouth Duster I had in high school I am pretty proud of my beater Super Cub. It is mine and I know it inside and out. I enjoy flying and working on these new planes but I also like my old Super Cub because I can wear it like an old pair of gloves.

Well said, and the technology trickles down as well.

Trickle down tech is the best. Thank the men that came before us for NASA, the entire space program, and everything in between the ocean floor and the moon. As I recall the computing power of your iPhone exceeds that of of the computer used to put man in space.

The XCUB was a clean sheet airplane it never had a 100hp on it  and balances out nicely, being lucky enough to get to fly it, i didn’t notice the extra weight at all and that new engine pulls like a .

You know Chuck, speaking of tractors, Jim just switched over to green ones if I recall. Maybe they can donate a matching green paint, a couple logos and some free fuel, and he can represent! :)

Back