• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Clipped wing cub experts - need advice

Another Cubber

short final
Looking into a clip wing cub project and would like to get more info before i make a trip to see it. Think its supposed to be a reed conversion. Anyone know what mods should have been made to wing strut and landing gear fittings ? I have heard tab for wing struts get bent to match new angle. Anything else ? See photo below. Kinda looks like wing strut tab is below landing gear mounts but Hard to see. Should have a better up close photo in a day or so but was wondering what I should expect to see.
IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3083.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3083.PNG
    IMG_3083.PNG
    247.5 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
The Reed bends the stock fuselage strut attach fittingUp to match the angle. Not completely modified like your picture. The strut attach fitting at the wing adds a vertical brace down out of the wingto the fitting because of the angle change. You can make the wing fittings out in the last few pictures in this web album of one we recovered after a hanger fire. https://photos.app.goo.gl/fMrFkhGAAiwCFM9Q2

That is the obvious solution - a flying Cub for $25 grand. Another cost-effective solution is a Decathlon. For me, the ideal steed would be a 160 C/S Dec. - alas mine is 180 hp - no faster, but hungrier! I like it for gentle aero and viable X-C. Cub is more fun in the pattern by a bunch!

The crazy fuselage fittings were for modified taylorcraft struts. And were approved along with some other shenanigans on a 50's era version of 337. No joke. Later some other mods were made in attempt for new stc that didn't get approved and the project was abandoned. The asking price is still well worth the sum of the parts so I'm likely to snag it for parts if nothing else. Could be restored to stock, but with extent of rework the fuselage would need, replacing it would probably make the most sense. Anyone know of a deal on j3 fuse ?
as for a decathlon, this isn't about the cheapest path to a flying plane. Looking for a great project to share with my boys. I'm a fulltime IA in general aviation and hope the boys find themselves in a more lucrative field, but does a body good to learn and sweat while doing it.
Now back to the decathlon. Just saw a friend get in and out of a 800 foot strip built for rc planes with one. 160hp & fixed pitch prop. So yeah, they'll go most anywhere most anyone will go while doing most anything you would want along the way at a decent speed and fuel burn. Nice planes.

The Clipped Wing Cub In Maine has been sold.. I will miss her but looking forward to my new ride. :)

Larry.

Back