• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Water leak

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
On my 185 I notice after a rain and I fly somewhere when parked on the ramp there is water leaking from the weep hole on the belly near the middle of the back seat. The carpet does not seem to be wet but its leaking. The problem was worse when I first bought it but tried to seal as much as I could on the cabin top with a recommended product, Dow Corning 732. I found it hard to apply cleanly and trying to remove the excess was difficult. I was thinking of going over the top again with plain 100% white exterior silicone in hopes that will work a bit better.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Tom

Radio cooling air scoops?
Baggage compartment door seal?
Tail cone compartment pressurization scoops?

Pete,
Thank you for the reply. The water is draining from ahead of the baggage area and the carpet there is dry. I think it still the top of the cabin. When I first has it the baggage carpet would be wet after a heavy rain. I sealed the top cabin area and that stopped it for a while but now it seems to be leaking again. Today having finally stopped raining I will get out on a step ladder and go over it again with sealant.

Decades back I was chasing water in an early 185 and in that plane it turned out to be the radio cooling ducts. That plane had an upgraded stack but the ducts were still there. It took two of us, me crawling around inside while a hose was sprayed from the outside.

How much water drained?

Is the headliner wet? Probably not since the carpet isn't wet. That means the top cabin probably isn't the source. Wing roots, cabin vents, windscreen lower strip, etc all let a little water in. If just a little water it could be from condensation. Probably not a problem worthy of much effort. A couple of weeks ago after being in the rain for a couple of days and then flying home and parking indoors I had a puddle under the tail. I figure the only thing different from any other rain exposure in the last 20 years is now I park inside and can see it. I guess one solution is to park outdoors after rain exposure so I don't see the puddle. Ignorance is bliss. :)

Fresh water cleans the dust out of the belly.

If your electronics stay dry, and carpet stays dry, it is not a problem if it is coming out. IF it sits in a puddle that could become an issue.

Thank you all again for the suggestions.
I do park outside on a grass strip this time of year so had not noticed it till last week when went to an airport with a paved parking place for breakfast. I noticed a dripping from the weep hole about the middle of the back seat/second row not the jump seat in the baggage area. it wound up being maybe 10"x8" wet by the time it quit after an hour. The weather had been quite damp and rainy for a week or so before the flight so it might have been condensation. I should take off the covers on the pillars to look for any corrosion. The forward ones are for the flap and ailerons and the rear pair are for fuel lines is that correct?

so had not noticed it till last week when went to an airport with a paved parking place for breakfast. I noticed a dripping from the weep hole about the middle of the back seat/second row....I should take off the covers on the pillars to look for any corrosion.
This could have been from further back and ran forward while you were flying? Check to make sure that all of the drain holes are open.
Does it rain salt water on the Cape which might cause corrosion?

That’s plausible. My baggage door collects water in the rain. If I open it it drains in a steady stream. If I don’t open it first and fly it? No water in the door when I land.

No salt water rain at the Mills but have heard not the case at Marshfield.
I have checked the drain holes and all are clear. We did have some heavy rain the other day so will hopefully fly today and check after landing.

Back