• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Taxiway Blocked?

Now that is funny Gordon. You apparently know the area! And thanks to Bob for handling the situation in such a responsible manner. I don’t think I have that gene.

This perhaps belongs in the “oops” thread, but it made an impression about looking out your window and using the comm even on the ground.

This was a commercial flight into KSFO last December, at night visual, and it really shows how aircraft blend into the tarmac, and how much taxiways look like runways. It’s not just a Harrison Ford thing.

Don’t be afraid to help someone out on the radio - it might help.

http://m.aviationweek.com/business-...m=email&elq2=a161540076914d6e8a9522f18694df13

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

This perhaps belongs in the “oops” thread, but it made an impression about looking out your window and using the comm even on the ground.

This was a commercial flight into KSFO last December, at night visual, and it really shows how aircraft blend into the tarmac, and how much taxiways look like runways. It’s not just a Harrison Ford thing.

Don’t be afraid to help someone out on the radio - it might help.

http://m.aviationweek.com/business-...m=email&elq2=a161540076914d6e8a9522f18694df13

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Was it the Air Canada flight 759 incident, or was there another? The article is behind a paywall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_759

Headed to Juneau yesterday and heard the call "Cathedral Valley for Haines".

Ok, I have only been around here for about 51 years, and flying here for 34 of them-where is this Cathedral Valley?

So I asked. I forgot it is 'new pilot' season where the one commercial carrier brings in their low time wonders and turns them loose with minimal training by others with no local knowledge so they make up new names for everything and pass it along like gospel.

A quick lesson in geography over 1229, and I hope the lad has an understanding of what to call, because our flight paths cross in the perfect spot for sun in our eyes. Reading the actual USGS maps and Aeronautical charts would be asking too much for these pilots I guess.

Back to the rule in Bethel: Go at ground level below where idiots fly.

True that there was an angry altercation in my scenario, but it was one-sided. Hard to have a serious clash if one side walks away. This one right now is "he said he said". Who knows?

My next gentle battle will be to stop the other local school from blocking the main taxiway while copying an instrument clearance. Right now I just get a clearance and go around them.

Well, I needed Daryl's Klaxon Friday!

Tailwheel went flat at the east end of the airport, so I got it in to the Stearman hangar area - short one-way taxiway. Walked back to my hangar, loaded a tailwheel, jack, and tools in the pickup and drove back. Passed a Comanche blocking the end - just sitting there in the taxiway.

So I unloaded the truck, jacked the tail up, pulled the bad tailwheel, then I had to pee - strolled on foot to the local pee pee place, took care of that, washed my hands (habit; they were just going to get greasy again) strolled back . . .

Put the new tailwheel on, released the jack, piled everything in the pickup, turned around and - Comanche has its engine running. Good. He will move before I have to make a big deal out of it.

Nope. He was running a 20 page after start checklist. It took two attempts to get his attention with blasts of power. So he finally taxied . . . Just far enough to block a main taxiway!

Granted, it doesn't take me long to replace a tailwheel, but strolling and peeing have become time-consuming!

Well, finally doing something about the other main taxiway being blocked. I had to look for this thread for the bits of wisdom about City code and Grant Assurances. I lifted them and forwarded to management.

We have been going around folks who block the outbound lane of the two way taxiway - easy. But now a new flight school - otherwise easy to get along with - is blocking both lanes by using the center island access areas to run checklists and review the lesson plan. Strange - an odd place to do such things.

Super Cub dot Org members have helped immensely on this issue. I will report back this week.

Well, finally doing something about the other main taxiway being blocked. I had to look for this thread for the bits of wisdom about City code and Grant Assurances. I lifted them and forwarded to management.

We have been going around folks who block the outbound lane of the two way taxiway - easy. But now a new flight school - otherwise easy to get along with - is blocking both lanes by using the center island access areas to run checklists and review the lesson plan. Strange - an odd place to do such things.

Super Cub dot Org members have helped immensely on this issue. I will report back this week.
You need a horn, I recommend one from a '73 Buick Rivera...

Back