• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Earth X Certified

I know this is a popular topic, but for a CAR 3 certified airplane, does the TSO suffice to make it legal? CAR-3 reads “Batteries. When an item of electrical equipment which is essential to the safe operation of the airplane is installed, the battery required shall have sufficient capacity to supply the electrical power necessary for dependable operation of the connected electrical equipment.”

The remaining language discusses what to do with battery acid and venting.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I know this is a popular topic, but for a CAR 3 certified airplane, does the TSO suffice to make it legal? CAR-3 reads “Batteries. When an item of electrical equipment which is essential to the safe operation of the airplane is installed, the battery required shall have sufficient capacity to supply the electrical power necessary for dependable operation of the connected electrical equipment.”

The remaining language discusses what to do with battery acid and venting.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Interesting question. Given that the installation manual would require a light and a volt meter, and there are procedures that would require a flight manual supplement, I don’t see this as a minor alteration. Not a big deal to do a Field Approval or engineering approval except getting the ACO to sign off on the flight manual supplement.

Comparing EarthX to SBSJ16, you would be paying $51 per pound for the weight savings with their introductory price. That jumps up to $71 a pound with full price. I’m all for saving weight, but that’s pretty pricey in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good point- the installation manual does indeed say that the fault light is required to be installed. It seems that placing this battery in a atlee box on the firewall of a cessna 180 would meet the requirements other than adding the vent lines. I am going to draft a 337 for the local FSDO and see what they say. I love these batteries and even though they will be expensive, they are still 10 pounds lighter where I need the weight savings the most

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

What is EarthX saying about installation locations and heat? I've had an Odyssey on my 180 firewall for about 20 years and it hasn't had any heat issues but I recall an early EarthX having a melted case, and not from internal heat. I'd like to switch, too.

Battery Installation Location
The ETX900-TSO is designed to be mounted in a variety of locations within the aircraft including the engine compartment, baggage compartment or cabin as long as the environmental condition in those locations do not exceed the battery’s specifications (see the specifications section and environmental qualification section of this manual). The battery can be mounted in any position.

Never expose the battery to fire or temperatures above 185° F or 85° C.

I seem to remember someone saying that they were paying a whole bunch more than $51/pound when trying to save weight on a cub. Mainly when using carbon fiber and titanium to save those precious pounds. Sounds silly on a 1700# airplane but sometimes it is more about losing pounds at critical CG locations as opposed to just losing pounds. We shall see, but I do love the reliability of these batteries compared to a legacy battery. Not sure how I would rank them compared to an Odyssey.

Thanks for the reply.

My Odyssey PC625 has been friggin awesome but to lose a few pounds on the firewall can't hurt. Too bad I can't use the spare ETX-900 I already have!

I seem to remember someone saying that they were paying a whole bunch more than $51/pound when trying to save weight on a cub. Mainly when using carbon fiber and titanium to save those precious pounds. Sounds silly on a 1700# airplane but sometimes it is more about losing pounds at critical CG locations as opposed to just losing pounds. We shall see, but I do love the reliability of these batteries compared to a legacy battery. Not sure how I would rank them compared to an Odyssey.

My battery, (old Gill) is about totally dead. I am carrying the Earth X jump pack just in case, (thank you Stewart for suggesting). Wonder if Earth X will have a booth at Anchorage? I will buy a new battery if they do!

Compared to the Gill Jumbo Suitcase, it might be more weight savings. Move it to under my seat, cut out wires and such.. good times!

Seems you could install this battery using the Atlee Dodge under-seat, battery-rack, STC...

Seems you could install this battery using the Atlee Dodge under-seat, battery-rack, STC...

Does that STC provide the warning light? Does it provide a flight manual supplement with the EPS called out in the battery instructions?

I agree the Atlee Dodge STC likely provides the structural part, but not the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They achieved TSO approval. No STCs yet.

All EarthX aviation batteries have a built in LED status light and a pigtail for a panel light. They sell two different LED panel lights.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=350-2511-nd This is the panel LED that I used. They are smaller and I just like the looks of it better than the one they sell. I have one for each battery for the electronic ignition system I use. I use the same one with but with amber LED for the alternator low voltage warning light. I'm experimental.

It is pretty clear what is going on here. Low introductory price gets some people to 337 these things. Then the 337 will be used basis of everyone else's 337 until the FAA cries uncle at the paperwork deluge and grants an STC.

There are so many variables involved with mounting these batteries, why not do it this way? They supplied all the approved data...

Installation is spelled out nicely in 43.13-2B. All you need is an approval for the LIo battery instead of the lead-acid that 43.13 allows. If they'd update 43.13 to include TSO'd LIo batteries nobody would need any approvals.

It is pretty clear what is going on here. Low introductory price gets some people to 337 these things. Then the 337 will be used basis of everyone else's 337 until the FAA cries uncle at the paperwork deluge and grants an STC.

Never seen the FAA cry uncle.
Usually they just cry "no", at least around here.
Pretty easy for a public agency employee to just ignore / put off paperwork,
see that done more often than not.

Once one office somewhere signs off a 337, the flood gates open.

I see them cry uncle all the time. ex. Doing some 91.146 work. Start talking to them about paper work and they will ask if you have a commercial pilot certificate and you say yes, see if they want to write. Run a part 135 operation with 10 pilots to certify, see how quick you are a check airman. They just cried uncle on DPE's giving checkrides outside their region. Heck the whole 737 Max debacle came out of the FAA crying uncle on approval pacing.

Celebrate the accomplishment. Standard category planes now have a path to use the best battery available at a fraction of the weight. I have an EarthX in my exp Cub. I’ll be putting one in my 180. This is a good thing.

Has anyone installed a ETX900-TSO into a F.A. Dodge firewall battery box? I'm looking to do so on a C180 soon and I'm getting conflicting reports that it won't fit (it's slightly wider by about 1/16").

Looking for feedback, thanks.

It's just bigger enough to make one nuts. Had to modify the battery rack to fit. Wish I knew they had a box available.

Approval of the box isn't necessary. Use 43.13-2B for the relocation. The Earth X box is very nice. In a typical Skywagon installation you'd need to add stand offs to straddle the vertical leg on the seaplane mount but that'd be simple. Just make sure there's space above it since the Earth X box is a top loader. Wouldn't work in my plane. Would need to adapt it to a front loader like Mike did in the Wildcat.

Back