• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hooker shoulder harness

I do worry about paperwork. I just got a field approval for a J3 wing tank that was installed 30 years ago in a J4, using the J3 STC. I will be doing another for a Cub that has a double wing tank installation and no header tank using an STC for a standard single tank. It goes on and on - a lot of IAs do not understand how to do major alterations.

This one baffles me - I have never done an STC for seat belts or shoulder harnesses. I think I filed one for an Atlee rear attachment, but not sure. I may be missing something, but the above posters are experts, and have my respect. I agree with them. Making things more difficult than they need to be is not my plan in life.

This is worse than facebook. I have known for many years many of the seat belts and harness' can be installed as a minor alteration with just a log entry. I have read all the references listed in these posts. All of which never answer my question. Yet the majority of the respondents on this thread insist on trying to convince me I only need a log entry when they have NO IDEA WHAT HARNESS ARRANGEMENT I am looking at. All I have asked of this group is: Are there any existing Approvals for the hooker Y shoulder harness in a PA-12. I went on to clarify that by stating I am only looking for STC's PMA's and field approval copies, OLD OR NEW. At this point only two respondents have actually understood my request and actually answered my question. I appreciate the intent of these folks but their opinion of FAA rules and Regs was not part of my question.

.... when they have NO IDEA WHAT HARNESS ARRANGEMENT I am looking at. All I have asked of this group is: Are there any existing Approvals for the hooker Y shoulder harness in a PA-12. I went on to clarify that by stating I am only looking for STC's PMA's and field approval copies, OLD OR NEW.
Then perhaps you should clarify exactly WHAT HARNESS ARRANGEMENT you are looking at. How do you wish to attach it to your airframe? You've only mentioned the make of the harness not your preferred method of installation.There are several methods of approval as have been noted in the various references noted. Once we know this perhaps we can help you with more clarity.

If you wrap a cable around a tubing cluster in the fuselage and swage the ends attaching the shoulder harness to the other end. it is a minor log book entry. If you are welding on a tab to bolt the harness to it will be a major and a field approval.

Last edited:
When the ole boy wads up his -12, runs his head thru the panel and the logs burn up in the wreck, none of this will really matter......I’m not on Facebook but maybe I should be?

I am not looking for more clarity on installation choices and FAA rule interpretations. I am only looking for copies anyone may have of original approvals. The help I am seeking here is not how to my job. It is to see what other folks have used on their STC's and 337's. I am very much aware of how the simple PMA's and non-altered structure shoulder harness is suppose to be entered as a minor alteration and simple log entry. I am not interested in hanging my customer's and the installer's dirty laundry out for the world to review.

Wow. Thickness here is unbelievable. I have had too much joy here. I will now turn off notifications for this useless post. You gentleman have a nice day!

Gosh. I seem to have missed the party. He’s forgetting they change all the major/minor stuff back in 2003? Lot of stuff used to be major and now is only minor or covered by second part of 43.13 as approved data since 1998......... just cause it was the right answer doesn’t mean the FAA won’t update the rules. Life is MUCH simpler now. Choose your mechanics wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

At the risk of being the a%%h0!e, did I miss something?

Someone asked for previous approvals for installing shoulder belts in a PA 12. It was pointed out that installing them is just a minor mod so log only. FAR's, policy statements, and faa orders were cited. And still the request for approval was pushed. In my mind, minor = log entry = no approval paperwork needed.

If I have misread this thread, please let me know how. And please show me the regs that go along with it.

Web

If I knew he was going to get that upset I would have mailed him one of my magic wands and solved his problem.( I get them at Staples)

You need more fiber in your diet. You got alot of good advice free!! Geez!

This is worse than facebook. I have known for many years many of the seat belts and harness' can be installed as a minor alteration with just a log entry. I have read all the references listed in these posts. All of which never answer my question. Yet the majority of the respondents on this thread insist on trying to convince me I only need a log entry when they have NO IDEA WHAT HARNESS ARRANGEMENT I am looking at. All I have asked of this group is: Are there any existing Approvals for the hooker Y shoulder harness in a PA-12. I went on to clarify that by stating I am only looking for STC's PMA's and field approval copies, OLD OR NEW. At this point only two respondents have actually understood my request and actually answered my question. I appreciate the intent of these folks but their opinion of FAA rules and Regs was not part of my question.

Still entertaining. I really like Mike's comment: choose your mechanics wisely.

IAs need to really study the requirements for form 337. It has four functions - major repair, major alteration using previously approved data, major alteration using an STC, and major alteration using the field approval process. It cannot be used for minor repairs and alterations.

It is widely abused, and now nobody checks them. Five times as many feds and half as many of us, and they are too busy chasing taildraggers that get a wheel off the runway. Or abort a takeoff.

I put military style Hookers in my plane. They have TSO tags on them. That was good enough for my IA.

"Choose your mechanics wisely" indeed. I have been thinking that through this entire discussion.:roll:

And by the way, my 12 has Hooker shoulder harnesses up front.....

I have Air Force 3” belts with sewn loops on the shoulder straps in the Cubs. The Decathlon has a sleazeball TSO lap belt, backed up with a gorgeous Silver Parachute Air Force style five point with ratchets. Next time I will have Alan remove the ratchets - my days of outside loops are over! And my passengers can never figure them out.

I am hearing a lot about OCD IAs lately. They don’t understand Cubs. One doesn’t replace the bungees annually, one hopes?

Front seat, back seat, the Cub has Hookers.

IMG_5345.JPG

Front seats left and right, the Cessna has Hookers. Oh, and the rear jump seats do, too. Every lap belt I have in airplanes is Hooker.

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

And for grins, Here's Hooker's STC attach to the spar in the Cessna. A doubler is riveted on and a through bolt goes through. The adjacent doubler is for an Atlee cargo net.

IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_5348.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5345.JPG
    IMG_5345.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_5346.JPG
    IMG_5346.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_5349.JPG
    IMG_5349.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_5347.JPG
    IMG_5347.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_5348.JPG
    IMG_5348.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 277
Wow, all I can say is wow! I got nothing to add, should have strapped myself in

Front seat, back seat, the Cub has Hookers.

View attachment 42938

Front seats left and right, the Cessna has Hookers. Oh, and the rear jump seats do, too. Every lap belt I have in airplanes is Hooker.

View attachment 42939

View attachment 42940

And for grins, Here's Hooker's STC attach to the spar in the Cessna. A doubler is riveted on and a through bolt goes through. The adjacent doubler is for an Atlee cargo net.

View attachment 42941

View attachment 42942

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Those are essentially what BAS designed years ago. Except BAS uses inertial reel harnesses.

MTV

Those are essentially what BAS designed years ago. Except BAS uses inertial reel harnesses.

I have BAS inertia harnesses, and really like them.
But I think you're giving Bud Blancher a little too much credit.
All shoulder harnesses for the 4 place Cessnas are gonna mount in about the same location.
Hooker's method of attachment to the spar carrythrough is quite different than the BAS mounting.
So more difference than just the inertia reels.

"Wow, all I can say is wow! I got nothing to add, should have strapped myself in"

....but with what harness?
:lol:

"Choose your mechanics wisely"

...no kidding.

I have BAS inertia harnesses, and really like them.
But I think you're giving Bud Blancher a little too much credit.
All shoulder harnesses for the 4 place Cessnas are gonna mount in about the same location.
Hooker's method of attachment to the spar carrythrough is quite different than the BAS mounting.
So more difference than just the inertia reels.

Yes, there are differences, but the basic approach of attachment with BAS and what's shown here is much stronger than the stock Cessna attachments. With this style attachment, for the harness to fail, you're going to have to take out the entire center section of the wing carry through. That's what I was referring to.

MTV

Gosh. I seem to have missed the party. He’s forgetting they change all the major/minor stuff back in 2003? Lot of stuff used to be major and now is only minor or covered by second part of 43.13 as approved data since 1998......... just cause it was the right answer doesn’t mean the FAA won’t update the rules. Life is MUCH simpler now. Choose your mechanics wisely.

Thanks Mike! Near as I can tell you’re never too late to the party here. Valuable insight and spot on tongue in cheek when needed most it seems!
Choose your mechanics wisely indeed.
Choose your IA even more wisely perhaps?

Oz

Instead of asking the internet, have you considered calling the Hooker harness folks? Here, let me use the google machine for you so that you can spend more of your time solving the problem instead of using that time criticizing those that were trying to help.
Hooker Custom Harness, Inc.
324 East Stephenson St
Freeport, Illinois 61032
Phone- 815-233-5478
Fax- 815-233-5479

The Atlee Dodge X-brace STC includes welding a 3/4" .049 tube into the X for shoulder harness attachment. No reference as to what shoulder harness needs to be used that I remember.

My first question would be how bad can a shoulder harness instillation be to be worse than no shoulder harness at all? My concern is safety.

Im thankful that Tom (Algonquin) is in my court.

Tom, if you look at AC43.13-2b, there is a diagram on the preferred angles for a shoulder harness. If the harness comes from below shoulder level, you are likely to have spinal compression issues upon impact. If the angle is to high above the shoulder, your torso may not be properly restrained in a crash and slide out of it. If the anchors aren’t sufficiently strong they can pull out. All that said, I think any upper body restraint is better than no upper body restraint. There is always the question of impact loads during an accident. Properly restrained, the human body can withstand deceleration forces in the 30-40G range with minimal damage. Depending on the certification basis of your aircraft, the structure supporting your seat and seat belt is only designed to 6, 9, 12, or 18Gs in the forward direction. If you have an impact that exceeds those, expect your seat, belts, and other stuff to come loose and now you are unrestrained.

Basic rule of thumb, the majority of accidents result in low impact forces, so any restraint system will provide some protection. As the impact forces increase, the design of the restraint system becomes more important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is tough wear a cup! As someone on here is fond of saying. I am an IA and several of the respondents are IA’s. Putting shoulder harnesses of any variety into a PA-12 which I’ve owned 4 of is a minor alteration. End of story.

Back