• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rigging Wipline 2100S to Patrol

... I do remember that I am nearly out of trim when on floats and in straight and level flight. I would say that number is right at 90% of nose up trim. This may help in some of the diagnosis.
Another thing to consider, and keep in mind my experience is limited to the J3, is the fact that the time to get up on step seems very reasonable to me. The time on plane, between step and airborne, seems excessive to me. Recall, I have to lift a float to get airborne when at GW.

To my way of thinking, the bigger the fish mouth, the more the plane would tend to pitch down once airborne, and therefore the more nose up trim required. Maybe my thinking is backwards here, so let me know.
If my thinking is correct then shifting the CG aft, with ballast at the tail as Pete suggested, is the first change I am planning to start out with. Will keep the saw in storage for now.
Comments in red all indicate that the CG may be too far forward in relation to the step. Indicating that ballast is required.

What are your official empty weight and CG numbers when on floats? I would like to do some math.
As Gary asks, are you flying in the back seat solo?

I haven't ridden in a J-3 since 1948 so don't know much, but can they be flown from the front or rear on floats? Might make a difference for CG and performance. There's one being restored locally and it will have EDO 1320's so we'll find out next year.

Gary

Yes, you can legally fly a J-3 from either seat IF you can get it within CG limits.

And, yes, which seat he’s flying from is an essential data point.

MTV

Brown's Seaplane would have a copy of a basic W&B report for theirs that could be used to explore loading and CG info. With electronic flight bags W&B becomes an easy task. Then compare the results with aircraft performance and adjust.

Gary

Clayton, I know it’s an old thread, but how did you make out with the Patrol on the Whips? I mounted mine on 2100 amphibs last year.
Steve

Nope. No idea. I wasn’t familiar with who Clayton was on the Bearhawk forum. I had asked if anyone had put their Patrol on floats several years ago and never got a reply. Tragic accident. I gather they were building in AK? I’m in Alberta

Nope. No idea. I wasn’t familiar with who Clayton was on the Bearhawk forum. I had asked if anyone had put their Patrol on floats several years ago and never got a reply. Tragic accident. I gather they were building in AK? I’m in Alberta
I was asking Steve Pierce, sorry.

Back