• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

35s

So when will the 31" Airstreaks come out? Made for a lighter gross weight plane, like mine. I'm ready anytime they want to make me a pair.

You and I both. A 31 but with the construction of the Ultralite 29 would cause an immediate and non-voluntary order placement on the ABI website.

2 yrld 35”.......CC8ECCE0-CD5A-4CC6-9967-5801865B5C41.jpg
New 10” wheel......
3EB612CE-31A0-4A96-8700-B957D66F9285.jpg

Attachments

• CC8ECCE0-CD5A-4CC6-9967-5801865B5C41.jpg
    CC8ECCE0-CD5A-4CC6-9967-5801865B5C41.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 3EB612CE-31A0-4A96-8700-B957D66F9285.jpg
    3EB612CE-31A0-4A96-8700-B957D66F9285.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 177
With a brake disc or without?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
It’s the complete wheel with the brake disk and bearing grease. I had an older set that were slightly heavier. I think the difference is often in the brake disk. I have a spare set rotors, from airframes, and the weight of those vary a few ounces.

Here’s a 8-9yrld 10” wheel.....
2DD06AB5-14C4-4C94-A8F4-BA332E852389.jpg
There might also be an extra ounce of old bearing grease also. The brake disks on these were pretty wore out however.

Attachments

• 2DD06AB5-14C4-4C94-A8F4-BA332E852389.jpg
    2DD06AB5-14C4-4C94-A8F4-BA332E852389.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 150
I bought a set of shaved Desser 29's for the 185, took em and left them with my mechanic. He called 20 minutes later and said he couldn't install them on my plane. Note, they'd come off another 185 and were said to have 100hrs on them. In any case, my mechanic found soft spots on the tires and he didn't believe they were airworthy on a 185 with it's weights and speed. On a super cub maybe...I lost a good friend over this deal. How can one mechanic' opinion very so much from another mechanic' opinion...I mean a rule's a rule right? Geesch!

It’s the complete wheel with the brake disk and bearing grease. I had an older set that were slightly heavier. I think the difference is often in the brake disk. I have a spare set rotors, from airframes, and the weight of those vary a few ounces.

Interesting that yours are 6# lighter than mine in the pic on the previous page of this thread.

Yep, I agree. I weighed the other un mounted tire and its pretty close to the weight of this one. Did you not put helium in yours Stewart?

Last edited:
I bought a set of shaved Desser 29's for the 185, took em and left them with my mechanic. He called 20 minutes later and said he couldn't install them on my plane. Note, they'd come off another 185 and were said to have 100hrs on them. In any case, my mechanic found soft spots on the tires and he didn't believe they were airworthy on a 185 with it's weights and speed. On a super cub maybe...I lost a good friend over this deal. How can one mechanic' opinion very so much from another mechanic' opinion...I mean a rule's a rule right? Geesch!

Do you mean 29" Air Hawks?

How can one mechanic' opinion very so much from another mechanic' opinion...I mean a rule's a rule right? Geesch!

Don't forget that it's the mechanic's name that goes in the logbook. Each individual mechanic has to decide what he considers airworthy. It's just like the go or no go decision for a pilot. It's a judgement call. No one should ever question another's decision. Every person has their own set of experiences they use to guide their decisions. So if one mechanic's decision doesn't agree with your personal outlook, go to another. Just like Flight Instructors, keep looking until you find one you work well with. All concerned will be happier.

Did the guy who sold you the tires take them back - and refund your dough?

Don't forget that it's the mechanic's name that goes in the logbook. Each individual mechanic has to decide what he considers airworthy. It's just like the go or no go decision for a pilot. It's a judgement call. No one should ever question another's decision. Every person has their own set of experiences they use to guide their decisions. So if one mechanic's decision doesn't agree with your personal outlook, go to another. Just like Flight Instructors, keep looking until you find one you work well with. All concerned will be happier.

Did the guy who sold you the tires take them back - and refund your dough?

I agree with most of this, however the part about finding a mechanic that agrees with you; not so much.
Yes, it’s good to have a mechanic you can work with, but a (good) mechanic has basically two goals, one - keep you alive.
two- keep his license.
Sounds like you have a good mechanic.
Give your buddy back his tires, if he won’t take them back, he’s not your buddy and it’s on you to eat the cost, take them out of circulation and spare someone else the potential risk of running them.

I agree with most of this, however the part about finding a mechanic that agrees with you; not so much.
Yes, it’s good to have a mechanic you can work with, but a (good) mechanic has basically two goals, one - keep you alive.
two- keep his license.
Sounds like you have a good mechanic.
Give your buddy back his tires, if he won’t take them back, he’s not your buddy and it’s on you to eat the cost, take them out of circulation and spare someone else the potential risk of running them.

I strongly disagree with the "no one should ever question another's decision"

I strongly disagree with the "no one should ever question another's decision"

Farm Boy;

Please explain why. I've been wrong before - I think it was 1974. Seriously though I am interested in why you disagree.

It's my opinion that any person's decisions are theirs and theirs alone. In this case the mechanic in question has a right to decide as he sees fit. To question that or to attempt to change his mind is challenging his humanity and right to self determination. At issue here is whether his decision is illegal or counter to regulation. If it is not, it is HIS decision and only his. That decision deserves our respect and deference. No matter the quality or propriety of any decision the person deciding deserves to live by their own guidelines.

Having said that, should we point out considerations that we think may have been overlooked in a decision matrix if we believe the person has missed the mark? Definitely, but not to question or challenge; only to point out issues perhaps overlooked. Which is why I'd be interested to understand why you disagree with my assertion that any individual's decisions ought not be questioned.

Farm Boy;

Please explain why. I've been wrong before - I think it was 1974. Seriously though I am interested in why you disagree.

It's my opinion that any person's decisions are theirs and theirs alone. In this case the mechanic in question has a right to decide as he sees fit. To question that or to attempt to change his mind is challenging his humanity and right to self determination. At issue here is whether his decision is illegal or counter to regulation. If it is not, it is HIS decision and only his. That decision deserves our respect and deference. No matter the quality or propriety of any decision the person deciding deserves to live by their own guidelines.

Having said that, should we point out considerations that we think may have been overlooked in a decision matrix if we believe the person has missed the mark? Definitely, but not to question or challenge; only to point out issues perhaps overlooked. Which is why I'd be interested to understand why you disagree with my assertion that any individual's decisions ought not be questioned.

If you ever want to chat about it over a beer I gladly would! For now I think I'll leave this thread to its original topic: 35's vs 31's cost/benefits

Back