Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mounting handheld radio in Super Cub - headset, intercom and PTT switch setup

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting handheld radio in Super Cub - headset, intercom and PTT switch setup

I am looking for suggestions for how to set up a handheld radio in a super cub. I have a Yaesu that picks up signals from 30+ miles out, which is great, but i would like to find a good, simple way to place it in the cockpit and to hook it up to an intercom and PTT switch so both pilot and passenger can communicate. Right now pilot and passenger use a "yellercom" to communicate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking to use a portable intercom or panel mount?

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably portable. Whatever is easiest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Portables are easy as there is no install. But messy as the cords are hanging around. Panel mount has no cords hanging out but will require some work for initial install and a removable battery if you don't have a charging system.

Panel mount requires some planning but portables just need velcro. Get the good, industrial strength stuff and stick your intercom out of the way of any controls (including if it should fall down). Make a bracket to hold your handheld and mount that where it's reachable and readable. Most hand helds have a patch cord available as an accessory, that allows you to plug a headset directly to the radio. Use this patch cord to connect the radio to the intercom. Just a note for your hand held; connect it to an external com antenna. The improvement of receive and transmit will be dramatic.
    Portable intercoms usually come with their own push to talk switch or instructions on how to connect one. Velcro it to the stick, throttle, or other good spot.

If you go the portable route, you'll come to the point where you want to 'upgrade'. If you want to go with panel mount units (no exposed cords, better quality, better functions) let us know. It's a very doable project but requires more planning.

Web
    Last edited by wireweinie; 06-19-2019 at 04:17 PM. Reason: I can't spell!!
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks Mander thanked for this post