• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Tank Installation Question

planenuts

SPONSOR
I am putting in the fuel tanks on my experimental PA18 Clone. They are the 18 gal ones. Question is if any one has a trick to putting the front bolts in the fuel tank cross member? I got the rear ones in and tight, and got the front ones in, washer on, and nut started, can not see a way to tighten it up. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the fuel tank covers, do they lap over the gap seal or the other way. Pictures I look at seem to have them both ways. I looked at plans, and just not clear.
Thanks

Good question. I think our forum members gave me the answer last year. Getting old, but as I recall, you do the front bolt before you slide the tank in, and the rear afterward.

Also, getting those straps bolted together is a two-man job.

you put in front bolt first and snug it...

then you put tank in

then you line up rear bolt with bent punch, vise grip it, remove punch, install bolt & nut and tighten

Thanks guys, was hoping for an easier way, looks like I will be taking the tanks back out and try this. Seems I usually get to do things two or three times on this build

Back