• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Surefly Solid State Magneto...

I've not seen this one before. Thank you. Looks like the operation is similar to the original Emag except that the static timing point is fixed. If you can't get an Emag to time with the MP port, you install it the same as this, except the LED is on rather than off. Interesting that it is designed for the Slick harness to make it a drop in Slick replacement for $1250. According to their claims, it should run untouched to TBO of the engine. For redundancy sake, they advise keeping one magneto in case of electric failure. This may appeal to a lot of owners. And they have both 4 and 6 cyl versions for both Continental and Lycomings. This may appeal to a lot of owners.

-Cub Builder

Several guys over on the Grumman Gang forum are using them. Not enough experience yet to form solid opinions on fuel burn and/or longevity, but first impressions are that they make starting a LOT easier, and everyone using them says their engines run smoother than before. Installation is apparently a piece of cake, per some of the A&P/IAs on the forum.

Any ideas of what a legacy mag weighs? Losing weight from the nose is always good, especially when it is in front of the firewall. The 6 cylinder versions of these come in right at 5 pounds. Better running engine, lighter, no maintenance. Sounds very nice. I believe the experimental guys have been running up some hours on them

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

These are the guys who started Sky-Tec starters and Plane Power alternators. They have been running them on an experimental for several years.

Read all the information online and then went by and talked to Damon at the booth today. Approved on the Super c Cub and lots of other airplanes and engines. The timing advance feature is only approved on a hand full but they are issuing more models daily. Only difference is pulling a plug and changing a few dip switches so the unit will advance timing. Has two bearings that should last a life time and a couple of pickup magnets. Nothing to adjust or wear. Plug and play. Does need battery power to start but will run 30 minutes on a 9 volt battery and can be started with the same.

Read all the information online and then went by and talked to Damon at the booth today. Approved on the Super c Cub and lots of other airplanes and engines. The timing advance feature is only approved on a hand full but they are issuing more models daily. Only difference is pulling a plug and changing a few dip switches so the unit will advance timing. Has two bearings that should last a life time and a couple of pickup magnets. Nothing to adjust or wear. Plug and play. Does need battery power to start but will run 30 minutes on a 9 volt battery and can be started with the same.

Steve,

Sent you a PM

Jeff

Last edited:
If one has Bendix mags do you just buy the $300 Slick harness to plug and play on the emag side?

Yes the Surefly uses a Slick harness, the Bendix harness will not work. Don't understand the question about having two impulse mags. I don't see an issue running Surefly with an impulse, it does modify the timing at start up like an impulse.

From https://www.surefly.aero/
"SureFly is an FAA certified electronic (solid state) magneto replacement. The SureFly Ignition Module replaces one magneto - generally the left or impulse-coupled/starting magneto on most aircraft. 4 and 6-Cylinder models are available for Lycoming and Continental engines:".

I would rather keep the impulse mag, and substitute the surefly for the non-impulse mag.
That was if the surefly fails, and or you have a dead battery and no transistor radio battery backup,
you can still easily start your engine on the impulse mag.

My impulsed Slicks are getting old. My spark plugs too....

But my harnesses are like new!

Combined with automotiv plugs, those mags could be on my wish list?

"SureFly is an FAA certified electronic (solid state) magneto replacement. The SureFly Ignition Module replaces one magneto - generally the left or impulse-coupled/starting magneto on most aircraft. 4 and 6-Cylinder models are available for Lycoming and Continental engines:".

I would rather keep the impulse mag, and substitute the surefly for the non-impulse mag.
That was if the surefly fails, and or you have a dead battery and no transistor radio battery backup,

I think most of the big bore continentals have impulses on both sides. I know our 520A does. The 320 in the cub only has one impulse.

Tim

The whole idea behind the Surely as I see it is getting away from moving parts that fail like points, impulse couplings etc. Had a good talk with Joe Login from Champion/Slick yesterday and if I have to replace a mag this looks like a cost effective economic solution.

The 9 volt battery trick was first shown on the install video on the website and my discussion with Damon at the Surely booth.

The idea that it’s maybe 1-2lbs lighter than a traditional mag is icing on the cake.

My thinking too.

Is the benefit here more fuel savings or not having to do the 500 hour inspection every 1000 hours?

From what I'm hearing from the folks who have them (I do not), the main benefit is MUCH easier starting, negligible lead fouling, followed by the "no moving parts = no TBO" factor. Fuel savings are hard to document until you've flow a while in various situations. But those other things are immediate.

Is the benefit here more fuel savings or not having to do the 500 hour inspection every 1000 hours?

Yep, no maintenance. Fuel savings will be seen up high but not down in the dirt. There is a chart on their site that shows the timing change as manifold pressure goes down.

Surefly mags

Any one running one? If so, how is it working out? Did you replace your impulse coupled mag?

Thanks for any input

Kurt

Any one running one? If so, how is it working out? Did you replace your impulse coupled mag?

Thanks for any input

Kurt

Not a direct report, but I have a Husky customer that just installed one on a 200 hp airplane and they love it. The improved hot start is the biggest advantage they noted. They also have a 180 hp carbureted Husky and have no plans to upgrade those ones.

The Electroair system is pricier and more intensive to install but the ability to advance the timing is sweet. You can get a super-smooth low idle. I don’t know how much the Surefly system contributes to this but I know they are working on being able to adjust timing.

—Amy

Back