Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Lucas Smoke

Post Thanks / Like

Lucas Smoke

Webb,
    Do you have one of these in your bag of tricks?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B03BDC1-22D6-45A8-A165-F67B6DF816F0.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	42596
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucas brand! Yep, I used several bottles of it for the english cars I have owned over the years. I did a frame off resoration on a Lotus that I ended up building a complete new wiring harness for it. I think someone had used the wrong kind of smoke oil since it burn the original harness up. Why the heck do those darn English car builders make things backwards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of USA vehicles and farm equipment had positive grounds: https://www.restore-an-old-car.com/p...ound-cars.html

My dad's early-'50's Studebaker Starlight coupe with wraparound windows was one. We lived in NE Upper Michigan and cold weather meant he walked to work many days when the 6V wouldn't crank the engine. Even with red Marvel Oil in the crankcase it refused to start.

Gary
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever have a 6volt vehicle a cheap and easy way to get it to start better is put a 8v battery in it. It will still charge with the 6v charging system but crank like a 12v. NAPA has them but you probably have to order it ahead of time

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was in high school I ran two 6 volt batteries in my old jeep. Used a series parallel switch that only put 12 volts to the starter by using a key and a push button and you not only cranked like 12 volt, but had 4 times the amperage of a single 12 volt battery. I bought the switch from an outfit called washawsky or some such ( Like JC whitney). Later I used in in my 36 Ford coupe and it worked very well in both. May still have it lying around some where. They started very well in really cold weather with that set-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I need smoke I light a cigar! lol

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously you don't understand. This is to replace the smoke that I am sure you never accidentally let out!

Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    When I need smoke I light a cigar! lol

Web
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while. But It's been a while since I've worked on an English car, too.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Warshawsky auto parts mentioned in #5. A history>http://100.jcwhitney.com/our-history/

In 1970 a hunting buddy in Delta Jct. AK needed a used short block 6 engine for his Dodge Power Wagon Town Wagon (http://www.pinztrek.com/autos/pastprojects/townwgn) so we could go caribou hunting. They shipped the engine to Alaska in an oil drum with accessories removed. We overhauled it and had good hunts.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    According to my Dad, the British learned to like warm beer shortly after Lucas started making refrigerators.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucas....also known as the king of darkness!!!
    John
    Likes BC12D-4-85, cubdriver2, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard "Prince of Darkness". I rode English bikes in the 60's. Also, what did Mr. Lucas tell his grandson? "Don't ride after dark."

There were 5 of us riding together, two BSA's, two Triumph's and I had a Norton Atlas. We use to say we needed all five to safely ride at night to ensure we had at least one headlight and one tail light. The other three rode between the ones with working lights.

Memories......

Jack
    Likes Hardtailjohn, Ruffair, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My first motorcycle with Lucas electrics was a "Brockhurst" Indian Brave made in England. On the flat roads it would do 42 mph in second gear. Shift to third and it slowed down to 35. I could ride after dark if I kept it wound tight cause every time I backed off on the throttle the battery lost juice. Too many slow downs and I would have to push it home, not enough battery to run the ignition. I rode a lot with no lights on. I loved that bike.
    You can't get there from here. You have to go over yonder and start from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by n40ff View Post
    I heard "Prince of Darkness". I rode English bikes in the 60's. Also, what did Mr. Lucas tell his grandson? "Don't ride after dark."

There were 5 of us riding together, two BSA's, two Triumph's and I had a Norton Atlas. We use to say we needed all five to safely ride at night to ensure we had at least one headlight and one tail light. The other three rode between the ones with working lights.

Memories......

Jack
    Triumph Bonneville here.
    John