• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA 18 External Load Canoe

C-FIJK

Lewisporte N.L.
Hi there wondering if anyone here has carried a Square Stern Canoe on a super cub on I am looking at is 15 feet long , I been told anything over 12 is to much for a Super Cub , any advise , pictures if you have done it please let me know Thanks !

my exp pa-12 with an 0360 pushing 195hp would carry really ugly external loads, i would say quit a bit better then the cessna. tie it on stern fwd make sure you have good prop clearance ( that may be the problem with a 15'er) you will feel how it wants fly prior to leaving the water. Fold-a-boats are good for day trip excursions also, we have a 14'er that you can barely notice in the air.

I agree with the above 12-14 would be ok. But the one I just found for sale is aluminum and 15 feet long. I am hoping someone here has done it already!

The one thing I would say, the hull is a displacement hull, it will suck down into water at speed, I would expect that it will have it's fair share of downforce in air as well. I would pay good attention especially up front that it can not work it's self away from the plane, nor slide backwards allowing the front straps to loosen..
I am not sure I would put it on backwards, I would start by slinging it up under the belly to see where it wants to settle.

There are plenty of engineering considerations that some may express, but in reality it is you who will determine the safety of the load as you taxi test it.

My thought to not carry it backwards is the stern being wider may have more affect with airflow out of the cowl and may end up being closer to the exhaust. Maybe backwards is right, you will answer that the best.

The one thing I would say, the hull is a displacement hull, it will suck down into water at speed, I would expect that it will have it's fair share of downforce. I would pay good attention especially up front that it can not work it's self away from the plane, nor slide backwards allowing the front straps to loosen..
I am not sure I would put it on backwards, I would start by slinging it up under the belly to see where it wants to settle.

My thought to not carry it backwards is the stern being wider may have more affect with airflow out of the cowl and may end up being closer to the exhaust. Maybe backwards is right, you will answer that the best.

Hi there I do know that the square end has to be forward at all times and as close to the prop as possible , next it has to be tied to the struts on the out side , never underneath the spreader bars , I am just seeing if anyone has ever hauled a 15 footer on a super cub Thanks !

Do some measuring. Where will the canoe have to be to provide prop clearance? Will that put the bow right up close to the tail feathers?

Ive carries lots of canoes on various airplanes, and for the most part, you don’t even know they’re out there in flight. Take a short test hop, in a place where you can approach to land nearby with no obstacles. See how it flies on that short hop, then go from there.

Longest canoe I’ve carried on a Cub was a 14.5 foot. Didn’t cause any untoward characteristics. Use good strong ratcheting cargo straps to secure.

I have no idea what the rules are in Canada, Eh? So check that out as well.

MTV

Is this a one time thing, ie haul it into your cabin and leave it there or do you plan to fly around with it tied on a few times a year ?

I might bind a load together with ratchet straps, like 2x6's or 2x4's and put on the spread bars but I don't use them to secure the load to the floats. I use good quality cotton rope and cinch it down tight. When it gets wet it really binds and won't bend anything like a heavy duty ratchet can.

The old green coleman scanoes were 15' and hauled those. For the Coleman scanoe I had a couple of pieces of 1/4" plywood cut to shape and I'd screw that down to the aluminum top rail. Then I'd put that covered surface down on the spreader bars and tie it on. That canoe flew quite a bit so I perfected the method to get it around.

Last edited:
Back when the aluminum Gruman Canoes were popular, they had 15' and the 17' ers. The latter was called
the "Princess". All the flying services
around here hauled them everyday. Hauling two 17fters at the same time was no big deal on a Cub; but considered "tricky" bussiness on the
C 180! I tryed hauling a 20' Mirrorcraft
Boat on the Beaver and found it to be
more than just........"tricky". [emoji33]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
all very good advice and myself I have hauled a lot of things with the super cub . I thought best to ask here about the bigger canoe this is a one time flight into our hunting spot as I am tired of hauling a boat back and forth every year , we been using a zodiac but I cant leave that in the bush the bears will get it :)

I've been hauling a 10' PortaBote this season. Boat is great, but folding and loading in a pain in the a$$. And the seats need to go into the airplane.

I'm looking to haul a 10-12 feet square back canoe and small 4 stroke engine for short round trip, from a paved runway to a lake. Radisson / Sportspal canoes are about 50 pounds, 38" width.

Do you guy think a 12' square stern canoe is too much for a small Super Cub to operate on a regular basis ?

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 80
Another alternate is going to a folding canoe. They fold up nicely, and fit on the float lockers of the Baumann floats. We used Pak Boats, they are tough and great canoes when set up. And bear proof when stored in your garage at home.

MTV

We once hauled a 16’ John boat under a PA 12 on wheels. Hauled it from Willow, AK airstrip to our Nunya spot above Talkeetna, AK. It was tight to the landing gear and just shy of the tail wheel. Top speed was 65 mph due to tail buffet after that. I think we would have eliminated that if we had enclosed the top and stopped the burble. It was our version of an “airboat”. Still use it up there.

We use a Canoe cover that covers the opening on the canoe. The covered Canoe is relatively aerodynamic and has no tail buffeting at all.

They fly extremely well that way. We also use 800 pound rated ratchet straps. Used to use ropes -- the ratchet straps are safer and faster.

I use the left over end to tie down the ratchet handle as a fail safe.

The cover has a sock like front to go over the front of the Canoe and the rest covers the opening only. We use para cord to lace it on the Canoe.

If you use it often that is the way to go for a one of move it is overkill.

Back