• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Interesting extreme power loss with carb heat in Wren Converted C182

Go see what the leaning authority is at cruise. That's the test that matters. It sounds like you should test yours as well.

What power settings are you using to see 13 gph? I'm generally at 24/2400 and leaning to 16 gph makes my engine happy. If I leave it full rich it's just over 19 gph at that power. Like most Pponk owners I know it took work to get more fuel. Pponk's carb specs were way too lean.

What power settings are you using to see 13 gph?

20 inches , 2200 rpm, leaned to temps, at around 8,000 ft. That is my slow over the ice-field setting for flight-seeing folks to take photos.

My 180 hits 22 gph on take-off.
around 17 gph at 25/2500
16 at non-leaned 23/2350
15 gph at a leaned 23/2350

What’s the EGT spread between full rich and peak at cruise power? Your flows sound like mine used to be. No criticism, just interested in the fuel flows of different PPonks. Mine had carb work several times after the basic mod trying to improve fuel flow and engine temps. Fortunately a mechanic friend familiar with Pponk fuel issues sorted it out. Now the temps are so even you’d think it was injected.

Does yours make ice?

Back