• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

35s

Where's 16Bravo? He has a fishing video from last summer where the LZ is water-filled deep ruts in high grass. Best demo of the 35" advantage I've ever seen.

Not to drift off of this thread too far but...In the past, I’ve had a heck of a time getting the 10” rims off 35s. Jumping, prying, etc. This time, I used a large screw driver to pry the tire just far enough away from the rim to spray a little mineral spirits between the two. After a min or so the rim halves popped right out. I’m guessing that soaking the tire in solvent isn't the best thing for the tire. That said, nor is using pry bars and 400lb monkeys.

Not to drift off of this thread too far but...In the past, I’ve had a heck of a time getting the 10” rims off 35s. Jumping, prying, etc. This time, I used a large screw driver to pry the tire just far enough away from the rim to spray a little mineral spirits between the two. After a min or so the rim halves popped right out. I’m guessing that soaking the tire in solvent isn't the best thing for the tire. That said, nor is using pry bars and 400lb monkeys.

Set the tire/wheel combo flat with no air, squirt soap water combo around bead area then walk around the tire rim area a little bit and let it soak inn then do it again. use a block of wood on bottom side of wheel and that will help push the wheel up and let the tire unseat. if needed use a wedge of some type between the wheel and tire a little at a time.

In my experience, a bead breaker works soo much better than walking /jumping on the bead, etc.
The big problem might be finding one that's big enough to fit 35's.
beadbreaker.jpg

2Q==

Attachments

• beadbreaker.jpg
    beadbreaker.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 3,377
I first used the stabilizers on my crane for my 29" Airstreaks: I put the 24" dia. pad on the outrigger foot, and a couple of boards on each side of the wheel, both top and bottom, and gently apply pressure until it pops free. The exact same principle as a bead breaker. But the last couple of times I just used a 2x2 (approx) length of wood and reached in through the hub to the opposite side and using a dead blow rubber mallet whacked it a few times, applying pressure to the rim not the bearing set.....and it popped right out.

Here's the view I have walking out the door of the house, where there is a retaining wall I use to display my souvenir rocks and other objects I've found after landing significant sites. That pointy sucker dead and center was embedded 3/4 of the way down (like the Titanic's iceberg) on a high ridge that otherwise had just some gravel and baseball sized loose rocks. The pointy end was angled towards my tire at about a 45, it couldn't have been "better" positioned to maybe cause an issue for my 29" Airstreak, and I only spotted it after I back walked my landing, and sam I missed it by 5'. In solid, it took a fair bit of work to dig up, and now when I walk by it every day it is a constant reminder how much fun off airport can be, and how spooky. My gut feeling is I most likely could have rolled over it without slashing the tire open, I'd say the odds were 80% based on my pressure (3.5 PSI, if I'd known it was there I would have dropped it 1 pound) it wouldn't have been a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_092416788.jpg
    IMG_20210128_092416788.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 276
My buddy told me the easy way, lay the tire under the rear bumper/hitch of your pickup. Set a handyman jack on the sidewall, right up against the rim & jack up against the hitch receiver.... like your trying to raise your pickup. It'll push the tire off the bead almost instantly.

35s can be really tough if they have been on for a while. I tried to get them off the rims for the ferry flight and eventually gave up for fear of damage.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I don't see how that contraption is supposed to work.
Got a pic of one in action?

The local mechanic shop has an awesome beadbreaker,
much more skookum than the one I posted a pic of.
Probably 50 years old, or more,
made back in the day of cast & forged steel parts.
I improvised a beadbreaker using a couple of 2x4's & a vicegrip clamped on an i-beam upright in my hangar,
worked OK but not as well as the old school beadbreaker.

Their website has a couple of videos on how it works. Click on "How to Change Tires" on the right side and scroll down.

Last edited:

I improvised a beadbreaker using a couple of 2x4's & a vicegrip clamped on an i-beam upright in my hangar,

It would be interesting to see some pictures of the heavy duty beadbreaker.

I don’t have bush wheels but the contraption has a wedge that slides down between the rim and bead then the bolt pushes against the tire bead forcing it away from the rim
I use it for especially ATV tires and they are very hard to break the bead and this tool works great for that. The video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=adwFwXd9ynQ may help. Maybe not??

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

If you're trying to break loose a really well-seated bead,
that bead-buster contraption looks like it puts more stress on a relatively small part of the wheel to suit me.
I'd hate to break a wheel-- worse yet,,
put a small crack in one that would no doubt catastrophically fail at the worst possible time.

The local mechanic shop has an awesome beadbreaker, much more skookum than the one I posted a pic of.
Probably 50 years old, or more, made back in the day of cast & forged steel parts.....

beadbreaker 1.jpg

beadbreaker2.jpg

beadbreaker3.jpg

Attachments

• beadbreaker 1.jpg
    beadbreaker 1.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 207
  • beadbreaker2.jpg
    beadbreaker2.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 203
  • beadbreaker3.jpg
    beadbreaker3.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 214
FDC25035-BE41-4E6F-BB44-6DA45353FB36.jpeg

I agree with Greg so take this for what it’s worth. This is a spot I landed last summer. Couldn’t taxi as once I stopped and the tail came down I was stuck. That’s where the landing stopped. Had to get out and move some tundra and dig out a ramp to get out. I fly 31s on cubs for work and have 35s for my personal cub. 90% of what I do is easily done on 31s or less but I bought the cub and 35s because I love being in that last %10.

Also they are great for when you misjudge a spot and like Stewart stated give you lots of lift in the wet swampy stuff pulling out loads of moose meat. I also agree with the fact of 90% of cubs in Anchorage have bushwheels to look cool sitting on the big su or knik.

Attachments

• FDC25035-BE41-4E6F-BB44-6DA45353FB36.jpeg
    FDC25035-BE41-4E6F-BB44-6DA45353FB36.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 231
Just trying to keep this conversation going, I bought Airstreaks back in1980, and then up to 31 Bushwheel and bought one of the first sets of 35’s that were legal, Air Taxi and guide and lodge support, that said I have never weighed one of those tires off the rim. I was amazed when one of the best know builders and pilots told me he weighed a 31 inch Bushwheel off the wheel and it weighed 41 lbs. Are they making tires heavier than they used too? Has anyone weighed a new 35 off the wheel?
Or for that matter on the wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
I have a set of older worn out 31s that are 41.22 lbs each on a 3 bolt 1.5 inch axle Cleveland wheel with the thinner brake disc.
The fairly early (experimental) 35s I use are on Greg Miller's billet wheels with the thin disc weigh 54.14 lbs each. The 35s seem way more pliable. It's a 26 lb total penalty to run them. They stand 38.5 inches tall with no load. The 31s stand 32 ish.

I'm often dealing with big changes in altitude and even running the 35s super low psi from my home base at 8300 ft they get really stiff at 12,500 ft. The beating the plane takes landing rough stuff at 1900 lbs at that altitude (ground speeds in the 50s) doesn't make me want to use the 31s, except in a pinch. I'm a long ways from parts, no helicopters for airlift and hull coverage is next to impossible here so I'm happy with 35s, Acmes, safety cables and extra HD 1.5 inch axle gear. Each to their own.

In the upper right of the first picture you can see steps in the hillside above the far thatch roof. These can be 12+ inches tall, vertical. If I hit square on with both wheel it feels bad. Probably 31s could handle that with the right psi and technique but...I ran them for one flight, didn't notice noticeable improvement in climb or cruise. They are backup if I ever destroy a 35 and need to get the plane home.20200617_082750.jpeg20200316_090127.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20200617_082750.jpeg
    20200617_082750.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200316_090127.jpeg
    20200316_090127.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 195
A mounted 35 w/ rotor is 59.4#. A mounted 29 w/ rotor is 40#, so a 31 should be 43#. A mounted 29” Air Hawk is 50#, in case anyone wonders.

Attachments

• 57E23F5F-F745-4464-9BEC-3DF3255B010B.jpeg
    57E23F5F-F745-4464-9BEC-3DF3255B010B.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 117
Stewart, is there different types of 31’s,the mechanic I spoke with weighed an unmounted 31 and it came in at 41 lbs! This was last week.

The 41 lb. 31inch tire has me wondering if they are putting more rubber on all their tires for some reason. This was a new tire! I have owned three sets of 35’s but never weighed them, if the newer tires are heavier the 1150 lb. cub on 35’s might need to get on the scales again.

Last edited:
41lbs is definitely heavy for a 31 unless it's a heavy tread. They normally clock in around 35lbs for a standard tread and 39-40lbs for a heavy tread. They are weighed as a final step in the inspection process and the weight (as well as other info) written on the tread in grease pencil if the tire is new. They should also ship with a QC card listing the finished weight if you got a new tire.

The tires have definitely put on a little weight but only 1-2 lbs per tire depending on size. From what I recall (not a tire builder or engineer) there is a slightly thicker gauge of airbag material which is more puncture resistant as well as more overlap between the plies to prevent delamination. From a sales/customer perspective I have seen drastically fewer warranty issues and fewer returns for repair so that extra weight seems to be paying off. It's always a delicate balance between weight and reliability in aviation.

Cannot speak for the individual mechanic I was speaking to but he was as surprised as I was with that weight. We both thought it was maybe a step intentionally taken to pacify hard pavement pilots, who leave rubber on the pavement! What is normal for a 35?

So when will the 31" Airstreaks come out? Made for a lighter gross weight plane, like mine. I'm ready anytime they want to make me a pair.

Back