• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flip Flop Flyers Club Hats Ten Year Anniversary

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
flip_flop_flyer_2.jpg

It has been ten years since I started the "Flip Flop Flyers" hats based on the old "be careful out there" thread managed by user "FlipFlop". In that time I have sent out close to 250 hats to folks who have dinged up their plane in one way or another.

The purpose? Not to add further embarrassment, but instead to create a catalyst to share what happened to them in order to keep others from doing the same.

The process? Send me an email with the shipping information of a fellow member who needs one of these hats. No note is included, no source disclosed, the hat just shows up in their mailbox.

Attachments

• flip_flop_flyer_2.jpg
    flip_flop_flyer_2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 354
Some of us need the humility. Luckily I have gotten one in a while, knock on wood. ;)
645x344-1552850680611.jpg

Attachments

• 645x344-1552850680611.jpg
    645x344-1552850680611.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,325
I had a version of with a hard hat and a can of 9 lives strapped to the top....

Still wear mine with pride, along with some scars, happy to be alive to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I guess I'm just a half assed flip flopper,..... never have gone all the way. Note the lassoed tail, I was just getting ready to pull it back down when I realized I needed to take a picture.

Attachments

• Ted 006.jpg
    Ted 006.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 249
I guess I'm just a half assed flip flopper,..... never have gone all the way. Note the lassoed tail, I was just getting ready to pull it back down when I realized I needed to take a picture.
What’s the story on this one? I’m guessing you sacrificed a prop or were you able to pull a Chuck Norris and kill it with the prop sideways;-)

IMG_7799.JPG
Received the hat of shame/comfort in the mail today...thanks for the support! And if anyone wants some tips on the finer points of ground looping, enough time has passed that I can now talk about it without getting sick, for the most part. Husky is at the vet getting a new leg and wingtip, hopefully we’ll actually make it all the way to New Holstein next year!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_7799.JPG
    IMG_7799.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 299
Received the hat of shame/comfort in the mail today...thanks for the support! And if anyone wants some tips on the finer points of ground looping, enough time has passed that I can now talk about it without getting sick, for the most part. Husky is at the vet getting a new leg and wingtip, hopefully we’ll actually make it all the way to New Holstein next year!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Missy, I'm just always glad when it is just fabric/metal and pride that gets bent. Good luck with the repairs, and thanks for being willing to post about it - most don't.

sj

I have unfortunately earned 2 flip flops. I do not look at the incidents as OMG KEEP IT QUIET, but as a step back assess evaluate what how when we do things let others learn from my our mistakes and head out and go for it again. If one person learns from my mistakes and keeps from doing what happened to me then it is all worth the unfortunate moments I had.
SJ thanks for the humbly accepted hats to shade our eyes. They help start a conversation with someone interested and willing to listen and may be learn from us.

I just lost 2 very close fantastic friends Pilot and soon to be pilot, who I wish were still with us to receive a hat each. Some of the lessons we learn are very harsh and hard to live with.

Shortwing n spamcan smasher

Back