• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Funnel on C180

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
giant-plastic-funnel.jpg

I have been using this very long plastic funnel for years to oil up the C180. I'm sure there are better alternatives as it takes up a lot of space in the back of the plane. Any suggestions?

sj

Attachments

• giant-plastic-funnel.jpg
    giant-plastic-funnel.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,422
Yes, but not long enough to stick out of the oil door on top of a 55'

sj

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-1010...y&sprefix=oil+spout+automotive,aps,308&sr=8-9
3186MB87YTL.jpg

Phillips XC gives you a couple free spout extensions in every case, one more reason it's better oil

I use a similar long funnel, in the hangar.
What I carry in the airplane for adding oil is two of those blue extensions that Phillips puts in every case of their XC20-50 oil.
It's a bit awkward but I hold my thumb over the end until I get the nozzle guided into the oil filler.

oil spout.jpg

Attachments

• oil spout.jpg
    oil spout.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I use a funnel similar to what SJ posted on my 182, only I cut most of the taper off of the bottom. It’s just long enough to where it can wedge into the oil fill tube.

I have a bunch of funnels around but only one I use for airplanes, because only one stays clean enough to use. The Skywagon oil filler isn't as bad as the Cub oil filler that's too small to fit an X/C bottle into.

IMG_5163.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5163.JPG
    IMG_5163.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 318
Yes, but not long enough to stick out of the oil door on top of a 55'
It will stick out of an original "54" cowl cause that is what I do. Then put it back in a plastic baggie for the next time.

I use a funnel similar to what SJ posted on my 182, only I cut most of the taper off of the bottom. It’s just long enough to where it can wedge into the oil fill tube.

That is what I need to do... why didn't I think of that?

sj

Over the years I have carried long transmission funnels in many different vehicles. Always a pain because when I needed the funnel, it was filthy from being loose in a trunk, toolbox, or compartment. My dear wife saved a torn pair of Levi's with a good leg for me. I cut off a good leg as long as I could get. I scrunched up the cuff end and wrapped it with a couple of turns of heavy mechanic's wire and twisted tight. Zip ties work too but the wire is more permanent. Now you have a long cloth bag. Put the small end of the funnel in first and then stuff the extra of the cut end into the big end of the funnel with a twist. My funnel was pretty much sealed in a denim bag and clean to use when I needed it.

This one will work after I finish the onion rings. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
IMG_20190401_174114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_174114.jpg
    IMG_20190401_174114.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 909
I don't have a picture, but Northern Lights Avionics in Anchorage sells a little plastic tube with female threads to fit the oil bottle on one end and male threads to fit the cap on the other. In the middle is a butterfly valve. It's about 3 inches long and sells for about $2.50. They work great. I have them in both Continental powered planes and in the hangar... You screw it on the bottle, shut the valve, tip it into the engine, turn on the valve....etc. When you're done you just put the cap on the end and leave the empty attached until you need another quart. Always clean, always sealed, no messy funnels.. Since I found those things I don't even use a funnel for oil changes - I just switch back and forth between two of them and fill the engine in short order.. I'll try to take a picture and learn to upload it to this site if no-one posts one in the meantime.

Nice idea but some of us buy gallons. ;)

Oh.. er.. well.. yeah you're right! :bang Never even thought about that. Now I'm going to have to do a search to see if any are made for gallons...Gallon ones would probably be too big for filler, etc., but boy do the little ones help to stay clean. If you spend more than 1 quart of time away from home the little ones are a great way to have a civilized means to keep a spout in the plane and add a quart when needed..

I have a bunch of funnels around but only one I use for airplanes, because only one stays clean enough to use.

The trick with oil funnels is to keep them in an old fridge. One that still seals, but obviously doesn't need to work. All the dust and dirt from your shed stay out of the oil. Funnels, hoses and used oil bottles all stay clean.

When on the road, I use the disposable paper oil funnels.

Zip-lock baggies. Easy!

Ziplocks are what you put my little valve things and empty bottles into.. with some paper towels... oil is messy.
The funnels with screw tops on each end are a great step forward.. Ziplocks alone are fine until you reach inside one for your funnel..
The perfect solution is easy in your hangar.. I speak more toward what is easy to pull out from under the back seat when away from home to add a quart. Those little valve things have proven so easy I use them in my hangar too.

I stuff a piece of paper towel into each end of the funnel, then into the zip-lock. Then once in a while change out the paper towel pieces. Oh yeah, and have a roll of paper towels in the same box as the oil and funnel. Easy. But then, I'm admittedly a bit redneck - valves and caps and such in / on funnels are kinda complicated for my simple mind. :lol:

Back