Thread: New Propeller For 1974 Scout?

Post Thanks / Like

New Propeller For 1974 Scout?

Hi Folks,

Looking for new prop for the Scout - 1974...

Requesting suggestions Aluninum or Composite? Fixed pitch, no constant speed drive.

Currently a McCauley aluminum.

MT, Hartzell, McCauley Etc?

Thanks!
    Thanks mikeleary03844@gmail.com thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Explorer, how do you plan to use the Scout? What's your budget? That should help with your decision, and may help direct the free advice on this forum. Fortunate to have some good options on the 8GCBC

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubscout View Post
    Explorer, how do you plan to use the Scout? What's your budget? That should help with your decision, and may help direct the free advice on this forum. Fortunate to have some good options on the 8GCBC

Thanks. cubscout
    Cubscout,

Appreciated.

Intend on upgrading the hubs and brake calipers to ABI. And, start off with 8.50 x 6 tires. With the option down the road to change up to Alaskan Bushwheels if need be.

However my current plan is tarmac most of the time and grass strips occasionally.

So the takeoff performace requirement is average as well cruise requirement.

Appreciate your thought's on options and price points. Two blade fixed.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    After owning 3 scouts of different years, I would tell you to consider adding a governor, and going constant speed. I had MT of 2 and 3 blades. Liked em all, 3 blade faster, 2 blade climbed better. I dont have any expericed with the newish Hartzell trailblazer, but have been around a few on Huskys and FX carbon cubs. Everybody likes them.

I dont think there are many fixed pitch props on the TCDS other than 8040 Mccauley. I havent looked at the Scout STC list for awhile. I would call Backcountry Aircraft in Idaho, those guys know Scouts and how to make them sing. ACA factory should have answers as well. You really need CS to fully take advantage of the 0360. my opinion

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    After owning 3 scouts of different years, I would tell you to consider adding a governor, and going constant speed. I had MT of 2 and 3 blades. Liked em all, 3 blade faster, 2 blade climbed better. I dont have any expericed with the newish Hartzell trailblazer, but have been around a few on Huskys and FX carbon cubs. Everybody likes them.

I dont think there are many fixed pitch props on the TCDS other than 8040 Mccauley. I havent looked at the Scout STC list for awhile. I would call Backcountry Aircraft in Idaho, those guys know Scouts and how to make them sing. ACA factory should have answers as well. You really need CS to fully take advantage of the 0360. my opinion

Jim
    Thx Jim,

The Scout is new to me. I don't disagree about the performance of the CS Prop. I'm trying to make a simple machine to start with and grow from there.

Especially if it really grabs me.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall some props have yellow op arcs that are to be avoided. Like get rough enough to be felt. Transitioning through them used to be annoying especially when slow flying in terrain. Maybe some are smoother.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Explorer, sounds like you've got the right idea: Keep it simple for now. Really learn to fly the plane. Stick with the McCauley 1A-200 fixed pitch (even with the annoying yellow band) and 8.50's for now. As your proficiency and horizons change, THEN consider changing equipment.

To your original question, in addition to the fixed pitch Mac, there are metal Hartzell props on the TCDS which are heavy and less efficient for takeoff and climb, and have a different annoying yellow band. Some of the metal Hartzells have an expen$ive recurring A.D. MT's are good, smooth, and on the TCDS; I believe the composite Hartzell is by STC. Both of the latter have much better airfoils than the earlier props.

Here's a link to the Type Certificate Data Sheet: https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...2?OpenDocument and to the Airworthiness Directives: https://www.univair.com/type-certificate-a21ce/

All the best on your Scout, and please let us know how you're doing. There are actually quite a few Scout operators on this website.

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    Those restricted operating ranges on the O-360 with metal props are not just to avoid felt vibration.....they involve some potentially destructive harmonics.

The composite props eliminate those restricted operating ranges, due to the vibration damping characteristics of the composite blades.

I'd stay with the standard prop, fly the airplane to proficiency, THEN decide if you want or need a different prop. Scout is a great airplane.

MTV
    Likes FdxLou, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    Thx Jim,

The Scout is new to me. I don't disagree about the performance of the CS Prop. I'm trying to make a simple machine to start with and grow from there.

Especially if it really grabs me.

Thank you!
    Explorer, This plane is new to you? Is there something wrong with the existing prop which requires it's replacement? Long ago I installed a set of floats on the first 8GCBC in New England. When I flew it for a rigging check prior to installing the floats, I was disappointed in it's take off performance. It was the fixed pitch prop which would not allow the 180 hp engine to operate to it's best performance. The long landing gear and the weight on the tail held back the initial take off run. When it was on floats with the tail up level it would jump out of the water like a scared cat. This with the very large owner in the front seat and me in the back. The later models with the constant speed props were different machines. The take off performance deficiencies of the fixed pitch were gone.

I suggest you get used to the plane with the 8:50 tires and the existing prop, save your $$ and then convert to a constant speed prop. The Scout does need a constant speed for best overall performance.
    N1PA