• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Nice little kitty out back by the Long EZ

CharlieN

Down low in the hills of Vermont USA
Not who were are used to seeing out in the back yard.

IMG_7463.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7463.JPG
    IMG_7463.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 339
Yup, 22 years in this house listening to Bobcats as the season go by this is the first big cat we have seen. Coyotes and Coy dogs a plenty but the cats are not seen.

This shot, she/he is behind a Land Rover 88 chassis, that is out back by the old Long EZ, about 600' from the house. I was upstairs shooting out a window.

IMG_7467.JPG IMG_7470.JPG IMG_7474.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_7470.JPG
    IMG_7470.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 288
This is an interesting afternoon, now the bear is back, out in my front yard tonight. we last saw him/her when the snow was getting this but looks like he will settle in tonight. Hope we don't meet him when we go out early to get over to the airport since I am hosting a Flying Start event.
IMG_7482.JPG IMG_7492.JPG

Scratching an itch,
IMG_7496.JPG IMG_7478.JPG

So what will we see next, maybe a Moose will be back around, Naw, the ticks have taken out the herd.
Beats having kids on ATVs around.

Attachments

• IMG_7482.JPG
    IMG_7482.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_7492.JPG
    IMG_7492.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7478.JPG
    IMG_7478.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 237
I live in the hills south east of Rutland Vermont. Town is East Walliingford.

Our spring has finally sprung here, two weeks ago nothing was blooming yet, we drove down to Conn along Rt 22 and were commenting that everyone had been mowing.

Looks like a cat. Tough looking ol burger.
We had a delightful pet cat decades back that her face looked allot like this one, but I expect trying to pet the top of the head of a cat that stands 30+ inches is well advised.

Steve,
This Long EZ started life down your way better part of 30 odd years ago. Somewhere in TX, I have some documents that could hone in on where.
The build has it's share of problems and was abandoned, came up north here 22ish years back.
New owner never got to it so it sat outdoors all this time. Over time even Vermont sun can do damage to a polyester glass layup. But the snow, rain and leafs ganged up inside with the mice families to make this impractical as any possible project.
As such it got donated to the EAA chapter my wife and I manage.
Most every part to it such as the 5X5 wheels and brakes that were in boxes are all but destroyed while stored inside the cockpit.
Kind of sad because the quality of the layups look good, but things like no fuel fillers got installed during the build. Something that is impractical to try to install since one can not apply glass from within the tanks to bond the neck in place.
at this pint there is no resin in the outer layers of fabric and although that can be repaired, this is not one to do that to.

IMG_0922.JPG IMG_1027.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0922.JPG
    IMG_0922.JPG
    285.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 221
Steve,
This Long EZ started life down your way better part of 30 odd years ago. Somewhere in TX, I have some documents that could hone in on where.
The build has it's share of problems and was abandoned, came up north here 22ish years back.
New owner never got to it so it sat outdoors all this time. Over time even Vermont sun can do damage to a polyester glass layup. But the snow, rain and leafs ganged up inside with the mice families to make this impractical as any possible project.
As such it got donated to the EAA chapter my wife and I manage.
Most every part to it such as the 5X5 wheels and brakes that were in boxes are all but destroyed while stored inside the cockpit.
Kind of sad because the quality of the layups look good, but things like no fuel fillers got installed during the build. Something that is impractical to try to install since one can not apply glass from within the tanks to bond the neck in place.
at this pint there is no resin in the outer layers of fabric and although that can be repaired, this is not one to do that to.

View attachment 43135 View attachment 43136

Ashame, they are nice flying and fast. Miss the days when there were rows and rows of them at Sun & Fun and Oshkosh.

Ashame, they are nice flying and fast. Miss the days when there were rows and rows of them at Sun & Fun and Oshkosh.

If a plane could be built by pressing buttons on a cell phone there would hundreds of thousands of them out there.

We have quite a few Bobcats down here, they won't bother you, very passive to humans. I suprised one by my floatplane a few years back and we stood eye to eye about 12' apart for about 10 minutes till he got bored with me talking to him and turned around and continued flipping over rocks and twigs looking for food?

Glenn

We sure are concerned when our cats are outside though. They are generally only out for short romps during the daytime, but we still loose one at times.
But then my wife has been afraid when the Raccoons and Fox are near the house, yet a few of our cats stalk them, fun to watch.

I think our girl might have gotten hold of one of those tough cats this morning. She doesn't understand that some bunnies are sharp.20190604_070032.jpg

Attachments

• 20190604_070032.jpg
    20190604_070032.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 182
Ohh is it good that was next to the eye instead of in it. Sad to see, good it was not real nasty.

Had over a dozen Elk sit about 15 feet from side of house here in Evergreen CO, and bunch of deer walk up the driveway. See fox too. Haven’t seen any mountain lions yet.

For sure we have no Elk here, Only one I have seen up close was the one tearing the back of our rental car apart 30 some years back when the car with no snow tires could not get us away from that big angry boy. That was northern Colorado.

We used to have Moose here in the yard, Unfortunately Moose are like horses and humans and can be taken down by the tic born diseases we have here.
Last one I have seen in the yard back in '06,
P7120064.JPG

Attachments

• P7120064.JPG
    P7120064.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 179
Ohh I happened on a pic I have always liked, One of our cats trying to get a flying squirrel up in my canoe that is stored in the living room.
P1071371.JPG

Attachments

• P1071371.JPG
    P1071371.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 173
But then my wife has been afraid when the Raccoons and Fox are near the house, yet a few of our cats stalk them, fun to watch.
We recently witnessed an encounter between our neighbors cat and a Red Fox. The Fox was in the street and the cat was next to a tree. They were staring each other down until suddenly they started chasing each other around in the woods. It was difficult to figure which was doing the chasing. Finally they went off in opposite directions. An amusing and entertaining encounter.

Years back we were fearing having Fox being in close to the house.
P2011403.JPG P2011404.JPG

During a summer when our fields were growing tall we watched a mangy looking fox come out of the tall grass onto the lawn, he kept looking back over his shoulder. Our fear was that one of the best cats we've had was out, but very soon he came out of the grass stalking the fox. Sure wish I had a camera in reach that moment.

I guess it is true domestic cats and fox are quite equal out on the wild.

Attachments

• P2011403.JPG
    P2011403.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 177
  • P2011404.JPG
    P2011404.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 175
Back