• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Do you have your head up your as.?

nesincg

BENEFACTOR
Chattanooga, TN (KAPT)
It has been a few years, so it is time to revisit this. Today is the end of colon cancer awareness month and, chances are, you didn't even know that. That's cool. No pink ribbons or pink everywhere. The butt is not as attractive part of the body, however it still affects a lot of people, and I'm one of them. Please don't skip this post. Took me a while, so you owe me to read a little. Might just save you or someone you know.

A few quick facts:
-140,000 people are diagnosed with it each year, and 50,000 die from it.
-The rate of younger people diagnosed has been increasing every year. I was diagnosed at 43, but had signs for years. My own Oncologist was working with 3 others my age.
-Easily one of the most preventable cancers, just needs to be detected early.
-People with an immediate relative who has colon cancer have 2-3 times the risk of developing the disease. This includes you Tommy Erwin.

How to get checked:
-Get screened every 10 years once you turn 40. Yes I said 40. Insurance won't cover a screening until age 50 but the ACS recommends getting one at 45. Others folks, including me, recommend 40. If you have family history, start at 35. Two people I personally know have followed this early age advice and have needed it.
-The screening, called a colonoscopy, isn't all that bad, it just puts a damper on a few days of your life. You'll fast all day, drink some nasty stuff in the evening, spend a few hours on the can, than go checked the next day. You'll be asleep and won't even know what happened.
-Colon cancer often starts as a polyp and progresses over a few years. The colonoscopy is crucial because it can detect a polyp prior to it becoming cancerous. They simply remove it during the screening, and mostly likely tell you to come back in 3 years. Bam, no colon cancer like I had (90% preventable).

If your insurance doesn't cover a colonoscopy because of your age, you have some options:
-If you have any of the symptoms below, your doctor should be able to get it approved.
-If you want to pay outright, it will cost 2-3K. If they find something during the test, insurance will then cover it.
-You can also get a fexlible sigmoidoscopy at a doctors office. It is basically the first half of the colon, but where many of the cancers start. You'll be awake for this, it is not as thorough, but should only cost 200-300 bucks if not at a hospital.
-There is a new test called Cologuard. You sent a stool sample and it detects 92% of colon cancer. It does not detect pre cancer polyps very well. Do not do this if you have a family history.

Reasons to get a screening:

• Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Blood in stool (me). Do not let someone tell you it is just hemorrhoids. Mostly likely that is the cause, but HAVE IT CHECKED.
  • Fatigue (me)
  • Unexplained weight loss
  • Abdominal pain
  • Bloating
  • You've turned 40.

Do not delay acting on any of this. Do not think it is because you are just getting older. Do not say "it can't happen to me". Do not say "I don't want to know." You WILL KNOW eventually, and it will be bad day.

Some links with more information:
https://stopcoloncancernow.com/colon-cancer-prevention
https://piedmontcolorectal.com/news/colon-cancer-awareness-month-2017/
https://www.cologuardtest.com/meet-cologuard/how-effective-is-cologuard

Good reminder, Chris. My dear friend Tom Wardleigh, who many on this list knew, dies of colon cancer. While he was a lot older than you, he had a flex sigmoidoscopy done, as opposed to a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy could have caught the cancer in time, but the sigmoidoscopy didn’t. His cancer was in the upper region of the colon.

I visited him a few days before he passed, and he made me promise to have a colonoscopy. I did a short while later, and polyps were found. Been having colonoscopies regularly since. The good news is my last one was the first to show no polyps.

So, thanks for the reminder. You’ve offered some very good advice.

MTV

chris.jpg

Thanks for the reminder!

Chris dropped into KMKC the other day in this little toy. Great to see him back in the work saddle!

Attachments

• chris.jpg
    chris.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 1,173
I've had 2, the first 1 didn't come with a GPS or road map so I then got to enjoy a Barium mapping so they could find the curves by my scenic overlooks. All 3 in less then 2 weeks, fun stuff

Glenn

Frank Cuddy, USMC. True war hero. Flew with him for quite a few years, he died way too young from this. Our CEO at the time was also Chairman of The Board of Trustees of Dana Farber Cancer Institute and he was angry - he said NO ONE should die from this disease. Get checked.

My dad died of colon cancer so I'm a believer in colonoscopies. Just had my 5th last month. All clear.

I had an MRI of my lower back prior to a treatment. They found a spot on one lung. That led to a CT scan, which found a cyst on my liver. Yep, another test that found a cyst in my kidney. You guessed it, another CT. All benign, but now it's almost time to check the lung again. I guess I'm pleased to have my innards so well photographed. My doc calls it coincidentalitis.

I had one 2 yrs ago after the previous post about this by Chris. I do know of two goof ups where a hole was poked where it shouldn't have been so try to go where they have a good reputation.

I lived for decades with no insurance. Once I got insurance a few years back I made an appointment. The only part I truly did not like was it was about 0°F out and heavy snow and wind when I drove uptown long before sunrise. No one at the desk when I walked in, a nurse came from out back, I said I could not recall if I had a 6:00 or when. It was 5:45, she checked and said she had 7am for me, here go in this room and change into these.
I was out by 7. Got some diverticulitis but he gave me the 10 year. Great doctor and best nurses I have ever worked with. I have a bad leg that can not be straight nor bent far, they were attentive and cautious.
Last thing I heard from the German sounding doctor was, I use this thing bigger than a baseball bat, with a smile on his face.
Heck I think it was more than a few years now.

What are the opinions about the alternative tests, my wife in her early 60s finally accepted a fecal scan. Called it Poop in a box, I read mixed signals on these and other tests.

Good reminder, Chris. My dear friend Tom Wardleigh, who many on this list knew, dies of colon cancer. While he was a lot older than you, he had a flex sigmoidoscopy done, as opposed to a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy could have caught the cancer in time, but the sigmoidoscopy didn’t. His cancer was in the upper region of the colon.

I visited him a few days before he passed, and he made me promise to have a colonoscopy. I did a short while later, and polyps were found. Been having colonoscopies regularly since. The good news is my last one was the first to show no polyps.

So, thanks for the reminder. You’ve offered some very good advice.

MTV

Tom was my instructor when I got my private pilot's license. I was one of his last students, and it was truly a privilege to learn from that man. I didn't realize that it was colon cancer specifically that ended his life. I teach high school Biology and devote a couple of weeks to the study of cancer. I talk to my students specifically about getting screened for colon cancer in addition to some other preventative steps (sunscreen, etc.). I turned 40 last year. I guess it's about time to put action to my words.

I teach high school Biology and devote a couple of weeks to the study of cancer. I talk to my students specifically about getting screened for colon cancer in addition to some other preventative steps (sunscreen, etc.). I turned 40 last year. I guess it's about time to put action to my words.
And for the boys and girls, gender-specific screenings. Prostate cancer killed my younger brother in his 40's, and threatened me but was caught in time and eliminated with surgery. I absolutely hate the "C" word. It's wicked.

I have in the last three years lost three friends, in each case the CEO of a great company he built and just getting to the stage where, in their early sixties, they were beginning to hand over the reins to younger people while they set about starting to enjoy the fruits of their labours - all cut short by colon cancer. Very sobering. I get tested - in fact I have had the gastroscopy too on a two for one deal...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

A great reminder...believe me, a colonoscopy is easy, what is not easy is the latter which for me has been 13 sessions of chemo, over ten CT scans, two PET scans and many blood draws along with six surgeries including the removal of 60% of my liver...yes Stage IV. Once my liver regenerates I will have another 6 months of chemo...fun stuff. In all well over one million in medical bills. I am blessed in many aspects...great doctors and medical staff, as well as family and friends...I am humbly optimistic...as noted a great reminder from NISINCG. Best to each of you....

My sister in law died at 41, colon/rectal cancer... diagnosed at 40... left three kids, I have her now 6 year old girl... I checked with my insurance and they won’t pay until I’m 50... have my 6 month checkup dr appointment in a couple weeks, going to try again for insurance, if no go going for the cheaper alternative..

By the way I have a neighbor that has the same cancer my sis had, he’s 32...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister in law died at 41, colon/rectal cancer... diagnosed at 40... left three kids, I have her now 6 year old girl... I checked with my insurance and they won’t pay until I’m 50... have my 6 month checkup dr appointment in a couple weeks, going to try again for insurance, if no go going for the cheaper alternative..

By the way I have a neighbor that has the same cancer my sis had, he’s 32...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure you haven't seen dark or bloody stool lately? If so, they better check that out.

A number of years back a friend of mine who waited quite some years but finally gave in, went in early morning. They found a large lump up where the small meets large, but there were 18 or so pollips as well, they never woke him from the exam, they went right in to get them.
When he woke his lady was sitting next to him and it was dark out. It was in the evening then.
He went back in a month later to get the big one. Today he is doing well still.

Are you sure you haven't seen dark or bloody stool lately? If so, they better check that out.

I don't show any of the signs, but I figure I'm going on 47 end of the month and watching Amanda die of it makes me a bit gun shy so I want to get it checked for my piece of mind more than anything else..

Brian

Thank you much for the reminder once again. Really guys it isnt a big deal just getting a gopro shoved up your @$$. working on getting mine scheduled for july. Like you all I have lost friends and family to Colon cancer. Please do it for you your family and your friends.

JP

Laura and I did them again last year. She asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said for her to get a colonoscopy... What do you give the guy who has everything? :)

sj

My dad died from this. Back in the 70's they didn't check people out like we do now. Life saver. Like a day off from school in exchange for the rest of your life.

I have had 3 colonoscopys. All came out with no runs, no hits, no errors. Maybe if I would have had my head up my as*, I wouldn't have had my 3 brain surgeries this past year:lol:. Seriously though, thank you for reminding everyone the importance of having the check-up. Catch it early, treat it early. Keep up with your preventative check-ups. Jon

Just weighing in and agreeing with the others. I'm on the five year plan after some polyp removals last year.

Agree 100% with the OP. At age 40 ended up getting scoped chasing a stomach pain. Stage 2 polyps doc said I wouldn't have made it to 50. Now I'm on the every 3 years program and every three years they find more polyps. Turns out my grandfather who died at age 54 from colon cancer when I was eight but was never passed on to me by my father who also died very early. Moral of that story is make sure your relatives and downline get a proper heads up!

Back