• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ipad aux power

If you want cheap & dirty, any automotive charge port for the equipment, hooked to any 12 volt battery will work. I recommend using the high power ones (2.1 or 4.2 amp). If you connect the battery to the aircraft bus, you can recharge it when flying.

Web

Go to a Sharper Image at any airport and there are a crapton of good battery products. They change so fast what was the best last month is yesterday’s news today. I can offer one negative report. As much as I like my EarthX Jump Packs? They absolutely suck as iPhone-iPad backup batteries.

My planes have USB ports so charging in flight is simple. When that isn’t enough, like a multi day outing? This solar light also has a crank charger and it has a USB output. Very, very handy. Goal Zero makes really good gear. https://www.earthtechproducts.com/goal-zero-torch-250-flashlight.html

Most the airlines issue an Anker battery. Anker.com

I have two of them. Work great, very safe.

SrewartB. What happened with the jump packs...? I thought they would have charged devices long time... considering how well they jump start dead batteries..

how did they work? did you try them, noise wise in use.... I'll share a link if they worked well

I use a cheap one that works with 12 or 24 volt systems. Of the three dozen or so I've installed, only one made noise. Just a weird background noise whenever something was plugged into it.

Web

I can offer one negative report. As much as I like my EarthX Jump Packs? They absolutely suck as iPhone-iPad backup batteries.

Seems like I can get maybe 3-4 full ish iPhone X charges out of a 3 yrld EarthX jump pack. The battery indicator on the phone will often turn yellow when plugged into the battery pack however. I still like the battery pack and it seems to keep what few devices I carry going for a couple days when off the grid.

SrewartB. What happened with the jump packs...? I thought they would have charged devices long time... considering how well they jump start dead batteries..

I get <2 charges of an iPhone 7 from my jump pack. The little computer bag backup battery easily beats that by a factor of >2. If I need to jump a boat or wheeler or tractor the Jump Pack is great, just not so much for a phone.

So going a little off topic.
Reference the EarthX Jump Start Pack.

Anyone know about how many starts one can get out of these..?

Looking at using the jump pack verses an Odyssey for a starter equipped C85..

My tractor, 6-wheeler, or riding lawnmower? About 4. Obviously that depends on length of cranking. Truck? Never needed more than one. Airplane? Never needed it.

How many cycles a Jump Pack has would be another good question to ask. They work great but they can't last forever. I have no idea how they perform as they wear out.

Last edited:
The EarthX jump pack manual shows 2000 mAh capacity. That seems like a misprint but if true you will not go far charging an Ipad. I have two Micro-Start jump packs that I'm very happy with. The XP1 (12000 mAh) and the XP-10 (18000 mAh). The XP-1 was a bit challenged keeping an iphone and wifes Ipad alive for 6 days. I never let the Ipad go to full charge so as to leave enough juice for it's mission as a jump pack. I recently added the XP-10 for electronics and even managed to bottom that thing out in a three day stay in the mountains. It will depend on how much you use your Ipad. I would aim high on capacity and understand that manufacturers tend to stretch their products capability.

Those Anker batteries sure look great as do their solar chargers. I wish Anker had 12V out as their price is great for the amount of capacity they offer. I am also looking at the Goal Zero line. Ultimately I 'm going try to incorporate solar into the mix since the sunshine is quite abundant where I'm at this time of year.

Let us know if you find anything good.

Jerry

Trapper Lake? My cabin's been solar powered for 25 years. Love it.

The Goal Zero folding solar panel is great for small
devices when off grid. Wifey's a solar energy nut and bought me one when Costco had them in store. Very impressive little panel.

So going a little off topic.
Reference the EarthX Jump Start Pack.

Anyone know about how many starts one can get out of these..?

Looking at using the jump pack verses an Odyssey for a starter equipped C85..

I don't think I would do that. AFAIK they are for emergency back up in case your primary starting system needs a "jump".

I was able to dissect a jump pack that a friend repurposed into a hand grenade by over use.

Here are some shots of what the inside of it looks like. Think of it as three to four cell phone batteries in series with some big ass wires coming out of each end. Now sure there is more to the picture like the protection circuit (or lack there of) in the leads dongle but look at these pics for a moment before you use it as your primary start battery. On the flip side of things they work just fine for charging and powering small electronics and that's what mine are used for most of the time.

Jerry

email-800-120-4880.jpgemail-800-120-4874.jpgemail-800-120-4881.jpg

Attachments

• email-800-120-4880.jpg
    email-800-120-4880.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 147
  • email-800-120-4874.jpg
    email-800-120-4874.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 139
  • email-800-120-4881.jpg
    email-800-120-4881.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 129
I've used my Jump Packs on totally dead batteries and on vehicles with removed batteries more times than I can count. Never a problem so far. I wouldn't want to leave it connected because it isn't intended to be charged through the starting cables.

I've become a big fan of battery disconnect switches!

I use my Earth X jump pack allot, My 46 Year old Kubota does not even have a battery in it anymore, nether does my lawn tractor. the jump pack starts the Kubota in cold weather when a good Grp 27 battery can't. My jump pack is used many times a day, a few times a week for the past few years and goes weeks without a charge.

But, the jump pack can not run a Stratux, not even bring it to life once. It will charge a phone but not my LG tablet since the tablet has a larger battery than the jump pack. I would say the EarthX is the best I have found for starting an engine, It's flashlight has died and if you chose to charge a phone or two do not expect to start an engine with it.

I now have a 20100 mAh Anker power pack, seems to be the right thing for running small devices but I have not had it long enough to really know it.

Back