• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Suggestions on hangar size

So far I love it....I really enjoy watching the sunsets from there(door faces West). It functions very well...and I think I have about $2,000 invested in it...Roughly I don’t remember for sure...it all blends together. It really makes the space a nice work area...not a cave. The solar return is amazing in the winter and even now...summer will be a different story, but I can just crack the door open when I’m there. I might need to put in pull down shades if it gets too warm🤣

Re hangar size: I recently moved out of my 40' wide standard t-hangar and into a new-to-me 50x50 box hangar.
With shelves, tables, & other stuff arrayed along 3 sides, and my C180 parked inside, plenty of room -- aaah, this is really living!
Then I offered to let my buddy keep his airplane in my hangar for a while.
Even though it's not a large airplane (Luscombe), its amazing how it impacted the available room.
I noticed the same thing this week, when I relocated to another airport while they're rebuilding the runway at mine.
Sharing a pretty good size box hangar with a twin & a lot of stuff,
location of my airplane inside & esp pulling it in is pretty critical.
(the first time, I got a little dent in one nav light cover because a knucklehead that was supposed to be watching that wingtip -- wasn't!)
I guess what I'm saying is that if whatever size you think will be plenty big enough,
if possible go the next size up.

I'm planning on a 40X60 with 2 offset 42" Schweiss doors. Metal frame. It will be in a windy and snowy location in Montana. Having doors on two sides means more concrete slab to be poured outside the doors, true. I will only have one SuperCub in it, but plan on renting one side to help offset the cost of construction. One man door is all I want. I don't see the point in windows. I need a place to park my plane, not a man cave. I have not decided on electricity, insulation and heat. Maybe one good solar panel, a battery bank, some LED lighting and a 400 dollar Chinese generator backup. Maybe roof insulation to prevent condensation dripping. No bathroom needed - if I need to pee, the antelope can watch for all I care. Schweiss bifold doors because of the snow, they have a mature, established product, they seem to be the "brand name" of hangar doors, resale value and they do the installation themselves. I'm 66 years old, so not quite "circling the drain" yet, but resale is a consideration for sure. The very hardest and most infuriating thing about this whole process is getting a realistic answer about how much the whole thing will cost.

Last edited:
A
I'm planning on a 40X60 with 2 offset 42" Schweiss doors. Metal frame. It will be in a windy and snowy location in Montana. Having doors on two sides means more concrete slab to be poured outside the doors, true. I will only have one SuperCub in it, but plan on renting one side to help offset the cost of construction. One man door is all I want. I don't see the point in windows. I need a place to park my plane, not a man cave. I have not decided on electricity, insulation and heat. Maybe one good solar panel, a battery bank, some LED lighting and a 400 dollar Chinese generator backup. Maybe roof insulation to prevent condensation dripping. No bathroom needed - if I need to pee, the antelope can watch for all I care. Schweiss bifold doors because of the snow, they have a mature, established product, they seem to be the "brand name" of hangar doors, resale value and they do the installation themselves. I'm 66 years old, so not quite "circling the drain" yet, but resale is a consideration for sure. The very hardest and most infuriating thing about this whole process is getting a realistic answer about how much the whole thing will cost.

I had the same staggered config. at my last hanger and really liked it for my Cub and 180. I would definitely put in electricity so you can have good lighting and power for safe pre-heat, charging a tug etc. and if you’re thinking about re-sale and Sewer or septic is available on the airport, I would rough-in a small restroom with a shower.

Find a metal building contractor in the area and use a pre-engineered metal building, they are more efficient than conventional Steel. I purchased my current building direct from the manufacturer, saving a bit, and had one of their regular contractors erect it and his favorite concrete guy do the foundation and slab which is critical for a good building.

Lastly 40x60 will require two walk doors for code egress, and standard metal building insulation is pretty cheep.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If the slab extends out each door I would consider a thermal break at each door line.

Back