Thread: How much heavier is an 0360 over an 0320, exactly?

Post Thanks / Like

How much heavier is an 0360 over an 0320, exactly?

If you put an 0360 and an 0320 on a scales, with both fitted the same like basic engine and a carb, how much heavier is the 0360 going to be? Someone said the carb on a 0360 is heavier as is the crank and cylinders too. Anything else that is heavier? Are the pistons the same diameter? I know the stroke in the 0360 is longer. I am considering selling my 160 hp and putting in the 180 hp but I don't want to gain much weight. To me much weight is like 10 lbs. And on the nose is double trouble. Right now I don't have a starter or alternator up front or starter right to save weight. I know the prop is heavier for a 180 but I am not concerned with that right now. I just want to know what the exact weight difference is for the engines and carbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    +engine mount
    +mount bushings?
    +cowling?

+???

Post Thanks / Like
    I just swapped an O320 out for an O360 on a 172. It was +16 pounds difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Decathlon has an O-360. When it dies I hope to go to a 160 HP engine. Lighter, better gas mileage. But so far not on the type cert.
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes brekkeaerial liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, depending on prop/airspeed fuel burn is usually better with a 0360. Same thing with a 150hp vs 160hp I usually get better as mileage than a 150 at the same speed. I can usually get off the ground as fast as a 180 hp cub but once in the air they can just keep climbing, I usually have to use some ground effect and pilot stuff to gain more energy. I really don't think 20 lbs on the nose of a cub matters that much, pretty easy to balance out with gear/tools. But that can be a separate post. It is all about the mission, I think the OP said he wants to fly floats also.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    A prop to really use the O-360's power is usually heavier as well. My Mac 1A200/DFA8243 at 44# was ten more than a 1A175/GM8242. And that's weight as far forward as it gets.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

How much heavier is an 0360 over an 0320, exactly?

I weighed my PA-12 on scales right before removing the O-320 & installing the O-360 & then reweighed. The O-360 setup weighed 35 lbs more. Besides the engine & carb, also changed the cowling, prop, engine mount, baffles, exhaust. Light-weight starter & alternator remained the same.
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also curious of fuel burn. At same RPM the 0360 has gotta burn more per hour than a 160 (same compression ratio) but if a guy flew say 100 RPM less, in the 0360, would it burn about what the 0320 160 hp burned I wonder? Also a big part of the increased weight, as I see it, is the blasted prop(IA200) that you have to run on it. It must be 13 to 15lbs heavier than a Borer on the 160. For 20 horses, is it really worth the money and weight you add to switch out? I don't know at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    They run borers on O 360’s...... sometimes parts of it departs.....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you put a Borer prop on the O360? The bolt holes are too small.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    How do you put a Borer prop on the O360? The bolt holes are too small.
    With a drill bit...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I fly a lot along side of Bill Tracy, whose supercub has a 160 hp O-320. Cruising along at the same speed & making the same fuel stops, our fuel burns in the 160 hp vs 180 hp are pretty much identical. Sometimes I take a half a gallon more fuel, sometimes he does. We are both usually at or near gross weight.
    I can outrun Bill’s 160 hp Cub, since I have more power to spare (and higher fuel burn in the outrun mode).
    windy

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    If you put an 0360 and an 0320 on a scales, with both fitted the same like basic engine and a carb, how much heavier is the 0360 going to be? Someone said the carb on a 0360 is heavier as is the crank and cylinders too. Anything else that is heavier? Are the pistons the same diameter? I know the stroke in the 0360 is longer. I am considering selling my 160 hp and putting in the 180 hp but I don't want to gain much weight. To me much weight is like 10 lbs. And on the nose is double trouble. Right now I don't have a starter or alternator up front or starter right to save weight. I know the prop is heavier for a 180 but I am not concerned with that right now. I just want to know what the exact weight difference is for the engines and carbs.
    Dave, this is the Dave from SE Mt that drilled holes in your airframe and put a digital level on it. I know your skeptical but with the correct AOI you can throw away a lot of the “trick” stol devices that were on your plane, put some actual STOL devices on it like the Thrustline mod stick with your O-320 with 8:5-1 pistons and your going to think it’s a rocket compared to how it flew the day I flew it,,,,, it will be a whole new experience for you. Keep it light and simple.... you will be happy you did.
    Dave
    PS: listen to Chuck,,,we go way back and he know what he is doing. I stopped in there a few months back and picked up a A model hopper frame,,,still need a nice lid for a project I’m doing but you will have a great flying airplane if Chuck gets his way...
    Last edited by ag-pilot; 07-14-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Additional thought
    Likes 5191H liked this post