Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Buy an Experimental?

Post Thanks / Like

Buy an Experimental?

Just looking for some thoughts here.
    I ran into a "barn find experimental" clipwing cub recently while picking up another project (PA20). This is a amateur built supercub with clipped wings and 180hp O-360. The wings and tail group are complete with flaps & 18 gal tanks. They're ready for cover. The engine is ready for hanging, supposedly was overhauled some years ago. The airframe looks about 80-90% complete, he was putting in the cables when the project stopped. Will need a panel, instruments & wiring, interior, sticks, pedals, brakes, and probably a lot of other stuff. Everything has been well documented, built from scratch, photos etc. he had built other AB experimentals so not his first. The workmanship looked to be excellent.
    I would love an EX Supercub but really have no desire for a clipped wing one. Could one change the plans and just use Javron or DE wings? Why not?
    I have some skills, hold A&P and hopefully some time in the future for projects. I have been really thinking about this one. It's not advertised but can be had for what I feel is a pretty good price, everything for 20K. What would it take? Would the already built wings have any resale value?

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason you can not sell the short wings and build up your choice of long wings with their struts. Just because he desired a Clipped wing on an EX does not mean anyone else must stick to his plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strut fittings on the fuselage are going to be a different angle if the wings and struts have been fitted. If going back to long wings that will need to be changed.
    Likes Chicken Hawk, tcraft128, skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    Strut fittings on the fuselage are going to be a different angle if the wings and struts have been fitted. If going back to long wings that will need to be changed.
    That's a good point, I can't remember if they are one yet, most likely yes. I think I remember reading about the bushmaster mod on the PA20 where they just heat them up and bend'em down some to use PA18 struts on the new lengthened -20 wing.