Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 35s

Post Thanks / Like
    No rub marks

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    No rub marks

Glenn
    Not 2 psi, not on an off camber spot and not the typical set up you see with a 31" bushwheel. Also your brakes probably suck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    Wheel land or 3 Point, that is a whole big thread drift! Never ran a Cato and probably never will for the reasons stated above and more. If you are going to land off airport and land in rough stuff (which I do with any airplane I own) you are going to pick stuff up and sometimes it does come off the tires or cut some brush with the propeller, never a problem for me with a metal propeller. Keep the tail high coming into big rocks and it is never a problem landing very rough places with big rocks. People use techniques for the very reasons you stated, tires just another tool, keeping it light another advantage whether on 35" or 31". Bottom line for me is the 35" tire was the best tire made to this point for my mission, not every mission but enough so I am not going to switch tires back and forth.
    Post us some pictures of all this super nasty stuff you use your 35" tires for? Love to view them! Looking forward to seeing what you got.

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't need to post pictures to prove anything. There are some pretty big rocks in Vol. 1 Big Rocks and Long Props DVD flying my Experimental Maule a.k.a. Bushwacker. Pictures really don't prove much as anyone can land and taxi into a totally crap place.

I find most people that post on here lack any real credibility but I will fly with anyone that wants to show up with there cub and prove my point!

Cubdriver2 totally proves my point with his set up.
    Likes Mauledriver, RaisedByWolves, Indabush liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, pulled out the Smoking gun!

Post Thanks / Like
    18856AC9-6F9C-402D-9641-5D3B75140E19.jpg
    Roughest flowers I ever landed on. Almost didn’t get back out as the blue bonnets damn near chewed my catto in two. Thank god for 35s. They are insurance for bad judgement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    When you start talking about how big and bad rough and tumble all the strips you go into are tires become only a smaller part of the picture, important, but only a small part. Take fabric/paint and general aircraft condition, Are you going to drag a new 30,000 recover job into a strip with knee to waist high brush? How many alders are you going to drag that new leading edge through? Oh ya lets trim some brush/shrubs with that Cato prop. 35,s can handle it but will the rest of the plane? How much mud/rock do you really want to throw into the prop? If you even think twice about not getting them due to money, don't because unless you only land in wide open spaces the rest of the carnage to the plane is going to cost quite a bit every year. Mission, mission, mission.
    DENNY

Third landing after the rebuild. Guess there’s something wrong with me. Now it’s just an old supercub again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well nice picture but that does not really show what a 35 is capable of rolling over.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let there be no doubt. Greg sets the standard. He is the stud the rest of wish we were. He USES his 35’s. The rest of just brag about them.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well nice picture but that does not really show what a 35 is capable of rolling over.
    Surely it’s just an illusion created by the 35’s. The rocks in the photo may be larger than they appear.

Maybe the tires should come with a disclaimer “the objects you may now safely roll over are larger than they appear” “they may also inflate some egos, and have been known to cause jealousy”
    Likes TurboBeaver, bjh356 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Let there be no doubt. Greg sets the standard. He is the stud the rest of wish we were. He USES his 35’s. The rest of just brag about them.

Bill
    EXCEPT FOR LONNIE, on his 31’s doing everything he does!

Post Thanks / Like
    It is true, Loni worked the 31" tires to the max. He is a truly gifted cub pilot. I bet Loni would hate to be back on 31" tires.
    Likes Mauledriver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauledriver View Post
    Surely it’s just an illusion created by the 35’s. The rocks in the photo may be larger than they appear.

Maybe the tires should come with a disclaimer “the objects you may now safely roll over are larger than they appear” “they may also inflate some egos, and have been known to cause jealousy”
    It is true 35 do make bigger rocks look small.
    In Big Rocks Vol. 1 I placed a basket ball in one of the gravel bar's I landed to show size of rocks. When I was turning around I blew the ball into the river. You can hardly see it happen so I don't think I ever mentioned it. That basket ball looked like a softball and sometimes like a base ball compared to the size of the rocks.
    Last edited by Mauleguy; 04-10-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was out at Ultima Thule Lodge several years ago for the Geo Cache and saw the places Paul, Loni and Hank landed on 35s. No way we was going in there with 90 hp and 31s. It was interesting when we got back from the Geo Cache and getting ready to go to Valdez for the STOL Contest. All the 35s and Baby Bushwheels came off and 31s and Scott 3200s went on. Different mission different equipment.
    101_9258.jpg

101_9260.jpg
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes courierguy, nightflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In Big Rocks Vol. 1 I placed a basket ball in one of the gravel bar's I landed to show size of rocks. When I was turning around I blew the ball into the river. You can hardly see it happen so I don't think I ever mentioned it.
    I remember that. Did put the size of the rocks in perspective.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    In Big Rocks Vol. 1 I placed a basket ball in one of the gravel bar's I landed to show size of rocks. When I was turning around I blew the ball into the river. You can hardly see it happen so I don't think I ever mentioned it.
    I have all of your videos and refer to them often. I was amazed at what the first set of 35’s EVER would absorb in regards to size of rocks (boulders) that they could roll over with ease. The reduced shock to the airframe alone is probably worth the price (although I do wish that the were less expensive), plus as was mentioned above, they wear at least 2:1 over 31’s, and possibly 3:1.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was the post I put out this morning and lost. A good moderator found it for me!

If you have not used a 35" tire you can not imagine the difference between it and a 31". AOSS is not that great compared to what is out there now and really never worked that great. LOOK and see how much your AOSS moves when you rock the airplane and you can see it is not sucking up anything. You can run a 35" tire at 2 psi try that with a 31" tire and it is flat and will cut into the brake disc.

The 35" tire will outlast the 31" tire by I bet twice the amount of pavement landings because of rolling diameter (replacement of tires goes down). I always thought that Alaskan Bushwheel hurt there business buy making the tire because once you bought a set they last forever vs a 31" and they are not that much more per tire. The tires also span a lot bigger hole, easier on gear attach points and hardware.

I just replaced my 35" tires with just guessing 20K landings or more. They are not worn out, no cords are showing, in fact I bet they have at least half the tread they came with. They were just checked so bad and in places the Stan's tire sealant was coming out so I decided it was time (15 years on them). First 35" tires ever built!

Yes most people will do fine with a 31", but those same guys will benefit from the 35" if they misread a spot from lack of experience. I know for a fact and saw the tundra still attached to the cabane vee that one guy got away with landing a spot he would not have on 31" tires. He could barely get the airplane rolling again it was so rough, almost needed a helicopter to retrieve that airplane. He was a high time float plane pilot and a good stick with really almost zero off airport tire experience. Saved his airplane for sure that is a fact! I watched Loni land places that a 35" would have worked much better. I also watched Loni replace gear bushings, gear bolts. I was also landing some places he would not. As soon as the 35" was legal he had 35" tires on his cub.

For those on the fence about the extra cost I say it is worth it. If you are anal about the weight and don't need them buy a 31" tire it is a great tire.
    As for a 42" tire, I have not heard of that being in the works, maybe that is just a joke. Would I run out and buy a 42" tire, probably not.

By the way I measured my old 35" tire standing without weight on them when I pulled them off my cub and they measure almost 39" tall with probably around 3 psi.

This is my last one on the 35 tires I think I have made my bias pretty well known

Post Thanks / Like
    Not 2 psi, not on an off camber spot and not the typical set up you see with a 31" bushwheel. Also your brakes probably suck!
    My brakes will stay locked till 2300 rpm or skid first. Some of us don't run out and buy the lasted and greatest when we can't figure out how to get things to work.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My brakes will stay locked till 2300 rpm or skid first. Some of us don't run out and buy the lasted and greatest when we can't figure out how to get things to work.

Glenn
    Even when you go down joes hill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Even when you go down joes hill?

Yup, my bad. Like your spinner imprint you left in the sand on Stillwater

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said, buy what ever floats your boat. I was happy on 800x4 25 years ago. Then I got GY 25 x11x4 and was in heaven for over 10 years. Then $100 dollar 31s and it's even better. I think everyone should buy 35s so there will be more used 31s for sale.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Is there any disadvantage to 35s over 31s, except for cost and weight? What are the advantages? I have 31s but have never even flown 35s and with my new Airframes fuse, they'll send me new 31s, or for a few more bucks, 35s.
    Sorry for the drift Kid, guess if you already have 31s you should buy the 35s. If you don't use them it looks like you wouldn't have any trouble selling them?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn

You are running 4" brakes, with adapters, on 31" tires and you can turn 2300 RPM and stay locked up?

Please, tell us what engine/prop and which master cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyo View Post
    You are running 4" brakes, with adapters, on 31" tires and you can turn 2300 RPM and stay locked up?

Please, tell us what engine/prop and which master cylinders.
    0200, GA Sen, stock Scott's

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't need to post pictures to prove anything. There are some pretty big rocks in Vol. 1 Big Rocks and Long Props DVD flying my Experimental Maule a.k.a. Bushwacker. Pictures really don't prove much as anyone can land and taxi into a totally crap place.

I find most people that post on here lack any real credibility but I will fly with anyone that wants to show up with there cub and prove my point!

Cubdriver2 totally proves my point with his set up.
    OK, I accept the fact that you can land on BIG rocks safely. And I accept the fact that most other people do or can not. What I am curious about is, Why? Is the fishing better where the big rocks are located? Or is it just because you can and wish to prove a point to yourself? Just wondering.
    N1PA
    Likes Chicken Hawk, 75charley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've built my airplane to have fun with it. 35's makes things even more fun.

But I find very difficult to determine if I can land somewhere new without have walking it before . Looks can be deceiving. You know you're in ruff stuff when your tailwheel fork and spring hit the rocks.

I know I will surely damage my aircraft someday. But I will continue to play with my airplane until that day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    OK, I accept the fact that you can land on BIG rocks safely. And I accept the fact that most other people do or can not. What I am curious about is, Why? Is the fishing better where the big rocks are located? Or is it just because you can and wish to prove a point to yourself? Just wondering.
    I don't have near the skill set as Greg nor the balls but I do enjoy playing on our local gravel bars that can be short, rough and pretty darn exhilarating. My Dad says I am an adrenaline junky. It is fun and I enjoy it. Lucky to have friends afflicted with the same sickness.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 04-11-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes cubdriver2, Olibuilt, KevinJ, DENNY, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    My Dad says I am an adrenaline junky.
    There are way worse kinds of junkies...
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwcNHWqBCkU

old video, old non hd camera, not sure how to put it in the thread with a mac computer. Try it on 31" and see how it works out for you!
    Likes Mauledriver, AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Big tires allow one to not only INTENTIONALLY go into big rocks, but most are used I'm guessing going into places that have the POTENTIAL of having big rocks. That's how I use mine mostly, the rare big rock gravel bar aside. Kind of like taking your 4x4 up a road, while still in 2 wheel drive, but knowing you can hit 4 wheel if needed, it allows to see whats up that road, with a get out of jail free card. Big tires are an insurance policy,. No reason at all to do this, other then plain old fun! I usually do it to take a leak. Having a real emergency necessitating an unplanned off airport landing, is another good excuse to have large rubber. As is calling a truce on the war on the voles in my runway, I can't feel their mounds anymore so I just let them be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    When I get my strip going it will be about a 10% grade, maybe 12% and not very long. Turning back down hill, to taxi back to the bottom where I might put a hanger, bothers me from the standpoint that the tail is "up", via the hill, and at a 10% grade if you hit the brakes, and you have to, the nose over tendency is high but I thought the 2" higher, via the 35s, would shift my CG rearward thusly making it more unlikely that I would nose over. But I am not an aeronautical engineer so I don't really know.
    Dave when you get that old crooked fuselage replaced you will be amazed at how great that old cub will fly. You could also lose some weight getting rid of the cuffs, save weight where you can, put 3” extended gear on it with Steve’s Brakes and Gascolator a Borer prop and Thrustline and 31s will take you anywhere your brave enough to go. At least that’s my experience. The performance gain you get with proper AOI in your fuselage is going to amaze you.
    Dave from Miles City
    ( the guy who drilled holes in your door posts)
    Likes AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am amazed at where 35s will land and what they will roll over but unless your going into those places 31s are better.
    Just my opinion.
    dave

Post Thanks / Like
    For me tire size is determined by how it impacts rolling resistance on the surfaces I'm likely to visit. I have big tundra tires for tundra. Soggy, wet, littered with old black spruce and willow root wads, animal burrows, game path trenches, etc. Around my place 35" flotation and diameter will roll much easier than 31s. It's the difference between go and no-go. Maybe a better pilot in a different plane could get in and out on 31s. Not relevant. I built my plane for me. 35s are an important component for what my plane is built to do.
    Likes DENNY, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwcNHWqBCkU

old video, old non hd camera, not sure how to put it in the thread with a mac computer. Try it on 31" and see how it works out for you!
    I get it! You didn't want to damage the fabric on your fuselage. How is the fishing in that stream?
    N1PA
    Likes Colorguns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We finally have a thread to replace the downwind turn thread.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Colorguns, abrogado liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Three things I've never understood are how a person could pretend to understand someone else's financial choices, their risk management choices, and their tastes.

This thread seems to have become about instructing total strangers on all accounts

One of the best cub guys I know has been known to follow me (or visa versa) having all the fun either of us can stand... me typically on 35's, him on 'streaks. We pick what we like, and don't prod each other for our choices.

As to the AK vs everywhere else mentality.... get over yourself. The most concerned I have ever been about potential LZ's in a cub, was towing a banner over downtown San Francisco. Trouble is wherever you find it.

Take care, Rob
    Thanks flyrite, Mauledriver thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I get it! You didn't want to damage the fabric on your fuselage. How is the fishing in that stream?
    It was not about damaging fabric it was about having everything exposed and easy to inspect or repair. It was actually a pretty cool idea I thought!
    The fishing is great later in the year.

Same cub once I got the upper baggage built: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdb0TKu3rk The guy that owns the airplane now and lives in Alaska loves this airplane. Has owned it probably 10 years now.
    Likes skywagon8a, Mauledriver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Size does matter....... And my wife loves my 35's!!
    My superior skills continue to get me out of where my piss poor judgement took me......

Post Thanks / Like
    It was not about damaging fabric it was about having everything exposed and easy to inspect or repair. It was actually a pretty cool idea I thought!
    The fishing is great later in the year.

Same cub once I got the upper baggage built: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdb0TKu3rk The guy that owns the airplane now and lives in Alaska loves this airplane. Has owned it probably 10 years now.
    Certainly a good performing Cub, and the spot will certainly not get regular visits from 99% of the regular Cub crowd. Thought I would post a picture
    of what can be done even on 25/11/4's way back in the 1960's. Again not the sorta place the avg fella is going to venture into today. But great example of what a professional bush pilot can do with a cub. Thats Bill Sims as a young fella hitting a sheep strip when he and Denny Thompson operated out of Susitna Lodge. Like Bill Ellis and Jack Wilson,
    All of them true "rock pile" jockeys!20190412_132701~2.jpg

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes Rob, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    20190412_132701~2.jpg

Turns out Piper had it pretty good right from the get go