• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How much heavier is an 0360 over an 0320, exactly?

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
If you put an 0360 and an 0320 on a scales, with both fitted the same like basic engine and a carb, how much heavier is the 0360 going to be? Someone said the carb on a 0360 is heavier as is the crank and cylinders too. Anything else that is heavier? Are the pistons the same diameter? I know the stroke in the 0360 is longer. I am considering selling my 160 hp and putting in the 180 hp but I don't want to gain much weight. To me much weight is like 10 lbs. And on the nose is double trouble. Right now I don't have a starter or alternator up front or starter right to save weight. I know the prop is heavier for a 180 but I am not concerned with that right now. I just want to know what the exact weight difference is for the engines and carbs.

My Decathlon has an O-360. When it dies I hope to go to a 160 HP engine. Lighter, better gas mileage. But so far not on the type cert.

Bob, depending on prop/airspeed fuel burn is usually better with a 0360. Same thing with a 150hp vs 160hp I usually get better as mileage than a 150 at the same speed. I can usually get off the ground as fast as a 180 hp cub but once in the air they can just keep climbing, I usually have to use some ground effect and pilot stuff to gain more energy. I really don't think 20 lbs on the nose of a cub matters that much, pretty easy to balance out with gear/tools. But that can be a separate post. It is all about the mission, I think the OP said he wants to fly floats also.
DENNY

A prop to really use the O-360's power is usually heavier as well. My Mac 1A200/DFA8243 at 44# was ten more than a 1A175/GM8242. And that's weight as far forward as it gets.

Gary

I weighed my PA-12 on scales right before removing the O-320 & installing the O-360 & then reweighed. The O-360 setup weighed 35 lbs more. Besides the engine & carb, also changed the cowling, prop, engine mount, baffles, exhaust. Light-weight starter & alternator remained the same.

I am also curious of fuel burn. At same RPM the 0360 has gotta burn more per hour than a 160 (same compression ratio) but if a guy flew say 100 RPM less, in the 0360, would it burn about what the 0320 160 hp burned I wonder? Also a big part of the increased weight, as I see it, is the blasted prop(IA200) that you have to run on it. It must be 13 to 15lbs heavier than a Borer on the 160. For 20 horses, is it really worth the money and weight you add to switch out? I don't know at this point.

I fly a lot along side of Bill Tracy, whose supercub has a 160 hp O-320. Cruising along at the same speed & making the same fuel stops, our fuel burns in the 160 hp vs 180 hp are pretty much identical. Sometimes I take a half a gallon more fuel, sometimes he does. We are both usually at or near gross weight.
I can outrun Bill’s 160 hp Cub, since I have more power to spare (and higher fuel burn in the outrun mode).
windy

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If you put an 0360 and an 0320 on a scales, with both fitted the same like basic engine and a carb, how much heavier is the 0360 going to be? Someone said the carb on a 0360 is heavier as is the crank and cylinders too. Anything else that is heavier? Are the pistons the same diameter? I know the stroke in the 0360 is longer. I am considering selling my 160 hp and putting in the 180 hp but I don't want to gain much weight. To me much weight is like 10 lbs. And on the nose is double trouble. Right now I don't have a starter or alternator up front or starter right to save weight. I know the prop is heavier for a 180 but I am not concerned with that right now. I just want to know what the exact weight difference is for the engines and carbs.

Dave, this is the Dave from SE Mt that drilled holes in your airframe and put a digital level on it. I know your skeptical but with the correct AOI you can throw away a lot of the “trick” stol devices that were on your plane, put some actual STOL devices on it like the Thrustline mod stick with your O-320 with 8:5-1 pistons and your going to think it’s a rocket compared to how it flew the day I flew it,,,,, it will be a whole new experience for you. Keep it light and simple.... you will be happy you did.
Dave
PS: listen to Chuck,,,we go way back and he know what he is doing. I stopped in there a few months back and picked up a A model hopper frame,,,still need a nice lid for a project I’m doing but you will have a great flying airplane if Chuck gets his way...

Last edited:
Back