Thread: Uprgrading: What's my Cub Worth?

Post Thanks / Like

Uprgrading: What's my Cub Worth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	43591Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1290.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	43592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	43586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	43587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	43589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	43590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1256.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	43588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	43593

SOLD

All,
    I'm considering upgrading to a late-model cub and would appreciate your thoughts on the value of my current cub before I list it for sale. Here's the stats:

1953 PA-18 105 Special
    Upgraded to O-290 125hp with 130 TSMO; new mags, wires, plugs
    4350 hours on the airframe
    New Panel, New EI instruments KY-97A, KT 76A (non-ADSB), Flush mount Guardian Mini-IPAD, new switches and cables
    All New hardware, gear bolts, wing attach bolts, motor-mount bolts, control surface bolts, strut bolts
    It has flaps, Heel brakes, Overhead X brace, new Airframes Struts, new interior (very nice)
    Atlee baggage
    Full Metal Belly
    Full electrical system. It does not have lights, but the panel is wired for them.
    New fabric in late 90's (hangered mostly since then), new paint and windows in 2018
    In-depth Annual three months ago
    Sensenich prop

If it has a weakness, it's the logs. I have them all, but a previous owner wasn't big on keeping up with them. My A&P spent a ton of time cleaning up what we had and building a nice binder with all of the AD's and history

We have spent countless hours cleaning it up and making sure it was in great shape. It starts and runs great and is a joy to fly. I'd call it a solid 7 out 10. I'm curious what everyone believes a fair price for a Super cub of this vintage. It is located in Texas. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hendoii; 07-22-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: SOLD
    Thanks Cattle cub thanked for this post
    Likes alaskadrifter, model70 liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just buy a new fuselage and build your dream cub and when ready swap the stuff over? Well probably a bigger engine too....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, that's what I originally planned on doing, but it's just to nice of an old cub as it is! I've really enjoyed it.
    Thanks giangab, Bassackwards thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When was the motor rebuilt? What kind of cylinders New/overhaul/crome? If the motor is right it would be a great weekend flyer for 55-60 grand. Trying to upgrade this one at this point is a HUGE money pit. Sell it and buy what you want.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your dream Cub? This one seems to have it all, and is probably lighter than most.

I think the best Cub I have flown was one sorta like yours - a PA 18-95 with flaps and 160 hp. Very well balanced; it cruised at 115 mph on 7 1/2 gph, and I would not touch the trim in the pattern. It was stock, except for flaps and Cleveland wheels.

Within the last decade it got two very popular mods, and now it does 110 at just this side of 9 gph. Still a sweet-flying Cub.
    Thanks Hendoii thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Very well balanced; it cruised at 115 mph on 7 1/2 gph,

Within the last decade it got two very popular mods, and now it does 110 at just this side of 9 gph.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    What is your dream Cub? This one seems to have it all, and is probably lighter than most.

I think the best Cub I have flown was one sorta like yours - a PA 18-95 with flaps and 160 hp. Very well balanced; it cruised at 115 mph on 7 1/2 gph, and I would not touch the trim in the pattern. It was stock, except for flaps and Cleveland wheels.

Within the last decade it got two very popular mods, and now it does 110 at just this side of 9 gph. Still a sweet-flying Cub.

That's the operative question? Me, I'd fly what you have until the engine needs something major. Then put a O320 in it since O290 parts are problematic and expensive. Of coarse that depends what can be done since it's certified......

Jack
    Thanks Hendoii, model70 thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman, model70 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    what does it weigh?

I didnt look close at the photos, but I would guess some silly bastard would pay more than Denny offered you. The right silly bastard.

Hi Denny!
    Thanks Bluebear, Hendoii thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave.
    I just noticed it is a paintover so drop it down to 50-55 grand. It is not a working cub and to make it one would cost a bunch of money, even if you could do all the work yourself. As long as the motor is good it would be a great trainer/light duty run around cub. If you look around you can find a decent 160 cub for around 90 grand. The big question is the motor how about some pic's and more info on that.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it’s worth a trade on a straight tail 182. Have I got a deal for you!
    Thanks Bassackwards, Hendoii thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Gents,
    Thanks for the feedback! I concur with all of you comments and agree with your assessment. Although it's not 160hp, it's light, is a solid flyer and has had a ton of love put into it. Somebody will really enjoy it! It looks like my post was moved to the for sale section. I will get some better pics, clean up the listing and likely put it up for sale for around $50k. Thanks!
    Thanks Bassackwards thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So why not install a 160 hp and go with what you already know and have put so much into?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks Bassackwards thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    So why not install a 160 hp and go with what you already know and have put so much into?
    Steve,
    That was the original plan until I flew a late model cub with the ABWs, prop, brakes, motor, and everything else I want already done. Iíve also discovered that I really enjoy cleaning them up, so itís on to the next project! This is a great little gentlemanís cub if you know anybody in our area thatís looking.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    All,
    Sold my Cub quickly. There is an unbelievable market for a cub in this range right now. I wish I would have had a dozen of them so I didn't have to crush so many dreams. Thanks for the thoughts on value.
    It's going to a great home and making room for my new one.