Thread: "Operation Baby Shower"

Post Thanks / Like

"Operation Baby Shower"

It looks like others have not posted, so let me take a moment and share some fun with you all.

Jim Crane (Scouter) of the Grand Maine Crane Clan, had this wild eye'd idea of putting together a surprise fly in for one of our humble pilots, Glenn Symon (40M) with the arrival of his new Carbon Cub EX-2.

So the process began, with email's going out, gaining some traction and looking at weather and dates that might work. Now if you don't know Glenn, he works 6 days a week, every week, and then drives through 3 states to get home to spend some time with his wonderful wife, and at times, with his airplane. Then the following morning he gets up and drives back through 3 states to spend another 6 days at work.

So as you can imagine, the window of opportunity was quite small, considering weather, and work variables that might even keep him away on the 7th day.

And, the goal was to keep him in the dark. By telling 22 or 24 pilots. Riiiight.

With the New England's mud season seemingly flooded out with constant rain, Jim had to keep a watchful eye on the weather and call the play at the last moment. And yet, in the month or so of email's, it looked as though only one postponement was needed.

This past weekend, with Mother Nature relaxed over the Symon's Peaceable Farm in central Vermont, "Operation Baby Shower" was a definitive go!

Friends and family shared, laughed, ate good cake and flew. And lest he still be playing a trick on us, Glenn was truly surprised. We loved it.

Congrats again on your new babe Blue, as I've started to call him, Glenn. Let me know if you do name him, I'm sure he'll grow up just like his dad.
    Thanks 40m, windy thanked for this post
    Likes cubdriver2, CharlieN, yellowbird69, 39-J3, JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3203.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	43238
    Thanks 40m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	DSC_3189.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	43241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3165.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	43240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3198.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	43242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FVfkNy3ZSDatP6TKehYyPg.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	43243
    Likes cubdriver2, CharlieN, Tim, 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Naturally, there are a few share-worth flying photos as well.

Name:	DSC_3208.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	43244 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3227.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	43245 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3232.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	43246
    Likes cubdriver2, Tim, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	DSC_33021.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	43247

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    It looks like others have not posted, so let me take a moment and share some fun with you all.

Jim Crane (Scouter) of the Grand Maine Crane Clan, had this wild eye'd idea of putting together a surprise fly in for one of our humble pilots, Glenn Symon (40M) with the arrival of his new Carbon Cub EX-2.

So the process began, with email's going out, gaining some traction and looking at weather and dates that might work. Now if you don't know Glenn, he works 6 days a week, every week, and then drives through 3 states to get home to spend some time with his wonderful wife, and at times, with his airplane. Then the following morning he gets up and drives back through 3 states to spend another 6 days at work.

So as you can imagine, the window of opportunity was quite small, considering weather, and work variables that might even keep him away on the 7th day.

And, the goal was to keep him in the dark. By telling 22 or 24 pilots. Riiiight.

With the New England's mud season seemingly flooded out with constant rain, Jim had to keep a watchful eye on the weather and call the play at the last moment. And yet, in the month or so of email's, it looked as though only one postponement was needed.

This past weekend, with Mother Nature relaxed over the Symon's Peaceable Farm in central Vermont, "Operation Baby Shower" was a definitive go!

Friends and family shared, laughed, ate good cake and flew. And lest he still be playing a trick on us, Glenn was truly surprised. We loved it.

Congrats again on your new babe Blue, as I've started to call him, Glenn. Let me know if you do name him, I'm sure he'll grow up just like his dad.
    To say I was surprised is an understatement, I was blown away!!! This was a Classic setup by the Crane's of Maine. An unsuspecting mark, several wonderful woman and a great flying fraternity who for a month kept radio silence. Thank you!!!
    This man is truly blessed having you all as friends!

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Glenn. Hate that we missed it, had a family reunion of sorts yesterday. Jim did pick a perfect day. Some young kid must have flew by here to say hi. Think there was some smoke too. It was his go fast airplane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Farmboy, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Scouter. You pulled it off and at the same time put 3500 acres of corn and potatoes in the ground. Amazing.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes STaylor2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	DSC_3194.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	43249

Tom I think we saw that kid too.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    He texted me an hour ago. He's in the subsonic cub today and already hit Hampton, Richmond Is and Bailys

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes RaisedByWolves, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  DSC_3189.JPG
Views: 614
Size:  102.7 KB
    Just got my head above water this morning. Frito Lay is on the July 4 push in production, and we are the last farm in the northeast with last years crop still shipping. Its been management by chaos trying to cover loads with trucks.
    I need to thank all of you who helped in this plan. Its really hard to keep something like this on the down low, especially from Glenn who is about the most perceptive person I know. I have been involved with Glenn since the inception of his idea to have a EX2 put together. I have learned as much as he has, there isnt an part or an option that he and I havent discussed. Right down to the color. I havent a dime invested, but I sure have gained a great deal of knowledge. Thanks Glenn

I will dare say this was the best weekend flying weather any of us have ever seen in our lives. It was just perfect. Thanks to our pal bob down on the mountain who put on a great breakfast.
    also to Brenda and Judy who cooked and decorated and ran the show, thumbs up to Dan Dufault and his talents, its top shelf
    Most of all thanks to all of you who left your families at home and spent the day celebrating a bona fide dream coming true for our friend Glenn. I know you will enjoy your new bird, and we are so happy for you.

Couple of things of note;

sure was nice to see Glenn G and Tim trading barbs again like old time
    It must be considered a real success since the phone rang a couple times from the irate neighbors , something about noise and smoke and horses
    Carbon Joe better start back with the donuts or he is going to fall away
    Peter Brown is a rock star photographer, I sat up half the night poring over pix of my twins
    Mark Keneston of CubCrafters said it best, we have a great group of folks here in the northeast, true words

thanks everybody

jim

Name:  DSC_3168.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  DSC_3171.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  DSC_3307.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  177.2 KB

Name:  DSC_3407.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  273.6 KB
    Last edited by Scouter; 06-10-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Likes OldCuby, Farmboy, 40m, RaisedByWolves, Chesney and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a great time, couldn't be happier for Glenn, beautiful place and a nice ride