• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Idaho ski flying, the rest of the story

I made sure to walk it first as there some boulders were starting to peek through, but we had a good 10 or 15' between his spinner and my right wing tip, and 5' clearance from the rocks to my left ski. As the mountain dropped away, the liftoff was automatic almost, and something I do a lot of. The only difference is NOT with, along with all my wintertime emergency gear, a passenger, but the plane stepped up to the plate and handled it just fine, made me proud of it!

Oh, maybe you mean Jonas's launch? I agree, you can see, right at 19:31, when he pulled the tail down way before lift off speed, like he was either trying to get airborne before the drop off or maybe was changing his mind about the entire matter. He should have just kept it up,that steep of a slope will get you airborne every time but trying to liftoff prior to it is the worst thing to do. I used to foot launch hang gliders off sheer cliffs, looked scary but were actually quite safe and easy, just have to keep the nose down, same thing here. The big deal here of course, was the lack of skis, that made it all a bit sketchy for sure.

I made sure to walk it first as there some boulders were starting to peek through, but we had a good 10 or 15' between his spinner and my right wing tip, and 5' clearance from the rocks to my left ski. As the mountain dropped away, the liftoff was automatic almost, and something I do a lot of. The only difference is NOT with, along with all my wintertime emergency gear, a passenger, but the plane stepped up to the plate and handled it just fine, made me proud of it!

Oh, maybe you mean Jonas's launch? I agree, you can see, right at 19:31, when he pulled the tail down way before lift off speed, like he was either trying to get airborne before the drop off or maybe was changing his mind about the entire matter. He should have just kept it up,that steep of a slope will get you airborne every time but trying to liftoff prior to it is the worst thing to do. I used to foot launch hang gliders off sheer cliffs, looked scary but were actually quite safe and easy, just have to keep the nose down, same thing here. The big deal here of course, was the lack of skis, that made it all a bit sketchy for sure.
Just curious, what size tires are you running? They look like small Bush tires.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My plane is on 6:00's while on the retracts, otherwise it's on 29's. Jonas's plane is on Goodyear's, not sure what size but not Airstreaks, something else he needs to upgrade to.

That was a fun, well-done video. The second one is too. You can always tell when someone is good at flying off-airport because they make it all look easy. And high altitudes complicate it more.

I have never seen two people ride a snowmobile side by side and standing before. Maybe because Jonas is a Kitfox owner. ��

Jonas was a lucky fellow he didn’t end up on his nose.

Yeah, other's have commented on that unique sled riding style, first for me too! If it ever quits raining and blowing I want to eyeball the site now that the thaw has set in, and it's true very rocky and pointy nature will be evident. Heck, I can see it from the bathroom window, about 7 miles away.

Here's another that Jonas did, not about flying though it did take place at an airport! He knocked it off as a favor for me, to get me to play along with the other one I think, as a favor anyway that i could post on a crane forum I'm on. He makes a living doing pro video and drone work, and was constantly apologizing for the crudeness of this one, but it looked pretty cool to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMMhTUvn93E&t=10s

Standing up while operating a sled is pretty no sweat for it's owner, here's a shot of the type of skiing he does. While holding a selfie stick no less. https://www.tetongravity.com/video/ski/sander-handleys-season-is-going-just-fine

Last edited:
Tom , That’s just to COOL for a man of our advanced years :lol:
Loved the other videos, Your flying is top shelf. Jonas is a good stick to. Although He needs to hang with you awhile to learn the do’s and don’t’s of you all’s country.

Back