• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sailplane towing.

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Having just purchased a Schleicher Ka 6E,I am fitting a tost tow hook to my Backcountry cub.Has anyone fitted the tost tow hook to a cub?Are there any technical drawings around on the subject?Do I need certification approval of the installation to tow a private glider.Thanks,Ron.

Having just purchased a Schleicher Ka 6E,I am fitting a tost tow hook to my Backcountry cub.Has anyone fitted the tost tow hook to a cub?Are there any technical drawings around on the subject?Do I need certification approval of the installation to tow a private glider.Thanks,Ron.

Ron, is your “backcountry Cub” Experimental? If so, you better check your Operating Limitations. Most prohibit towing of any kind. That said, there are STCs for tow hitches, but most are Schweizer hitches. I think the Tost hitches we out on our glider club Cub and Pawnees were done on Field Approvals. You also need to meet the Part 61 requirements for towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question. How does experimental aviation in New Zealand compare to the USA? My operating limitations specifically prohibit glider towing as DGA stated.

Interesting question. How does experimental aviation in New Zealand compare to the USA? My operating limitations specifically prohibit glider towing as DGA stated.

Didn’t realize he was in NZ, but that is an interesting point. By the way, the K6 is a nice glider, good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron, what is your tailspring width? Tost offers EASA approved kits for Supercub/Husky with 1-1/4" wide tailspring; or Pawnee with 1-3/4" (from memory), which have same attach bolt spacing, but verify. U.S. vendor= www.wingsandwheels.com . Consider a yellow T-handle or similar through Teleflex/Morse cable, mount as close to throttle as possible for release. Use correct strength Tost "dogbone" shear links on both ends as safety link. Some discussions on rec.aviation.soaring. Consider Tost electric reel also.

Schweizer releases are very much out of favour, for good reason.

Thanks. cubscout

Thanks Stewartb.Still trying to find out .Looking at all gliding association rules and Civil Aviation Rules I have yet to find a NO.Hard to make direct contact with anyone by phone these days.

Thanks everyone for your help.Interesting I started looking up information on towing gliders with experimental aircraft in NZ.Information in NZ is almost non existent.Nothing is written in CAA information and the gliding association seems to have no info and no one seems to know.I have found a pilot who tows gliders with a homebuilt, based on a pawnee with a Lexus engine.As long as he does not charge for the tows, no one seems to worry.Civil Aviation tried to intervene but apparently overstepped the mark.As I will be towing a private glider with my "super cub" I cannot see a problem.

Last edited:
If you want to fly your K6 on good days don't tow.

In the soaring world there are two types of pilot; those who never go beyond final glide of the home field and cross country pilots. If you want to fly cross country don't tow.
Inevitably on the few great cross country days a year you will be a good guy and jump in the tow plane to help out your mates. And miss the best soaring of the year.

If you enjoy towing sell the K6.

Bill,thanks for the wise advice,I will take it on board.Regards

If you want to fly your K6 on good days don't tow.

In the soaring world there are two types of pilot; those who never go beyond final glide of the home field and cross country pilots. If you want to fly cross country don't tow.
Inevitably on the few great cross country days a year you will be a good guy and jump in the tow plane to help out your mates. And miss the best soaring of the year.

If you enjoy towing sell the K6.

Cub Crafters just installed 7 TOST tow hooks on Top Cubs, you may want to contact them for install advice.

Matt

Excellent advice there from Bill. ummm, that`s probably why I didn`t fly my delightful Ka6 enough, though some good XC's.

Thanks. cubscout

Back