• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Blowout

Flying_Fin

Medway, Maine
Hi gang,
I had a lovely flight today from KMLT to LRG, for a fly in that is happening. I got there early and nobody had arrived yet. I walked over to PK floats, since Pat McGowan had invited me to the fly-in, I wanted him to see the SuperCuby. Turns out his Skywagon on Amphibs was at 2B7 Pittsfield, and he said he needed a ride down there... I was happy to take him.

Enroute, we had the top of the door open, and suddenly the sliding plexiglas on the left side blew in, hit him in the head (fortunately he was wearing David Clark headset and it struck the headset rather than his head, then the plexi blew out the opening. On landing I noticed a definite ding in the left leading edge of horizontal stab.

SO.... here goes... does anybody have a pattern from which I can cut some thicker plastic window material. Thinking Lexan, 3/16"? but I think the one in the plane was too thin, and flexed when a gust of wind struck us. (It was the usual summer puffy cumulus, thermal stuff, no big deal)

Here's a quick video I put on Facebook..

Does it have the alum stiffeners on the edge?

Glenn

I don't think the plexiglas had anything on its edges, and it felt very thin. Never saw it out of the track however. There is a channel steel track, sort of square, but I have not measured it or checked size etc. with a square.

It had two pieces, and they slid by each other, and in fact I think I lost one enroute to Lincoln Maine airport, because my friend asked if there were TWO windows as only one was still there. I hadn't noticed first piece leaving, and in fact it could have happened on a previous flight. I did not preflight the windows. It's been nice flying door closed, and windows open. I said there used to be, and I resigned to making one new one. Now there are none. Isn't that a story line?

Cheers
Bob

Yeah. It is a trapezoid. Make cardboard patterns. We had one blow in on takeoff, channel and all. Held by two PK Screws. Made new windows and reinforcements, and re-installed with six screws per channel. Originally installed by a well known Cub builder.

I made new windows out of one8 inch Lexan. I found an aluminum U shaped track That acts as a stiffener and it all seems good now. I have flown with the door open window open and there is no vibration and the Lexan does not seem to be trying to depart the aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Lost two of the damned things before installing stiffeners at both ends of each window (u channels in the middle, L pieces front & rear, set with 3 screws each). Now the only way they’re coming out is if I take them out...tired of patching punch holes in the underside of my left wing!

Lost two of the damned things before installing stiffeners at both ends of each window (u channels in the middle, L pieces front & rear, set with 3 screws each). Now the only way they’re coming out is if I take them out...tired of patching punch holes in the underside of my left wing!

Could you send me a picture please, I had a problem with it trying to get out the other day again.

Pabobfin@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back