Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Covering around the rear windows?

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like

Covering around the rear windows?

Do you typically put re enforcing tape around the exterior of the D (rear) window. If so, any tricks you can share on how you do it? Thanks

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Do you typically put re enforcing tape around the exterior of the D (rear) window. If so, any tricks you can share on how you do it? Thanks

no,

just be very neat about gluing fabric into the window channels... and glue fully to both sides of interior of channel... or fabric may pull out if not locked in by window...

mask off interior edge of window channel, so as to keep it nice looking, and not get glue where it will show

Post Thanks / Like
    I do, but not sure it is necessary. I put pinked tape over everything, including inspection rings and drain grommets. I agree - use care to glue the fabric into the channel. Takes patience, and maybe some wood wedges.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    I do, but not sure it is necessary. I put pinked tape over everything, including inspection rings and drain grommets. I agree - use care to glue the fabric into the channel. Takes patience, and maybe some wood wedges.
    I'm pretty sure I put tape on my super cub several years ago.........but been so long I can't remember exactly how I did it. How did you curve the pinked tape around?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can work the tape around a corner with heat, if you have a little patience. I always put tape around windows or anywhere else that the fabric is touching a solid structure.
    John
    Likes supercrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a curved tape from a scrap piece of fabric. Cut to size.
    Likes ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember the purpose of the tape is to reinforce the fabric where it gets beat against the window frame structure. It was always done when using Grade A cotton. Now with the modern Dacron fabric which we are using, I agree with mike that it is probably not needed. There was a bias cut tape which made it easy to work around tight curved areas. If you wish to use Dacron, Hardtailjohn's method of using heat will work. Tedious, but doable.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    I cut a curved tape from a scrap piece of fabric. Cut to size.
    I just did a Citabria and a PA-11 using Superflite. I cut short sections of paint sticks and wedged the fabric into the window groove and let the glue dry throughly. Then carefully broke the sticks loose from the glue. I didnít use tapes on the Citabria, as the original fabric did not have them, but did on the PA-11. I did like Dave and cut a curved tape and worked it down into the grove just like the fabric. Very tedious, but the glue stick worked well to hold the fabric and tape into place until the glue dried. Some places, the tape or fabric pulled loose with the piece of paint stick, but a putty knife and fresh glue worked it back into place.

Fabricman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes bob turner, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There you go. Cut tapes out of scraps. Always pink the edges. The Cub has no place that requires bias tape, but if you use it for Gods sake cut the splices out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Remember the purpose of the tape is to reinforce the fabric where it gets beat against the window frame structure. It was always done when using Grade A cotton. Now with the modern Dacron fabric which we are using, I agree with mike that it is probably not needed. There was a bias cut tape which made it easy to work around tight curved areas. If you wish to use Dacron, Hardtailjohn's method of using heat will work. Tedious, but doable.
    Just pulled cotton off of a factory cover job on a Ď64 -18, and it didnít have tapes around windows. I put them on though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wax paper around the end of the stick Marv, works great!
    Hope you're good buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricman View Post
    I just did a Citabria and a PA-11 using Superflite. I cut short sections of paint sticks and wedged the fabric into the window groove and let the glue dry throughly. Then carefully broke the sticks loose from the glue. I didn’t use tapes on the Citabria, as the original fabric did not have them, but did on the PA-11. I did like Dave and cut a curved tape and worked it down into the grove just like the fabric. Very tedious, but the glue stick worked well to hold the fabric and tape into place until the glue dried. Some places, the tape or fabric pulled loose with the piece of paint stick, but a putty knife and fresh glue worked it back into place.

Fabricman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Wax paper around the end of the stick Marv, works great!
    Hope you're good buddy.
    Doing pretty well, Dave. Have my Arkansas hangar under contract for sale, and am moving to Homer, AK. Am buying a lot and building a shop with an attached apartment . Am headed back to Arkansas now to load up the tools I am going to keep and sell everything else. Will be calling in a few days for a small favor! Starting a new fabric business up here.

Didnít try the wax paper as I was working in Canada and had none handy!