• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Magneto Drive Gear

J4coupe

Hi
I am replacing the Eisemann Magnetos on my A65 with Slick 4333. I cannot find any information on the torque value for the drive gear retaining nut. Also should the gear have a bit of end play. The nut has to be slacked off a bit to align with the pin hole in the shaft. Otherwise the nut has to be tightened hard to match the next hole. Do I have to use shims? Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Roger

which drive gear, it takes a special one, are you using? slick or champion sells that gear for about the same price as the magneto. you can buy a new mag from them with the gear just about as cheap as the gear. maybe you have it figured out, im curious. the gear for that mag has a different offset so it aligns right with the gear in the engine. ive got some after a long search. but like i mentioned before maybe you have this figured out. continentals gear dosent work on that impulse mag. i just want to add this comment to this thread. for part numbers slicks m3998 is different than continentals 36067.

Last edited:
I bought a kit that consists of the 2 slick mags (4333), harness and 2 gears. The 2 gears supplied are different to the original and do away with the need for spacers.

which drive gear, it takes a special one, are you using? slick or champion sells that gear for about the same price as the magneto. you can buy a new mag from them with the gear just about as cheap as the gear. maybe you have it figured out, im curious. the gear for that mag has a different offset so it aligns right with the gear in the engine. ive got some after a long search. but like i mentioned before maybe you have this figured out. continentals gear dosent work on that impulse mag. i just want to add this comment to this thread. for part numbers slicks m3998 is different than continentals 36067.

yep, the 4330 mags used the spacers and continental gears, and when the 4333s came out no need for spacers but they had there own gears. so your on track, thats all i was concerned about. so back to your original question go to the bulletin.

I did the same switch 10 years ago. Took me awhile to remember but I think I lapped the nut till I was happy with the hole alinement.

Glenn

All sorted now. No radio interference and easy starting. Lapping was not an option on the 4334 kit. The pin hole will line up within the torque values. Luckily the 4334 kit comes with its own special gears that does away with the need for spaces otherwise the mags would hit the firewall. I now need to buy another kit for the J4.

The nut that holds the gear on is not flat where it mates with the gear. It has a lip that recesses into the gear.

FWIW there's a lot of info on the small continentals here

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.html#mags

including this

"The only magnetos that bolt up to the A-65 are models 4302, 4230, 4330 and 4333. There are some military surplus magnetos, model 4220, that are sold cheap and claimed to fit the A-65, but they do not. Anything is possible with a machine shop, but once all is said and done, it is most cost effective to just purchase the correct magneto kit and have it over with. As far as gears go, here is the story: The 4230 and 4330 are impulse coupled magnetos and require the Continental p/n 36066 magneto drive gear. Because these mags are impulse coupled, the gears from non-impulse magnetos will not fit. The impulse couplings of these mags also require a spacer to allow the magneto to fit the engine with this impulse coupling and gear arrangement. The price of the gears are a shocker though- nearly $500 each for the gears!! Used gears can be found, but be wary as there were bogus gears floating around for quite some time that became the subject of FAA Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin SAIB ACE 98-21. For reference, the 36066 drive gears are the same ones used for the 4201/4301 magnetos that fit the O-200. The impulse gears attached to the Bendix or Eismann magnetos that fit any Continental with a -8 suffix will not fit any Slick magneto. Details of this installation can be found in Slick Service Letter SL1-93. For the most part, this installation has been superceded by the much easier to install and lesser expensive K4334 ignition upgrade kit. The K4334 kit consists of two impulse coupled 4333 magnetos, Slick manufactured drive gears, shielded ignition harness and spark plugs. The gears provided are unique and only fit Slick mags. The K4334 eliminates the expensive and clumsy spacers so that the installation is more of a bolt on affair. Details of the K4334 kit can be found in Slick Service Letter SL2-94. The 4302 is a non-impulse magneto kit that can use the gears from any non-impulse coupled magneto that fits the four cylinder Continental series. Slick Service Letter SL3-91 covers this installation. "
[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]

Back