Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKS-9S7 Flyin 2019 Edition

Post Thanks / Like

BREAKS-9S7 Flyin 2019 Edition

June 7,8,9

This is long overdue... the Breaks flyin is much like a family reunion with many folks returning, but for those who would like to fly the "last best place" portion of Lewis and Clarks greatest American adventure, here is a little info:

The Breaks centers out of Winifred 9S7 a small town at the end of the road in the Missouri Breaks. It took me a while to understand it, but Winifred itself is a huge draw. It is the way the world used to be. Friendly folks, beautifully tied to the land who depend on each other on a daily basis and welcome visitors like they were born there. Yes, there have been horses in the bars, usually there are cow-dogs there, the food is great provided you bring enough statin with you. Winifred is beautiful in its own way.

The Winifred strip is 4400' long with "officially" 4000' useable. There are fences on most sides of it but it is 150' wide. No lights, but some powerful reflectors. It is turf in good condition.

Most folks camp in and around the hangar. Showers available either in the hotel or swimming pool. The weekend we picked for the flyin is going to be one where Winifred is full of folks celebrating the little town.

The hotel is full....there may be other options if you desperately need them.... we will need to whine long and hard; let me know.

It has been cool and wet in Winifred until recently... it is warming and greening nicely. Lots of wildlife out in spite of the last two tough winters.

Breaks strips mostly run E - W and are from 1200 to 2000' long. Water is the enemy. The strips are bentonite (aka drilling mud). Dry, they are hard and great; wet, they turn into a cross between peanut butter and Elmer's glue. The Weller strip was flooded in the ridiculous run-off and ice jams from the Missouri this spring. It will be landable with cubs and we will let you know in the next few weeks about landing heavier craft. It isn't as pretty as it has been and some cones were moved, but you can still see the strip clearly. That one has ca. 2500-3000' with more if you need it.

Schedule: June: 7th, 8th, 9th This flyin doesn't have drawings or the organization of many. We facilitate your stay in one of the most beautiful places left to fly, help guide you, feed you, and give you a headquarters with a large hangar (1st come-1st served).

These are suggested activities we organize....you are more than welcome to explore on your own.

Friday: Evening: Arrival at 9S7. We will schedule the meal for 6:30 - 7:30 pm (leaves a couple of hours for evening flying if you wish) This is our Breaks participants meal, our treat.... barbecue, salad, bread, and beans. We have served this in the Breaks previously and can consider that if weather and volunteers are adequate.

Saturday: Morning....flight up to the Missouri, then up the Judith, and ultimately to KLWT airport for breakfast (KLWT is an old B-17 training base with loads of history...the movie "The Blob" was filmed there in the barracks.
    Afternoon: Only for those who want to volunteer. We will be working on Bullwacker strip for a few hours. We will mostly be removing sage from one end... This flyin uses the strips more than any other group and it seems like a good way to pay it back for our privilege to use them.
    Evening... Hangar burgers and fixings... ca. $10/plate... there are usually pilots from surrounding area and Winifred joining us. Adult beverages available for those who are through flying.

Sunday: Breakfast on your own at the Cafe... departure, or stick around as long as you want.

Other options include the steak house, the Winifred Cafe.... always colorful. Come join us and relive a world which is largely gone. Call with questions. Ralph Rogers 406 350 5487
    Last edited by centmont; 05-18-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    "Entropy just isn't the same anymore"
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Thanks SD cubman, windy, Eddie Foy, C130jake, sjohnson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Ralph!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Is therea guide to the Breaks strips. Position, etc
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Is therea guide to the Breaks strips. Position, etc
    Yeah, it's called a sectional chart. Can be found on any version of Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.....or paper.

MTV
    Thanks SJ, windy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Yeah, it's called a sectional chart. Can be found on any version of Foreflight or Garmin Pilot.....or paper.

MTV
    In brail?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph
    What a great write up on truly one of my favorite parts of the world to visit.
    Can’t wait to get there!
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't quit your day job!

Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could make it again this year Ralph. But my wife is recovering from a back surgery.

Always a fun time in the Breaks. How many years will this be? I’m guessing 12-13 or so.

Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD2F4CF9-01AD-4D42-BB64-4E73F59EB666.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	309.7 KB 
ID:	42949
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ralph, Patty and I really enjoyed Winifred and your hospitality in 2017. We plan
    on visiting this year. See ya soon. Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Heller Farm (L51) is closed by NOTAM, from 5-17-2019 thru 7-17-2019. No current notams on Breaks strips.

Hopefully will dry out and Notam may change.

Ralph, would the owner be requesting help or a work crew to help get into shape before flyin, if conditions permit? I might be out there early in the week.
    Last edited by charlie husky; 05-20-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Smh

Post Thanks / Like
    Heller was just recently NOTAMed. Since that one is privately owned and fairly long, the rules are a little different. We have had folks try to land full 6 passenger nose-draggers in there after a week of rain. Supercubs aren't the concern. The truth is, we don't really have a handle on what that ice-jam/flood did. All the other strips get wet; then dry out. Heller is right along the Missouri and was clearly flooded this spring. We can reopen at any time, and that is the plan after we get in a do a little work. We will keep everyone posted and if there is work to be done, we let you all know. Ralph
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph I won’t be with you but my heart will! Maybe another day.
    God bless you and your efforts.
    JohnnyJackson
    Likes FdxLou, windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to be there this year, Ralph (me and the dog). Now that I'm retired, I could come up early from our new home in WYO and help with any setup---mowing Heller, whatever. Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190317_113834.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	43008  
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If I showed up with my Skylane. Would I be ran out of town?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll be there Early Friday to help if needed

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete: Congrats on retirement.... looking forward to seeing you. I'll be in and out most of the week previous to the flyin you are welcome here and know your way around. Winifred is beautiful right now.... unlikely to change before you all get here. BTW... I forget just how beautiful that 12 is.... R
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Don: You will be welcome here in anything that flies... or drives for that matter. I'm in a Skywag..... now. Can't even make myself finish that. Spam cans welcome, you will see quite a few here. R
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Some great video shot of harvest. You can see why we like to fly here

Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!
    Likes MT12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

look for the Bighorn sheep and Elk
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=scout88305;748044]Some great video shot of harvest. You can see why we like to fly here

The harvest video tugs at heart strings for me. There is so much more to this story.

The young man who produced it was in his freshman year of an ag college when he put this together. He has every excuse for having difficulty in school. Instead, he ate it alive graduating top of his class. Melissa was his teacher in this small school for several hours each day from Kindergarten through graduation 13 years later. While he had a great deal of support from many directions, he would tell you how special their relationship was and how much she helped him. Along with his talent for filming, he was also an all-state musician under her tutelage. He graduated with honors from college and now owns his own agricultural reporting/ filming company. An amazing story. Thanks for bringing this to me today. R
    Last edited by centmont; 05-24-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Thanks scout88305, FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes Gordon Misch, cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    PIREP: 5/30/19

All the strips are dry... there is water in Llama Lake on Cow Creek...and for that matter most ponds are full.

REPEAT; Heller strip has river silt of unknown depth on the East end.... the 1500 feet on the West end "should be fine". Cubs should be fine landing on the West end.

Several folks have been camping out there.... Dave is here now, Patrick and Lindsey just left Cow Creek. We are ready; see you when you get here. Ralph
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Likes Bender liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Three miles visibility in smoke this morning in Bozeman and Helena. A big Canadian fire up north of Edmonton is producing a lot of smoke, and we are the beneficiaries of same, Eh..... As long as this southerly flow persists, expect smoke throughout western Montana at least. Hopefully, the Breaks will stay clear.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel for you Mike.

Consider getting yourself out of there to clean air before your lungs decide to not work properly. You probably had plenty of smoke in Fairbanks!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any fishing up at Winifred near the airport?
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	932 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	43120

The westward migration has begun! Lou and Kathy RON last night in KC enroute to points West..
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no major Rivers other than the Missouri, which is a warm-water fishery. Catfish, walleye, sauger, ling. There are some small private ponds near here and a beautiful spring creek in Lewistown. Like all spring creeks, it is tough to fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Special Ed View Post
    Is there any fishing up at Winifred near the airport?
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Thanks chuckwagon thanked for this post
    Likes chuckwagon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bring'em on...
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	932 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	43120

The westward migration has begun! Lou and Kathy RON last night in KC enroute to points West..
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centmont View Post
    There are no major Rivers other than the Missouri, which is a warm-water fishery. Catfish, walleye, sauger, ling. There are some small private ponds near here and a beautiful spring creek in Lewistown. Like all spring creeks, it is tough to fish.
    Thanks. Ive messed around up around the country a little but wasnt sure what there was in the immidiate vicinity of the Winifred airport. Thanks again.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    If you show up flying strips before you get the briefing. Don't taxi into the "pond" just south of Cow Creek. It looks dry.... it ISN'T. Two near stuck planes in there this week. Cow Creek runway is in good shape. R
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	AA124557-1F46-43CB-B03C-F5BDC3C9B09B.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	43124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D17899D-9D73-49FB-8EEC-D3E6746F5E33.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	43125You could fly160-180 miles to Meadow Creek and Spotted Bear, premier Cutthroat Trout fishing, South Fork Flathead River, limit 3/day, Bull Trout permit from SB ranger station, catch and release only.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1E41AC35-0828-4CEA-9FF2-9D5CC8C77E85.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	43126water level from runoff only starting to raise levels, 1- 2 weeks from now higher. Call SB ranger station for river conditions, and they may have done some fishing since I last spoke with Sarah.

Name:	1BFC9A37-6A20-4183-97C7-E62E64FDC4EA.png 
Views:	63 
ID:	43121   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	51 
ID:	43122   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	55 
ID:	43123  

Post Thanks / Like
    Spin cast reel,4-6#test, adjustable bubble float, appropriate flies= go fly fishing! Or use a fly rod if you have it.

Name:	1DF3FF7C-EA06-49D4-A89F-BBA3EB25F514.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	274.2 KB 
ID:	43127  

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds fun. I just spent my gas money on an old browning auto-5. Ill have to settle for popping into spearfish and having supper with some of you while im home thursday. If its flooded at ashland or broadus i may have to take the cub home anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Smoke blew out. Clear and vis 100 miles today

Name:	20190603_085117.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	43140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603_085117.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	43141  
    Likes 1934A, CamTom12, cubscout, C130jake, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey folks! We're getting ready for our annual Spearfish Rendezvous for those on their way to Winifred and the Missouri Breaks! Plan on spending Thursday night with us, camping on the field or our local Holiday Inn. We'll have supper ready at 5pm, so roll in when you can! Laura likes a head count for food, so reply if you plan on stopping by!
    "Those that take risks may not live long, but those that take no risks never live at all"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wefly4u View Post
    Hey folks! We're getting ready for our annual Spearfish Rendezvous for those on their way to Winifred and the Missouri Breaks! Plan on spending Thursday night with us, camping on the field or our local Holiday Inn. We'll have supper ready at 5pm, so roll in when you can! Laura likes a head count for food, so reply if you plan on stopping by!
    Ray, Cafi19 just made a Holiday Inn reservation so we will be there (Wx permitting)! Thanks again for putting out the feedbag for us! Looking forward to it!

As you know, I eat like three people so figure that in your dinner plan...

sj
    Likes DUSTERMAN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to it.

Ray
    "Those that take risks may not live long, but those that take no risks never live at all"

Post Thanks / Like
    Weather permitting it will be my first time.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Planning to be in Spearfish. Just myself in the plane.

Looking forward to seeing you, Ray, and everyone else.

Jeff

Fun times in Spearfish from years past.............

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	43146

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Views:	552 
Size:	672.9 KB 
ID:	43147

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	699.0 KB 
ID:	43148

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Size:	780.8 KB 
ID:	43149

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	43150

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	707.1 KB 
ID:	43151

On the way to Spearfish......with my fantastic tour guide Wendy!

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	699.9 KB 
ID:	43152

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	671.0 KB 
ID:	43153

In SE Montana at Bill Stevens' ranch strip...that we actually just happened to fly over....and low and behold, he is a SCub.org memeber

Name:	IMG_1599.jpg 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	43154

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	979.6 KB 
ID:	43155

Name:	IMG_1600.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	43156

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	43161

And on to Winifred and the Breaks strips. What a special place.

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	43157

Captain Lou mudding up his plane.....

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	834.0 KB 
ID:	43158

Morning flight up the Judith River

Name:	G0011870.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	43159

Name:	G0011922.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	892.1 KB 
ID:	43160

Digging up these photos sure brought some great memories of some fantastic places and some great people. 2014 was my first time west with my SuperCub.
    I am forever indebted to Wendy to showing me the ropes. Thanks Wendy!
    Thanks FdxLou, windy thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, windy, BTV liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pictures Jeff. Makes me really miss my Cub! Kathy and I are in Bozeman for the month and will meet up with everyone in Winifred on Friday. Looking fwd to catching up.
    Lou
    Likes jrussl liked this post