Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J3 Speed mods ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t think Jerry’s trick works unless you have a movable stab for trim - Cub and C-180 come to mind. I never noticed a speed gain in the 180,but that may be because I am lazy and like to fly hands off.
    Thanks courierguy thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to try the trim trick. Obviously it's making the H-stab into a makeshift airfoil. Curious to see if I can get anything out of it. Of course it's only going to work (if it does) on a trimmable stabilizer. On the other side of that coin, we have a local Cubber who fancies himself a pretty sharp stick, and he and I got into a rather spirited debate regarding trim a while back. With a servo-tab style trim, you can actually get the most elevator effect by counter-trimming, if you can stand the control force. On a trimmable stab, the reverse is true AND the control force is in your favor. Somewhere he had read about getting the max. effect by counter trimming, but had missed the stipulation about it only applying to trim-tab airplanes...or the author didn't know any better. Anyway he started trimming nose down in his Cub, and swore he could drag it in slower by doing so. He was so adamant about it, I just gave up and walked away. I don't know if he ever figured it out. I guess sometimes perception trumps reality.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This might be the most random, diverse and neat thread I’ve read on Supercub.org. The worst part is that there is only two pages of it so far. Who knows what other topics will come up.

As far as Jerry Burrs trick, I’d be screaming Blowing Snow, put down the crack pipe or April Fools if it was anybody else. Obviously, Jerry has forgot more than most of us will ever learn. On that note, I’ll be trying his trick and I will be devastated it he’s pulling our leg
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think he is. You will need smooth air to tell the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    This might be the most random, diverse and neat thread I’ve read on Supercub.org. The worst part is that there is only two pages of it so far.
    I agree, and enjoying it very much so. As it pertains to my original topic, ( is there a way to add a few mph to a j3 without permanently scaring it ? ), i think Jerry Burr is the winner assuming " buy a taylorcraft" wasnt implying it somehow be bolted onto the cub. The other topics that bloom make for some great reading. oh well, guess i had better get at it a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go look at a tripacer. Use the strut and gear fairings from one of those, and a set of early Supercub bungee covers.
    Then a set of wheel pants. (I've got a perfect set off a PA-11)

None of those are permanent and should get you about 10 mph.

Of course you will have to have the right engine/prop combo to make it work.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Cubber View Post
    ….if i use a slight dive to pick up speed in my cherokee, it will maintain an extra 7-8 mph until it's disturbed. …...
    I've heard this referred to as cruising "on the step". Seems to work.
    Another similar, related phenomena:
    sometimes it seems my cruise speed isn't quite what it should be, although I'm in level flight (not climbing or descending)--
    adding a little nose down trim sometimes bumps the airspeed back up to normal.
    Again, sort of getting it on the step.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes cubdriver2, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Going strong with my thumb on the stick !

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Jerry Burr gets two thumbs up for one on the stick ! Anyone else seen a before and after with wheel pants aside from figuring out how to get in with them on ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know how I’d get in a Cub with wheelpants, I’m not sure where I’d put my feet to push off and get in. I have a C85 stroker in my J3 and have to push forward to stay level in cruise. It’s a solid 80 mph like that, real cross country machine.
    Likes courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Um, Isn't going slow why we have these airplanes and not RV's? To each his own but just sayin'.
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTonChamp View Post
    Um, Isn't going slow why we have these airplanes and not RV's? To each his own but just sayin'.
    I think we have them for their abilty to go slow and the utility that going slow provides. getting there quicker or burning less fuel on the way couldnt hurt much

Post Thanks / Like
    i think everyone should at least have a 160-180hp lanceair also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago I knew a guy with a 200 mph tweaked Long Eze. We started talking about all the places we had flown since we last saw each other, and at one point I asked him the TT on the Eze now, with all the flying he'd been doing I was expecting something more then what he said. He laughed and said it was hard to build time at 200 per! If I am flying, short of a long XC or trying to beat weather, I just about always fly at the lower fuel burn speeds, sometimes the very lowest fuel burn speed. That way, besides the fuel savings, I get to log more time! I don't really care if more speed may result in equal or maybe even better MPG, if it means getting there quicker.Obvious, I guess but for us slow fliers a fact that we may take for granted. I'd rather take an hour then make the same flight in 45 minutes, all things considered. Like many I think, as long as I'm going faster then any car traffic below, that's fast enough, so the bumping up of the Idaho speed limit to 80 a few years ago, kinda pissed me off! Now and then, it's fun to bump it up a bit, but the majority of the time I LIKE to go slow.
    Likes super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a Taylorcraft for you...

Experimental with 150 horsepower Lycoming.... cruises around 130...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Southern Aero, Hardtailjohn, CharlieN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard from a guy in Montana who was putting T-cart wings and spring steel gear on Cubs and getting 130 mph.

I am a skeptic - my 180 Decathlon with speed fairings and C/s prop barely does that at cruise power settings. But used Decathlons are plentiful and inexpensive - maybe that is a no hassle answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    I heard from a guy in Montana who was putting T-cart wings and spring steel gear on Cubs and getting 130 mph.
    What power plant? It is only fair to compare when the same power is in both machines.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know. This was around 1988. I bet it was the same guys who ultimately did the leading edge slat project.