Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Clipped wing cub experts - need advice

Post Thanks / Like

Clipped wing cub experts - need advice

Looking into a clip wing cub project and would like to get more info before i make a trip to see it. Think its supposed to be a reed conversion. Anyone know what mods should have been made to wing strut and landing gear fittings ? I have heard tab for wing struts get bent to match new angle. Anything else ? See photo below. Kinda looks like wing strut tab is below landing gear mounts but Hard to see. Should have a better up close photo in a day or so but was wondering what I should expect to see.
    IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3083.PNG
    Last edited by Another Cubber; 06-07-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice C85 flying one in Maine for sale for 25K

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't exactly pertain to my question, but could be a logical answer. I would like to know more about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your pm

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Better see the paperwork. that's not a Reed attachment
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Likes Southern Aero liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Reed bends the stock fuselage strut attach fittingUp to match the angle. Not completely modified like your picture. The strut attach fitting at the wing adds a vertical brace down out of the wingto the fitting because of the angle change. You can make the wing fittings out in the last few pictures in this web album of one we recovered after a hanger fire. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fMrFkhGAAiwCFM9Q2
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the obvious solution - a flying Cub for $25 grand. Another cost-effective solution is a Decathlon. For me, the ideal steed would be a 160 C/S Dec. - alas mine is 180 hp - no faster, but hungrier! I like it for gentle aero and viable X-C. Cub is more fun in the pattern by a bunch!

Post Thanks / Like
    The crazy fuselage fittings were for modified taylorcraft struts. And were approved along with some other shenanigans on a 50's era version of 337. No joke. Later some other mods were made in attempt for new stc that didn't get approved and the project was abandoned. The asking price is still well worth the sum of the parts so I'm likely to snag it for parts if nothing else. Could be restored to stock, but with extent of rework the fuselage would need, replacing it would probably make the most sense. Anyone know of a deal on j3 fuse ?
    as for a decathlon, this isn't about the cheapest path to a flying plane. Looking for a great project to share with my boys. I'm a fulltime IA in general aviation and hope the boys find themselves in a more lucrative field, but does a body good to learn and sweat while doing it.
    Now back to the decathlon. Just saw a friend get in and out of a 800 foot strip built for rc planes with one. 160hp & fixed pitch prop. So yeah, they'll go most anywhere most anyone will go while doing most anything you would want along the way at a decent speed and fuel burn. Nice planes.
    Likes 46 Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not that good. My take off roll, me and half fuel, sea level, is 600 feet. And that's 180 HP, C/S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn
    Can you send me some information on that clipped wing cub
    Thanks Steve
    Likes bowenjo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Clipped Wing Cub In Maine has been sold.. I will miss her but looking forward to my new ride.

Larry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay thank you. Will keep looking. Good luck with your new plane.
    Steve