Thread: Fluidyne Fli-lite Ski 3000 question

Post Thanks / Like

Fluidyne Fli-lite Ski 3000 question

I just recently bought a cub that came with some fli-lite 3000's. They seem to be in good shape and have all the fittings. They have a standard gear, breaks, hand pump, and wheels. Unfortunately no STC. I was just wondering what they are worth? I have been told straight ski's are the better route and probably the direction that I will go. Thanks for every ones help. I am new to all this and learning fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on who you talk to a STC may not be required (CAR 3). Straight skis do preform better but have limitations. If you have a year like this one still lots of snow above 1800 ft out to play in. You might want to ask around before you sell them.
    DENNY
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You will love the fli-like 3000s.

They are approved on an 18. But you didn’t say what type of “Cub” you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I himmed and hawed for a long time over the straight ski/wheel ski debate. Lots of pros and cons with any ski configuration. I am VERY happy with the Hydraulic wheel skis I settled on. Like a previous poster said they give you lots of versatility when there is no snow at your home airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    And the Fli Lites are arguably some of the best skis out there. I’d keep em, that spring ski flying is the BEST, but the home drome is bare ground.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    The STC was issued in the 1960's, was not issued aircraft specific at that time. I have a copy of the STC and all of the drawings. It was for PA-18, standard gear. It was used for my plane field approval on a PA-12 with extended gear as part of the approved data basis. They are great skis!

Quote Originally Posted by jake.kueber View Post
    I just recently bought a cub that came with some fli-lite 3000's. They seem to be in good shape and have all the fittings. They have a standard gear, breaks, hand pump, and wheels. Unfortunately no STC. I was just wondering what they are worth? I have been told straight ski's are the better route and probably the direction that I will go. Thanks for every ones help. I am new to all this and learning fast.
    =========
    PA-12 fan
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you decide to sell them, I will buy them!!!

My current 12 is nearing completion. I had sold the set I was saving for it when I believed I would never get it finished.
    That was a reasonable decision at the time, but I wish I had more faith that “it will be finished someday” would eventually get here.

Please PM or email me if you have any questions about 3000 flying or if you want to sell them.

Paul Heinrich
    stmawr at me.com
    Last edited by Paul Heinrich; 05-16-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Post Thanks / Like
    Spend a winter or two on Lake Hood and live through the freeze thaw cycles a few times and you'll come to appreciate hydraulic skis a lot. If you travel in winter? Double that.

FliLites are really good on the snow. That's not the case with all wheel skis. Many of the opinions you'll hear from friends and acquaintances won't have real experience with wheel skis. They repeat the same old rhetoric. The only down side to FliLites from straights is weight, and for many of us that's an easy compromise.

I paid $10K for a really good set of FliLites with all the goodies and that was over 10 years ago. Condition matters. Having the attach fittings matters. If your fittings are welded on and the gear goes with? Standard length will lower the price. Guys want 3" extended for skis. Spring isn't the best time to sell skis and get a premium price but if you find a guy who wants FliLites? You never know what a day holds.
    Likes Scooter7779h liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Fli-Lites a lot. Super floatation and maneuverability. The ability to the retract one ski using a brake and the pump to turn in a tight space is invaluable. The only drawback I had was the tailwheel doesn't like gravel.

Beware of the 'standard' gear, you may not have the required prop clearance with the 82" prop

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the comments on the down side of standard gear as I was about to toss my hat into the ring. For reference, a friend paid $9500 two years ago for a really nice set ( that I wish I saw first) and it came with 3" ext gear. Regardless, I have seen them perform in some close quarters next to straights and they are quite capable.

If you do list them feel free to post a link.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If your Cub is a creampuff, be aware the ski tailwheels will throw some gravel types vigorously
    Thanks barrow pilot thanked for this post