• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

3” extended gear or stay stock?

KBirss

Hello all,

Thinking ahead to when I’ll be taking the super cub off floats and putting it back on wheels and wanted some opinions on the gear. I’m thinking I’d like to go with 3” extended gear and 26”ABWs and keep my borer prop on with that extra clearance. I’ve looked at the CC3x3 and the Alaska airframe products.. does anyone have any thoughts on which is better or if extending the gear is worth it over the stock gear?
Also, does changing the gear to an extended version put the aircraft into an experimental class in Canada or does the stc take care of that?
Cheers!

(new to the mod world here btw if you can’t tell already8))

Atlee Dodge 3" extended gear is my choice. It has the correct attach and axle alignment. The 3x3 gear puts more weight on the tail, I could see it on a competition airplane but prefer the lighter tail of my 3" extended over the 3X3. All of them are STC'd and should be approved in Canada.

3+3 is good for O-360 installations, but for a 320 Cub I feel the same as Steve, don't move it forward. The tail gets heavy.

Atlee Dodge 3" extended gear is my choice. It has the correct attach and axle alignment. The 3x3 gear puts more weight on the tail, I could see it on a competition airplane but prefer the lighter tail of my 3" extended over the 3X3. All of them are STC'd and should be approved in Canada.

I put my tie down bag tied down in the back of the extended baggage. That helps a lot, and it’s always in the airplane. 3” ext cc gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,

Thinking ahead to when I’ll be taking the super cub off floats and putting it back on wheels and wanted some opinions on the gear. I’m thinking I’d like to go with 3” extended gear and 26”ABWs and keep my borer prop on with that extra clearance. I’ve looked at the CC3x3 and the Alaska airframe products.. does anyone have any thoughts on which is better or if extending the gear is worth it over the stock gear?
Also, does changing the gear to an extended version put the aircraft into an experimental class in Canada or does the stc take care of that?
Cheers!

(new to the mod world here btw if you can’t tell already8))

With 26" tires you'll appreciate any AOA improvement you can get. Don't forget to order new shock struts with the gear, and use the same mfgr for gear and struts.

I bought new gear a couple years ago. I went from standard to Atlee 3” gear. I never heard a down side about the 3” gear and haven’t found one yet. It’s just a touch more clearance for the prop. I would do it again.

Back