• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FluiDyne C2200 Support Leg question

superpa18173

Anchorage
I am setting up a set of Fluidyne C2200 on a PA-18 and the Installation instructions call for an extra support leg from the ski bracket to the forward fuselage gear bolt. It looks like like a lot of guys are running around without this installed. It seems like the angle that the ski bracket is welded to the gear leg dictates the need for the extra support leg. The ski brackets that are welded inline with the flight path have an extra gear leg and the ski brackets that are welded at 45* or so down don't seem to run the extra leg. Anybody know why this is?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Super Cub tech photos 214.jpg
    Super Cub tech photos 214.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Picture 058 copy.jpg
    Picture 058 copy.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 213
When I bought used C2200 from a fellow in Anchorage many years ago the support let was included, and I used it until I installed Atlee's heavy duty gear, at which time my mechanic felt it was not needed. I think this was confirmed when I bought the STC from WipAire (who now owns the STC) and the diagrams had no mention of that support leg.

IMG_8518.JPG
Respectfully taken from Santa's airplane, with his permission...

Randy

Attachments

• Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8518.JPG
    IMG_8518.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 204
In looking at your two pictures, the one without the brace has a beefed up gear leg to axle joint. The one with the brace does not have the beef up. I'll suggest that the reason for the brace is the offset loads on the welded joint between the axle and the V​ gear leg tubes. Without the brace that joint will likely crack with the abuse from the skis.

In looking at your two pictures, the one without the brace has a beefed up gear leg to axle joint. The one with the brace does not have the beef up. I'll suggest that the reason for the brace is the offset loads on the welded joint between the axle and the V​ gear leg tubes. Without the brace that joint will likely crack with the abuse from the skis.

What he ^^^ said. Without reinforced gear, I'd do the extra leg. Maybe even with reinforced gear I'd do it. Lots of nasty forces possible on skis.

MTV

Back